PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the Devil farts Samuel Gawith 1792, I'm packing my bags for Hell.
msandoval858, if you hated Molto Douche, you really will not like Barbados Plantation. But you should try Sutliff's Balkan Luxury Blend, it's a treat, sans tricks.
Personally, I can't say that I've met a blend that I hate. I dislike 1Q, primarily because of the permanent aromatic damage it does to pipes, and I will not smoke Barbados again, because it ghosted my car. But in the interest of research, I'll keep looking for the one blend to hate. It's a tough job.

morrick

Lurker
Apr 19, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Add me to the Clan haters. I bought a pouch when I was a real newbie and threw it away after one smoke. Another brand in the "never again" category is Amsterdamer. I don't know if it's still in circulation, but if you come across it, avoid it. It has a fine cut that resembles hand rolling tobacco. It burns as fast, and it's practically flavourless.
Cheers,

Rick

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
So far there's only been one tobacco that I could not finish one bowl of...that was C'est La Vie French Vanilla. I lit it..tamped...relit...relit....relit...relit...put the matches down, got a lighter, relit...one puff...ugh. A few sips, it's sizzling and crackling in the bowl...and tastes like I'm smoking perfume. I cleaned the pipe, aired it, and gave the pouch to my sister in law, because she liked the smell in pouch. She's got a small bowl of it, using it as potpourri now. I've had a few 'not buying it again' tobaccos, but CLV is the only one I despise.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I went back and read my posts from a year ago .The 221b still stinks of Long John Silvers Malt Vinegar after three years but I have managed to work my way though half of the tin .The Mason jar has been kind to the Three Friars but I will not buy it again .There is no hope for the Epiphany it is the most horrid and vile of all .Containing instant tongue bite and throat gagging reflex with its odor of Kimchi and unwashed gym socks once lit . If there is tobacco in hell I am sure it will be one of the offerings along with a metal bowl Haojue pipe .YMMV

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Just ran across this thread so I'll jump in. However, asking what tobacco(s) people 'hate' is basically the same as asking what tobacco(s) they 'love' as it's all subjective. Anyway, I had the misfortune of ordering all of the Frog Morton blends at one time. I can't stomach the stench emanating from the tins much less the putrid taste. They all smell and taste the same way to me so I'm assuming it's the Latakia.
I also ordered some Carter Hall at one time and only tired it three times and I always came to the same conclusion. It seemed to be a tobacco that would be better suited for rolling into cigarettes rather than stuffing into a pipe. But, there ya go as the tobacco's that I mentioned and hate are the very same ones that others love! :wink:

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
I recently bought a tin of SG Scotch cut mixture, it's the first blend I've come across that I honestly can't smoke. It smells and tastes like burning nuts and it leaves an unpleasant and rather acrid aftertaste.

bookn3rd5

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2012
I don't really hate any tobaccos, but there are a couple that I wouldn't buy again. Trout Stream is a popular one among the forums - gave it a go, but I just don't like it. I don't get any flavor out if it; I've given an ounce or two of it away and have another 2 ounces in my cellar. Don't plan on going back to it anytime soon, but who knows. Preferences can change over time I suppose.

elliott

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2014
I am a "Noob" but so far I can say that I hate the Drew Estate Central Park Stroll, I have had about 10 bowls of it and just cant get the taste for it, I am going to try and mix it with something and see if I can make use of it. By itself it tastes like chemicals. Anyone else tried mixing it with anything worth hinting to me?

dryseason91

Can't Leave
Oct 10, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Fox's Hibernia. Supposedly it contains both Kentucky and perique but all I can taste is the vanilla topping, which is on the sickly-vomity end of the spectrum.

rockytopva

Lurker
Jul 30, 2014
Another vote for Ennerdale.
Tasted like I was smoking some flowery perfumed soap. Woke up the next morning and was still tasting it. It was almost like getting my mouth washed out with soap. But usually that would happen after cursing, this time I cursed after the soap. What's worse is the next day I smoked a bowl of CB white and kept tasting the perfume. Then had a bowl of Dunhill 965 and still kept tasting it a little. Not sure if that pipe will ever be the same.
It's too bad too, because after smoking too many bland, mild, tasteless aromatics I finally find a medium strength, full flavored one but it tastes awful. Can anyone recommend a similarly full flavored aromatic that tastes good?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah another vote for Epiphany, I'll still smoke it because the Canadian in me just can't justify ever flushing a tobacco. Luckily it's one of the 2 jars that smashed when my cat knocked one of my boxes over. I managed to save it, there's just a bit of glass shards here and there, but I still smoke it once in a while, but it's nothing to write home about. Reading the reviews it's one of the few blends I've thought I'd enjoy but just don't, it's harsh, acrid, etc.... For all the lakeland haters kendal flake is nothing at all like a soapy taste, it's a citrus taste. It's basically a lightly cased high quality Va with a nice citrus taste to it.

Mar 1, 2014
Any McClelland Virginia.
I know what Escudo tastes like, and St. James Flake, and Orlik Golden Slice, and a McClelland Virginia or VaPer tastes more like a strong dark flake than anything.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I haven't tried any drugstore blends so I can't comment on those. I am like many of you who hates a lasting aftertaste and I haven't found a cherry that didn't leave one for a very long time. Also I really, really can't deal with deer tongue. I bought a couple of examples and once I tried the first (4noggins Imagine) I gave away the rest.

There are some that have given me terrible nic hits, but if I liked the flavor I just adjusted how I smoke them. A bowl of Haddo's Delight will last me all day, instead of that hour and half I smoked it, then passed out for a couple of hours.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
McClelland Bulk No. 800 Black and Lemon. Trashed it after 1 1/2 bowls. Bites like you're drinking a cup of boiling lemon flavored cleaning product, pledge?

I love McC's, especially their VA's, they should stick to that, not aromatics.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Ennerdale... hands down. Just had to try a Lakeland blend out of curiosity and NEVER again! I think I'd rather take a bar of Palmolive soap, grate it up and smoke that. I honestly didn't know if I should draw on the ste, or blow on it to see if I could make soap bubbles! Smoked about half a bowl, gagged, and then promptly washed out my mouth with mouthwash. Thankfully I had enough sense to smoke it in a MM cob and I almost tossed the damn thing out but thankfully both I and the pipe survived.
As I mentioned earlier on this thread I dislike all of the Frog Morton blends, but that is because I just strongly dislike Latakia. However, I really enjoy Mississippi River on occasion which contains Latakia, but I imagine that is because it contains a very minimal amount of it. A hint of it isn't all that bad for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.