PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I had forgotten about this, Esoterica Margate was probably the nastiest smoke I've ever smoked.
still not sure if it was just a rotten batch or what, but blech, big time

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
To each his own taste... but I hate anything with flavoring or heavy topping. I stay away from fruit flavors especially!

Most tobacco's have some topping I know, but if I can taste it, it's gone.
TopD

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
I noticed one poster saying this bad tobacco would ghost the pope. This has to be the line of the year. :clap: :rofl: :rofl:Now i is right next to o on the keyboard so I guess this is an unintended line, but I enjoyed it.

grizzly86

Apr 5, 2012
Peterson-De Luxe Mixture was the only tobacco I have gotten that I would not even finish the tin. It had a very chemical taste to it.
@bronxbriar I have only had one offering by McClelland and that was Scottish Woods. It is great; sometimes spicy, sometimes fruity. Goes great with some Glenfiddich.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
I won't say I hate any tobacco but there are some I will never smoke again.
Haunted bookshop

Penzance

Kendal cream

and Both SWR's

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Irish Coffee aromatic done by my local tobacco shop. That houseblend tasted extremely ransid like smoking month-old rice.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I haven't tried that many, but when I started back smoking I bought Cornell and Diehl Autumn Evening. It smells so good but made me sick every time I smoked it. Finally got rid of it. I think it's the Virginia Cavendish that gets to me. I dont like heavy flavoring but sometimes cherry or vanilla. I love Perique - tastes like a good BBQ brisket.

May 25, 2012
CAO's Bella Vanilla, I dont know what those guys were going for, but it couldnt have been vanilla; it tasted like it was cured in the ass of a dead dog. Oh yeah, Mixture 79....bleh

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I haven't had something i couldn't stand but have a limited view being new.
I am surprise to see Penzance an a few lists.
I've seen people treat this as the best out there???

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
As a new pipe smoker I really haven't come across anything I hated but when I've looked for something new to try I've found it useful to evaluate the reviewer, when I find a reviewer that gives good ratings to blends I like, I try other blends they like. This has worked out good for me so far.
On the other hand when I see a reviewer that only gives the highest rating to the most expensive blends and has nothing good to say about any OTC or less expensive blends I tend to ignore them as I figure they are totally full of "merde de cheval". ;)
BTW... anyone try merde de cheval ?
Rob
$$ I cried because I had no shoes...then I saw a man with no feet...and I laughed and laughed and laughed ! $$

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I've seen people treat this as the best out there???

Yep. But everyone's opinion is right for them, so Penzance is not their blend. It's OK. More for hobie... :lol:
Anyway, I like just about everything, but Burley-heavy blends are not on that list. Tastes too much like a cigarette for me to enjoy. So I don't smoke 'em.
-Jason
*edit*- unix: no I haven't tried it, but it IS in my TAD list. I've heard it's good from some members who used to frequent here...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
“On the other hand when I see a reviewer that only gives the highest rating to the most expensive blends and has nothing good to say about any OTC or less expensive blends I tend to ignore them as I figure they are totally full of "merde de cheval".”
Actually, I’m one of those guys who prefers premium grade tobaccos from McClelland and Cornell & Diehl. I think they use better raw ingredients and fewer (if any) preservatives than mass produced drug store blends. Feel free to ignore my opinions, but to say I’m ‘full of horse sh/t” is just childish.

rudegger

Lurker
Jun 4, 2012
So far the only tobacco's that i haven't enjoyed were, Mac Baren's Honey and Chocolate, and Vanilla Flake as well as Peterson's University Flake. Honey and chocolate is ok for the first 1/4 of the bowl, after that it reall starts to irritate my mouth, Vanilla Flake and University Flake are worse than cigarettes to me, very bland with a bad taste.

steve

Lurker
Jun 15, 2012
I have been less than impressed with some of the Peterson blends. I found Sherlock Holmes and Irish Whiskey really boring. Also, no matter what I did, they burned too hot and the tongue bite was quite bad. I did give them a fair chance, but after half a dozen bowls I just had to give them away

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I've been fortunate that I haven't found anything I "hate" yet (give it time, I'm sure), but I have a weird love/hate thing going with this shop blend I picked up the other day. It's an aromatic (cause that's what I like) and it smells GREAT, but it's just wet, wet, WET! I hate to touch it when I load my pipe. I usually let it dry a bit and I'll "puff" on the pipe unlit to hopefully help dry it out, but once lit it tastes wonderful. One other thing I dislike is how it tends to pop a little as I get about halfway through the bowl. Weird stuff.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
Though I will not say that I hate, but I do avoid blends that are made up of only Black Cavendish. Also I'm not crazy about Billy Budd...if I wanted my pipe to taste like a cigar I'd rather smoke a cigar.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I usually do not like to use the word hate when describing something as subjective as pipe tobacco flavors, but I do hate with a PASSION any virginia tobacco from McClelland. There is something in their tobacco which literally fries my tongue. The minute the smoke hits my tongue I get an acid burn. I have tried many of their blends, many Ashton blends and they all do the same thing to me. Mind you it is not the flavor that I do not care for it is the acidic burn on my tongue that I cannot tolerate. I smoke a ton of virginia flakes and vapers and none do that to me like McClelland.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Another vote for Borkum Riff (Whiskey...urgh...), but to be honest I had a heck of a time finishing my first and only pouch of MacB's Plumcake many moons ago. Not even curious enough to try it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.