1908 Barling Gourd Calabash - Again, sorry for the lousy images:
L6Hv6Lx.jpg

1908 Barling Briar Calabash:
eu06MEb.jpg

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
Sablebrush is not merely collecting- he is a historian in a way. Seeing these old pipes from the 1890’s with machined parts is interesting - I would have guessed them to be of simpler construction back then. That’s a beautiful group of artifacts he has rounded up. It would be hard for me to not smoke out of them.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
Some wonderful pipes in this thread. @sablebrush52's Barlings deserve special mention. Although I love seeing the variety, beauty, and historical significance of pipes posted on this site, thankfully it doesn't trigger my PAD. I do, however, often end up with blends that I've seen you all smoke. I've not yet paid over $100 for a pipe, though I may cross that threshold and treat myself this Christmas. At this stage of my pipe smoking journey (3 years in this month), my urgency is to use available dollars to accumulate tobaccos I enjoy in case the legislative and/or economic landscape changes.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Some wonderful pipes in this thread. @sablebrush52's Barlings deserve special mention. Although I love seeing the variety, beauty, and historical significance of pipes posted on this site, thankfully it doesn't trigger my PAD. I do, however, often end up with blends that I've seen you all smoke. I've not yet paid over $100 for a pipe, though I may cross that threshold and treat myself this Christmas. At this stage of my pipe smoking journey (3 years in this month), my urgency is to use available dollars to accumulate tobaccos I enjoy in case the legislative and/or economic landscape changes.
Smart!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Will you ever start smoking them ?
I find myself reluctant ( understatement ) to break in high end unsmoked pipes, So many to smoke.
No. An unsmoked set from this period is unique. Put a match to them and they're just more old pipes. I have no shortage of smoked vintage pipes. I know exactly how they will smoke. The companion set is like a time machine. It's more pleasurable and interesting to have them exactly as they were when made over a century ago.