PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

michalski

Lurker
Apr 16, 2013
CAO's Bella Vanilla
*I wouldn't mind trading my tin for something else (almost full, smoked it twice, no more)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the holiday blends add too many spices to give them a holiday scent and these, while smelling wonderful,

and tasting really zesty at first, soon do a chemical burn in your mouth that is no holiday treat. Cinnamon, pine,

and similar ingredients are probably not suitable for pipe tobacco. Maybe burn them as incense instead. I finally

threw a tin of the stuff out. I tried blending it, to cut the bite, but it was always a problem.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Esoterica Cardiff.
I bought an 8-oz. bag on spec from my local B&M. It was in the old packaging, with the old price. I love Penzance, and I love Virginias, so I was happy to bring it home.
It burned the ever-loving daylights out my mouth. I tried it mixed with everything I could think of, spritzed it with whiskey and rum and let it dry - nothing doing. No pipe could keep that mixture from flaying the inside of my mouth. Smoking slow and easy only prolonged the agony.
Here's the turn-around:
Then I started cleaning up some of my wife's grandfather's pipes and came across a Kaywoodie from the '50s. I don't like the stingers, but thought I'd try the pipe out. Lo and behold: the Cardiff is amazing in it. It's gentle and sweet with the slightest hint of spice. The small bowl is just right for this, too.
So: a pipe I don't like and a blend I don't like come together to make a really enjoyable smoke - one I have now a couple of times per week. The wife says the blend smells like chocolate and is very pleasant.
So I hate it, except when I don't. Maybe this isn't the best reply for this thread, but that blend kept me hopping for months before I found a solution.

Apr 6, 2013
The Jøns series (1-4). My local tobacco store's own aromatic blends. They are sickely fruity-sweet flavoured and just poor quality. Though I seem to be the only pipesmoker in my town that feels that way :p

kalvort

Might Stick Around
May 18, 2013
Oh My Days!!
Guys just want to say going through all these posts, it is absolutely amazing how everyone has contradicting tastes. It's the beauty of pipe smoking! You can smoke whatever you like, and there's no guarantee that you'll hate it or love it. I mean after all the glowing reviews of Penzance and 1Q and even Frog Morton I thought I wouldn't see them here.
Let this be a lesson, especially for new pipe smokers like myself... Experiment and try them all ;)
PS: I didn't like Davidoff Royalty... Tasted funny!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
How odd. Just today I was in my B&M telling the girl I had yet to try a tobacco I didnt really enjoy. Then I came home and popped SG 1792 in my T. Cristiano C104... dude, wtf. It burns worse than the morning after a cheap hooker. Please, God tell me this stuff mellows out, theres some pixie dust or something I can add, anything!

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Hobbit's Weed.
Every review of it that I had read in every pipe smoker forum was totally accurate, and written by devoted fans of it. Their enthusiasm sold me, even though I'm not an aromatics lover.
It is so sickly sweet and perfumed, I could not get through bowl one.
I'm sticking with English, Oriental, and Virginia mixtures.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
How odd. Just today I was in my B&M telling the girl I had yet to try a tobacco I didnt really enjoy. Then I came home and popped SG 1792 in my T. Cristiano C104... dude, wtf. It burns worse than the morning after a cheap hooker. Please, God tell me this stuff mellows out, theres some pixie dust or something I can add, anything!
That 1792 is a tough one. I tried it about eight years ago, and it knocked me out of my chair. I had the symptoms of nicotine poisoning, which had happened to me only one other time in my life, and that was from a Havana RyJ robusto of some kind. Maybe the Serie D.
I gave my 1792 tin, which took me some effort to acquire at that time as I recall, to a far more experienced pipe smoker friend of mine.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Captain Black (any color) I just dont understand how some guys roll through bag after bag of the stuff, I liken it to the life long bud light drinkers.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I bought a pound of Father Orin based on the tobaccos in the blend and I was smoking mainly aros when I placed the order. Now after two months I open a jar and to me it smells like katsup and vinegar, worse yet is I have the same taste while smokeing this blend. I may try mixing it with some other tobaccos or it may find its way to Briarbid.

hemsworth

Might Stick Around
May 27, 2013
This thread is a great read. I guess that I'm lucky in that I haven't experienced anything which I don't like. The bottom of my list would be something that I picked up at a shop in Plattsburgh that is simply called "315", I'm not sure by whom it is made. It's aromatic...too sweet and has a powerful vanilla aroma. Even so, I still smoke it a couple of times a week. I don't think that I'll buy it again any time soon as there are too many others to try.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Ennerdale!
Holy crap, I filled one of my favorite pipes with and it was horrible. Tried to light it four or five times. It didn't take a light well at all and when it got burning momentarily it tasted horrible. I finally understand the whole, "it's soapy and chemically" thing that people talk about. Worst of all it ghosted the crap out of that pipe. The ghost is slowly fading though so that's good.
If anyone loves the blend hit me up on a private message because I still have practically a full tin of it left.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I have let to hate anything. I probably wouldn't purchase 1792 Flake or SWR again. I somewhat enjoyed the flavors of 1792 Flake, but I don't smoke it often enough to devote a pipe to it. SWR irritates my nose.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Without a doubt the worst tobacco I have ever tasted was SG Firedance flake. It tasted like I puked in my mouth. I have never tasted anything so putrid. Honorable mentions go to Ennerdale, 1792 and GH Rum Flake. I really dislike the Lakeland essence.

rayje589

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2012
Captain Cool. I can't get over the mint taste. I love mint, and can smoke a menthol cigarette without trouble (though usually quite drunk if I'm smoking a cigarette). But for some reason I just can't get over the taste of Captain Cool and end up dumping it halfway through.

dunhillbilly

Lurker
Aug 3, 2013
1792 flake=chocolate bore and Sam's Flake tasted like hot air. I think that put an end to my friendship with Old Sam Gawith.

dermotfahy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Grousemoor... To me, the flavor is most reminiscent of a Yankee candle mixed with car air freshener. The only blend I have ever tried that I actually despised. Glad I tried it in a cob!

Status
Not open for further replies.