PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
I don’t think this puzzle will ever be solved. Whatever it is, it’s brilliant and truly unique. I don’t know if you remember the thread MLC posted regarding the sauce on St. Bruno? He posted the recipe, which was cryptic if memory serves. I think even if we knew all the different ingredients that went into Condor it would still be extremely difficult to copy.
This hunt for codger blends recipes is turning into something of a detective novel.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Since I believe Gawith claims to follow the Purity laws I wonder if their toppings are artificial or natural.
To be far I did notice added flavour with Grousemoor, Kendal Cream Flake, Ennerdale, and McConnell's Red Virgina (another brand all together I know) but hardly anything with St Bruno and Erinmore.

Reactions: ofafeather

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Since I believe Gawith claims to follow the Purity laws I wonder if their toppings are artificial or natural.
To be far I did notice added flavour with Grousemoor, Kendal Cream Flake, Ennerdale, and McConnell's Red Virgina (another brand all together I know) but hardly anything with St Bruno and Erinmore.
I think it was Bob from Gawith on the PM podcast explaining that they do use synthetic ingredients on certain blends. I believe they had to stop using real Tonquin Beans because it has coumarin.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Here is an interesting question I pose to all you posters. What is the flavoring used in Condor? I have no idea personally. It is not a true Lakeland since it has that 'Washing Up Liquid' taste. It doesn't taste of Rose Geranium, neither does it have any Heliotrope. I asked Russ and he nodded sagely and said he had no idea, this is born out by the fact that War Horse Green, his tribute to Condor neither tastes nor smells anything like Condor. Anyone got any ideas? I mean after 40+ years of smoking the stuff you would think I would have an inkling but I draw a complete blank. Thoughts?
Always tasted like soap to me, industrial soap. Not your Imperial Leather kind of soap, more along the lines of the soap you'll find in a grim factory up north...in an even grimmer khazi! Lol. My old man smoked Condor Long Cut for 60 odd years or so. The best he could come up with was that it had a 'soapy' taste.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Where is this claim?

In his head, which is probably in the clouds or up his arse.
If untrue, online retailers need to be informed as to not be held for false advertising. The claim is there, reviews, and discussions and has been a big selling point of the product versus heavily artificially flavored blends.

"In many of their mixtures, Samuel Gawith maintains the standards enforced by the United Kingdom's strict purity laws of the 19th and 20th centuries — such laws dictating how much and what type of flavorings could be added to pipe tobacco and ensuring that sub-quality leaf wasn't hidden under the veil of exorbitant toppings."

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
So in certain mixtures, no one is stating which mixtures or exactly what. .....
I am not even sure if the 19th century purity laws are even still in existence. I imagine health and safety and other regulations have moved on rather a lot since then!!! And we have to abide by current regulations which are far more strict in many cases.
We certainly don't use sub-standard leaf.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I have stated before, to no one in particular, that Rich Dark Honeydew by G&H reminds me a lot of the flavour of 90’s Condor, more so than the present version tastes like the ‘90’s version of Condor.
I appreciate that Rich Dark Spring/honey dew may well be nothing like the Gallaher’s Rich Dark Honeydew that has long since gone but since Gallaher’s originally made both Condor and Rich Dark Honeydew I put forward the suggestion that Condor has an element of honey in it somewhere…maybe…possibly?
@gawithhoggarth - is RDH an older tobacco than Gallaher’s RDH? Did Gallaher’s take inspiration from your blend originally?

I do have to say that G&H RDH, in it’s modern form (I have never tried any previous forms so I couldn’t say) doesn’t smell like the Condor I remember smelling so I could be way off the mark. The new Condor doesn’t smell like the old Condor either - the only reason I remember this is because as a child, if we were good, we used to be allowed to smell Grandpa’s baccy pouch which was, usually, Condor. I know, life was hard back in the 80’s…the only bit of fun we used to get was to sniff Grandpa’s baccy pouch. ?

• Love
Reactions: edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I stick with the Lakelands that the large dependable online retailers identify as non-aromatic, and they've been good, and apparently non-aromatic. Rose geranium doesn't appeal to me, even if it didn't ghost so strongly. I do enjoy some aromatics that aren't Lakeland blends, but always want a tobacco forward blend. I have only three or four Lakeland blends, non-aros, that I enjoy. I've just discovered Squadron Leader and appreciate its balance.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I have stated before, to no one in particular, that Rich Dark Honeydew by G&H reminds me a lot of the flavour of 90’s Condor, more so than the present version tastes like the ‘90’s version of Condor.
I appreciate that Rich Dark Spring/honey dew may well be nothing like the Gallaher’s Rich Dark Honeydew that has long since gone but since Gallaher’s originally made both Condor and Rich Dark Honeydew I put forward the suggestion that Condor has an element of honey in it somewhere…maybe…possibly?
@gawithhoggarth - is RDH an older tobacco than Gallaher’s RDH? Did Gallaher’s take inspiration from your blend originally?

I do have to say that G&H RDH, in it’s modern form (I have never tried any previous forms so I couldn’t say) doesn’t smell like the Condor I remember smelling so I could be way off the mark. The new Condor doesn’t smell like the old Condor either - the only reason I remember this is because as a child, if we were good, we used to be allowed to smell Grandpa’s baccy pouch which was, usually, Condor. I know, life was hard back in the 80’s…the only bit of fun we used to get was to sniff Grandpa’s baccy pouch. ?
No idea sorry.