PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrtaster

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2009
johnny-come-lately to this thread, but...check out tobaccoreviews and vermont pipes/pipeworks and wilke website. carole burns blends more than a few latakia laced offerings...no. 524 looks like something you might enjoy (syrian latakia, no less). carole burns has a sampler offer available and after trying several you might ask her to modify your choice to your spevific preference.

some of her blends are personal favorites (dummerston, a broken-flake virginia, for instance) and i myself am planning to try 524, as part of my current revisatation to english/oriental/balkan blends.

you'll love carole's accesibility, quick personal service and expert blending skills.

let me know if you try one or more of her blends!

john

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
My current stash of Latakia blends. In no special order.
Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend

McClelland British Woods

S.G. Commonwealth

Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme

Peter Stokkebye Oriental English

Bjarne The Special One

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Black Mallory by Rattray. I finally got around to trying this one. I like it. It does have a good Latakia content. I have to admit I was somewhat disappointed. With the Latakia blends that really turn me on are usually more salty and leathery. This one has a dark peat taste. I have learned to like it. I can't see this one entering my Latakia stable. If I were to buy a Rattray Blend again it would be the Accountant's Mixture, which I prefer over this one. To anyone who likes Latakia, I would suggest trying B.M. because it is a quality weed.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I was curious about Black Mallory (I have yet to try any Rattray blends), but when it was favorably compared by several reviewers with the dreaded 965 I decided to give it a pass.
My latest order from 4noggins [plug] included Captain Earle's Ten Russians. Any confirmed latakia lover owes it to themselves to give this one a try. It's the latakia equivalent of a bone-dry martini.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
My Christmas Latakia order:
2 100g. cans of McClelland's British Woods

1 100g. can of #14 Oriental Mixture

8 ozs. PS Proper English

8 ozs. C&D Home From the Hills.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I went on a latakia rampage about a year ago, I think I burned myself out on blends with it in 'em. Still like squadron leader and fmott.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Sometimes I do that. Somewhat like eating steak all the time. Then I start craving that smokey, salty goodness.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am a fan of Accountants Mixture. I found Black Mallory somewhat monochromatic.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
The Latakia Snob is back
I tried Penzance, very nice. But somehow it has been unavailable for months. Has it been discontinued
Tried Pelican. Its so so, not bad, but not great
MacBarens H&H, not for me
Check my blog entry on how to get rid of unwanted Anti Smoker Cows

jonesing

Feb 11, 2010
I'll bump this thread again and throw in Beck's Ol Limey Bastard.
However it doesn't qualify for the 50%er club. It's a light english that many say is the best reincarnation of 965. Personally I wouldn't know 965 from 911. Never had it. But Beck's is tasty stuff.
By B&B tobacco. Available from 4 Noggins.
Here are reviews.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Mate... I think both of these are worth a try. Peterson's Old Dublin and my current favorite Boswell's Northwoods, which can be purchased in bulk at http://jmboswell.com/index.html

raf66

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2010
If I may humbly weigh in on this topic, I can say that my 3 favorite blends containing Latakia are Frog Morton, SG's Perfection (the title suits it perfectly!!) and SG's Chocolate Flake. While the 2 SG blends have the added flavoring agent, I cannot taste it in either blend (vanilla in Perfection and chocolate in CF, duh). Both blends are very smooth Latakia blends, with mouthfuls of rich flavor. FM is similar but I find that the Latakia plays a more upfront role in FM than the other 2. All 3 are in my rotation.
One other caveat about my opinion on this topic is that I am NOT typically a lover of the Latakia weed. However, these 3 blends have won me over. Good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.