PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troutbum

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
You can get The Churchwarden blend at Watch City Cigar in Framingham , Massachusetts. Here's the URL to order online:
http://www.watchcitycigar.com/search.phtml
Short history of this blend: The store manager, Ernie, asked me one day a few years ago if I could come up with a heavy-bodied English blend. Over the years I've done quite a bit of home blending and I have a feel for what goes together, and what does not.

I conjured up this blend solely in my head and sent Ernie the formula, which he then matched up with specific high quality components. It's currently Watch City's best selling English. Ernie took the blend a step further and now has it made and pressed into a crumble cake by a certain well known tobacco manufacturer. In my opinion the crumble cake version is superior (even though the bulk is excellent) because chemistry resulting from pressing. The blend contains a fair amount of cigar leaf in addition to a significant amount latakia. When I say The Churchwarden is a heavy-bodied English I am not exaggerating; it's not for the faint of heart. I highly recommend this blend—again, not because I designed it, but because it's just flat-out fantastic.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Troutbum
I put Churchwarden on my WishList
Re Wiskey, I'm an island Boy, I love cheap rum, the stuff I drink cost about US$7.00 per bottle, but I'm not big drinker, so that will last me 3 or more months
Re bamboo rods, funny just yesterday I was fantasizing about this, grew up diving, spear fishing and hand line trolling.
I always dreamed about going to Montana and learning how to fly-fish
Re expensive hobbies, I thought I had done them all, motorcycles, motorsports and karting, sailing, cameras........You mean they have more for me to spend $ on?????

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
TAD
Python used this term on me the other day, then tried to explain it
I came across it on some Pipe Blog last night and now I understand it
Its a Disease (Tobacco Acquisition Disorder) which is a byproduct of another illness PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder)
I'm no doctor, but I think its safe to do a self diagnosis here
Advance Stage, Terminal, Prognosis Incurable

troutbum

Lurker
Aug 31, 2009
Ah, Mate, fly fishing is not a hobby; it's a life style! As for motorcycles, I currently ride an 06 Victory Touring Cycle. I originally got into motorcycles to save money on gas. That was three years ago and the Victory is bike number four. For the amount of money I've blown on bikes thus far, I could buy gas from now to until I'm a hundred years old.

usa2traveller

Lurker
May 24, 2009
If you want a classic English Latakia blend, try Penzance. In England, its known as Krumble Cake, and is supposed to be the most popular brand there. But be warned - its not for the timid or faint of heart.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
usa2traveller
Thanks, I have a tin of that to try, almost opened it tonight, But I did SeattleEvening which I throughly enjoyed and will be posting a review
Mate / John

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
mate said: Advance Stage, Terminal, Prognosis Incurable
LOL Mate!
usa2traveller said: If you want a classic English Latakia blend, try Penzance. In England, its known as Krumble Cake, and is supposed to be the most popular brand there. But be warned - its not for the timid or faint of heart.
How does Penzance compare to SG Bracken Flake? So far that is the strongest pipe tobacco I have tried, and it knocks me on my butt a little.
Bob said I have a tin of Penzance in my cellar as well. But since I only have 1 tin of it, I can't bring myself to open it, lol.
That's funny. I'm kind of the same. When I can't decide what to smoke, I'll grab something that I have at least two tins of before something that I am down to one tin on.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Troutbum
I have noticed a definite similarity between Motorcycles and Smoking
In both cases you can not enjoy them without some moron, who is a complete stranger coming up to you and sharing their family history of how some Uncle in the past died some horrible death from (motorcycle or tobacco) and want to share the gory and intimate details with you.
At that point I want to say "You don't get the point, I (ride motorcycles or smoke) so that I can move on to a place where retards like you are not allowed"

petersonsman

Lurker
Jul 6, 2009
My fav lat blends have to be McClelland's Arcadia, Squadron leader, Westminster, and my lite latakia favorite...Shortcut to Mushrooms. I really like shortcut, it doesn't have much latakia, but so good.
Ciao

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Bill Bailey's Best Balkan is my all time fav latakia blend when I also want a serious nick buzz. It has a sweet finish. It has become my replacement for Dunhill Nightcap.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I really like C
I really like C&D products. They keep it clean. Unlike some of the mass produced crap.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
For The Other Latakia Snobs
MUST TRY
C&D da Vinci (love the tin graphics, daVinci was dyslexic and Italian, so he is TOPS in my book)

GL Pease Maltese Falcon
I plan to stock-up on both of these in Bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.