PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
While vintage Britwood remains my focus, it's not the only area of pipe collecting that engages me. Here a some examples of more contemporary pipes that I enjoy. They are either a very good example of their genre, witty in design, or special in some other way that appeals to me.

Ken Barnes rough top straight grain, one of only a few "K" grades to be made. Ken was a friend and he was devoted to continuing the tradition of the British straight grain:

VGiKrCR.jpg

M9lETaK.jpg

Two pipes by Paul Tatum, about whom I also created a page on Pipedia:

First off, a volcano that looks like a volcano through the imaginative use of a highly detailed sandblast;

VeXDgAf.jpg

Fins and flames, a hot rod pipe by Paul:

Noymfd9.jpg

5D4GFwK.jpg

A Castello Occhio di Pernice with exceptional birds eye:

Qdq441c.jpg

Trever Talbert cauldron It looks like it's ready to blow, and the spew of ash in the custom poured stem works with the theme:

ZJknN9T.jpg

6m0kyBQ.jpg

Hope that you enjoyed the images.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
While vintage Britwood remains my focus, it's not the only area of pipe collecting that engages me. Here a some examples of more contemporary pipes that I enjoy. They are either a very good example of their genre, witty in design, or special in some other way that appeals to me.

Ken Barnes rough top straight grain, one of only a few "K" grades to be made. Ken was a friend and he was devoted to continuing the tradition of the British straight grain:

VGiKrCR.jpg

M9lETaK.jpg

Two pipes by Paul Tatum, about whom I also created a page on Pipedia:

First off, a volcano that looks like a volcano through the imaginative use of a highly detailed sandblast;

VeXDgAf.jpg

Fins and flames, a hot rod pipe by Paul:

Noymfd9.jpg

5D4GFwK.jpg

A Castello Occhio di Pernice with exceptional birds eye:

Qdq441c.jpg

Trever Talbert cauldron It looks like it's ready to blow, and the spew of ash in the custom poured stem works with the theme:

ZJknN9T.jpg

6m0kyBQ.jpg

Hope that you enjoyed the images.
I do not so much mind your sadism, after all de Sade is my favourite novellist.
But the embarrassment, the extreme embarrassment !

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I do not so much mind your sadism, after all de Sade is my favourite novellist.
But the embarrassment, the extreme embarrassment !
Isn't that the fun of it? Collectors have different approaches to their collecting habit. I like things are are unique and/or demonstrate some higher level of creativity. Even with the Barling's, I've not often bought the mainstay models, but the more obscure, creative, and occasionally unique models. Barling Niblicks and calabashes? Less than a handful have turned up in the past 15 years that I've been searching. And there's the WW1 era Barling catalog, the only known complete copy, that fell into my lap. In that respect I've been extraordinarily lucky. It seems that these unique pieces find their way to me.

And because I have to do this on a tight budget I've left a lot of desirable stuff on the table because I won't pay market or above prices. I collect images of them for study instead. The only real exceptions to buying at less than market are the unsmoked Barling companion set and the WW1 era Barling catalog. Everything else was bought for considerably less, 1/4 to 2/3 prevailing market prices at that time. I'm happy with my motley little pile.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I knew it was just a matter of time before Jesse came up with the goods. Thanks Jesse I never tire of looking at your collection. What some people may not know is that Jesse is the foremost collector of Baring pipes in the world. The history surrounding those pipes is incredible and the condition in which he keeps them is impressive as hell.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Isn't that the fun of it? Collectors have different approaches to their collecting habit. I like things are are unique and/or demonstrate some higher level of creativity. Even with the Barling's, I've not often bought the mainstay models, but the more obscure, creative, and occasionally unique models. Barling Niblicks and calabashes? Less than a handful have turned up in the past 15 years that I've been searching. And there's the WW1 era Barling catalog, the only known complete copy, that fell into my lap. In that respect I've been extraordinarily lucky. It seems that these unique pieces find their way to me.

And because I have to do this on a tight budget I've left a lot of desirable stuff on the table because I won't pay market or above prices. I collect images of them for study instead. The only real exceptions to buying at less than market are the unsmoked Barling companion set and the WW1 era Barling catalog. Everything else was bought for considerably less, 1/4 to 2/3 prevailing market prices at that time. I'm happy with my motley little pile.
That IS exactly the fun of it ! I'm sure you appreciate my wit and we could not do without you and your
" amazing motley little pile " anymore.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Some wonderful pipes in this thread. @sablebrush52's Barlings deserve special mention. Although I love seeing the variety, beauty, and historical significance of pipes posted on this site, thankfully it doesn't trigger my PAD. I do, however, often end up with blends that I've seen you all smoke. I've not yet paid over $100 for a pipe, though I may cross that threshold and treat myself this Christmas. At this stage of my pipe smoking journey (3 years in this month), my urgency is to use available dollars to accumulate tobaccos I enjoy in case the legislative and/or economic landscape changes.
You did the right thing, man.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
How you enjoying Andrey’s tulips? Those are beauties, enjoy them and be well! ❤️

@Chasing Embers

So what’s the deal with Andrey’s tulips, how are they working out still? I asked you, you didn’t reply... 🤔

I know in the past you gave him nice praises, and since I learned about him, he is now selling on Blue Room Briars.

He really makes some beautiful shapes, and certainly deserves more recognition. ❤️