PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
Mate
I prefer British Woods to Bombay Extra, but I can see why others would differ. I like more subtle Latakia influence in English blends, and BombayX is a bit too bold for my taste.

Now, with Virginia tobacco I prefer brutality. Go figure!
If you like BombayX but want even more Latakia-heavy strong stuff, may I suggest the mighty Cornell&Diehl 970P: Pirate Kake?
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/english_blends.htm
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=9&TID=388
It is a different construction than your McClelland products, what with the cavendish, but man o man is it bold! I haven't had it in 3 years, but I recall liking it when I was a Latakiaphile.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I have all these these C&D to Try
#066 Star of the East

#416 Plantation Evening

#505 Super Balkan

#968R Red Odessa

#970P Pirate Kake
Have u ever tried Lancer Slices?. I love it, ordered 1 lb yesterday. Find I can smoke it all day
daVinci is supposed to be 75% Latakia, Its nice, but I don't find it that strong
What I having success with is a Dunhill956 Copy from PaylessPipes.com and I add McCllelands (Latakia & Oriental)

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
C&D's Pirate Kake is 70% latakia if that is what you're after.

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I just crumble it between my palms much like I do the coins I cut from ropes and flakes.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
chuckw
I am waiting IMPATIENTLY on my 1 lb Lancer Slices that I hope to get on Monday, so I'll give Pirate Kake a go between now and weekend and give you feedback
John

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
chuckw
I tried some Pirate Kake last night, cut of a piece but when I tried to rub out or cut into smaller pieces, I got a mountain of dust.
I am trying to re-hydrate and will get back to you
BUT GREAT FLAVOR

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
My fav way to rehydrate is to put backy in bowl and cover with damp paper towel. What about you guys?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am going to B&M in LA tomorrow. Found out a shop sells Bill Baily's Balkan Blend. Which is my replacement for Nightcap. I like the Latakia Perique blends.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
dunedain
My fav way to rehydrate is to put backy in bowl and cover with damp paper towel. What about you guys?
I have been using this method for about 2 - 3 months now
I find it works great

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Was released from hospital, so my wonderful wife took me to the local B&M where I purchased 1 can of British Woods & 1 can of S.G. Commonwealth. Will try both tomorrow.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Bob. Just clearing up an infection from a surgery last year. So, now I have just smoked maybe the best English style tobacco ever. British Woods is what every genre blend should attain to be. The best of quality of every ingredient, mixed perfectly. This stuff is the shite! Wow. Like smoking silk. I smoked this a few years ago, when I was a novice. I was a Latakia junkie. I wasn't able to truly appreciate it then. Now after a few years and dabbles into other types of tobaccos like Va Pers and a few (gasp) Aros, I can see that this one is tip-top. Full mustard. Desert island maybe. So tonight I have the S.G. Commonwealth to try. Laters chaps. And again thanks for the well wishes.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Glad you're recovering.
I whole heartedly agree with you about British Woods -- to me it is the quintessential English blend, the Holy Grail of the genre. The search was over when I found that one.
Commonwealth is also very nice, but more planar to my tastebuds.
I've recently been enjoying McClelland's Three Oaks Syrian which is a terrific "single malt" latakia forward blend that I recommend to you too.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Smoked S.G. Commonwealth all day. This is very good weed. S.G. says it contains 50% Latakia, 50% Virginia. After reading some lackluster reviews, I thought it may be too 1 dimensional. It wasn't that way for me. I love this stuff. Perfect moisture for smoking right away. The taste was nice and full. Like a good dark ale. Solid. The Latakia smacks of quality. The Virginia is a good base. The taste in the first 1/4 is a little flat, but it gets better. Much better. Great for reading or watch a movie. I think for the same reason someone may like solid Burley smoke for something like fishing. This is how this blend works for me. No fuss or over thinking. Just good cool smoking Latakia. To the last puff. Laters.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
S.G. Commonwealth is one of my favorites. In case you haven't seen it, my review is here:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/samuel-gawith-commonwealth-pipe-tobacco-review/

Status
Not open for further replies.