PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I am now trying some Charles Fairmorn Lancer Slices.
I expected some earth moving experience based on reviews, its not bad, but I just don't get any Latakia kick
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=L&TID=2482
To me its taste kind of bland.
Lights well, would smoke it if nothing else was available, but I won't rush out to buy it

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Once I thought I was Wrong, but I was Mistaken
I must apologise to Charles Fairmorn Lancer Slices.
I had 3 pipes of this today, and it keeps getting better.
Tobacco reviews are so subjective, something I thought was so so, literally yesterday is GREAT today
I suspect it has a lot to do with what you have been eating, drinking and smoking, more than pipe, weather etc
Also I had not smoked any cigarettes before having the first two bowls today.
I always remember my father saying when he had his heart attack and stroke and the saw bones said he only had 3 - 6 months to live if he did not get $200,000 he stopped cigarettes. He said his pipes never tasted better, and foods he did not like before he now enjoyed taste.
Note he lived for 10 years after, without the operation, and still smoked pipes, and occasional cigarette....
Those Doctors are almost as big scam artist as Bankers and Politicians
But back to my point. Tobacco Reviews must be the most inexact science on earth.
I also expect that like wine aficionados, when people look at and taste a baccy and say it has this and that, many of them are BS, and if you ask 10 different self proclaimed experts, you will get 10 different opinions.
What I have found is, find someone who seem to have the same taste as you and use them as a benchmark.
EG Admin / Kevin seems to like the same baccys as I do. Also has similar taste in Food and well lets not go there on this forum. But this is why I kept pushing him to SG Commonwealth Mixture.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Nice review Python. Sounds like that blend could use a pinch of Perique for balance. Just a thought. One thing is certain. C&D comes through on the quality leaf.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Great post Mate!
Thanks Dunendain!

I am really starting to love C&D blends. They use quality tobaccos in their blends and their blends range from everywhere from really aromatic to super full english. They literally have something for every taste.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Re Aficionados
I have done this test, do it yourself........... believe me it works
When you are with people that barely know you.
Sip some wine, swirl it around in your mouth, make comments on the rose, body, bouquet, etc, pay special attention to label and read fine print. Make comments on the region.
I have done this and people get really impressed, and think that I am a wine expert.
Now considering my total annual consumption of wines, would be less than 6 bottles.... Thats probably on the high side. My in-depth knowledge of Classic Chinese Literature is probably greater than my knowledge of wines.
Just goes to show how gullible people are and if you pretend you know what you are doing, you can fool most people. Politicians do it and we fall for it.
So any one can set themselves up as a Tobacco expert....
If you can't Dazzle Them With Brillance, Baffle Them With Bull****!

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am always reading about this tobacco or that tobacco that isn't as good as it was in the 70s or 80s. So what. We pipe smokers are lucky that we have all of the great blends of today. From brands like C&D, G.L. Pease, McClelland, Rattrays, Peter Stokkebye, S&G, Esoterica, Peretti, Comptons and more. If Latakia is your want, there are many good ones to choose from. I just wish I had the time and money to try them all. THIS is the golden age of pipe tobacco. IMHO.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
dunendain makes an excellent point.
And its all just a click away. My father liked Copes Escudo and Erimore, but could not get it. While I have any thing available to me. And I don't live in USA.
I also have the wealth of knowledge available to me fro the good folks at sites like this.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
I completely forgot to mention my favorite Latakia-heavy English blend available today:
McClelland's British Woods
I find parsing the differences between English mixtures akin to discussing the components of a good martini; too many minor details. So, for those who like TobaccoReviews:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=B&TID=722

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
analogmoz
I have a Tin Of British Woods to try.
I finished a Tin of McCllelands Bombay Extra and I was very impressed. Bought 5 / 100 gm tins to cellar
May I recommend Lancer Slices / Charles Fairmon (bulk)
I know its available at SmokingPipes.com and PipesandCigars.com
I ordered an oz to try. did not like first bowl. but I peserved and bought smoked another the following day. It was great i just ordered 500 gms
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=L&TID=2482
The Review is wrong, its actually a broken flake, very cool, very easy to keep lit
Lancer's Slices

Brand: Charles Fairmorn

Tin Description: This almost black flake tobacco combines the best grades of naturally sweet Virginia and smoky Latakia, matured together under pressure. A wonderfully smooth and mild yet full-bodied mixture. Very reminiscent of the old Bengal Slices.

Country of Origin: USA

Curing Group: Air Cured

Contents:

Latakia

Cut: Flake

Packaging: bulk

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
Ah, Mate:
I have smoked the Lancer Slices many years ago. I have chased all of the products made by Charles Fairmorn as their Dark Fired Shag was much my favorite tobacco...to roll cigarettes with! It was a mix between old-school Gauloises rolling baccy and Peter Stokkebye's Amsterdam Shag. Fabulous stuff, those...

But, as I was saying--the Lancer Slices are so very affordable, well-behaved, and the mild sweetness of the blend is rightfully acclaimed. It's been a year and a half since I had it last. I should dig about the closet for some...

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
British Woods is one of my top ten favs of all time. First class quality English blend.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
dunendain
The thing is I have joined a new religion, and it has one strict rule, Followers can only smoke baccy that has at least 50% latakia
Does British Woods comply with our stringent moral beliefs?

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Good golly miss Molly. 100 proof. Maybe you should use the advanced search on Tobacco Reviews.com.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
I cannot imagine British Woods is 50% Latakia. The blend is surely rich with Latakia, but there is also a noticeable strain of Macedonian tobacco which complements the Latakia and makes the whole mixture delicious and satisfying, giving it a profile not terribly unlike Lapsang Souchong tea.

Regardless, love it or like it, it would be hard to imagine anyone who enjoys English or Balkan blends not enjoying British Woods.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
dunendain: I did and came up with some interesting TAD's
analogmoz: please don't take everything I say seriously.
as I said, I enjoyed Bombay Court very much, and have a tin of British Woods to try

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I bought some London Blend in bulk yesterday in Sherman Oaks ca. Enjoying a good English I had never tried. It is good stuff. Sold by Dan now.

analogmoz

Lurker
Apr 29, 2009
Mate,
I rarely take anything seriously. That being said:
Seriously, tell us what you think when you smoke the British Woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.