Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Jun 23, 2019
I don't understand the 'Lakeland' issues down at S&G. I was talking with @weezell the other day since we split a box of Ennerdale from the most recent drop and neither of us could get much in the way of flavor out of the stuff. Our good friend Mr. Embers was on the money when he said something went pear shaped at S&G in mid 2021 since I have a few jars of the older stuff and the difference in flavor profile is like night and day.

Again, what a shame.

I'm sorry you guys had to be the "guinea pigs" but guess I should be glad I haven't picked up since 2019..

Reactions: Chasing Embers

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I wonder reading condorlover and embers, the last time i had Ennerdale was a small sample in 2019, then earlier this year i got some more from synjeco, along with Coniston, Bosun and Bob’s. The Bosun was a first time smoke so I can’t compare. The Coniston and Ennerdale were strong but not Dark Flake Scented strong, ie not being able to taste tobacco under the sauce. I can’t honestly compare with what i had in 2019 because i was a far less experienced Lakeland smoker back then. Regardless, what I did smoke this year is all pleasant to smoke, and actually enough sauced for my tastes. I wouldn’t ever say i got no taste out of them. This isn’t saying I dispute the suggestions of them having been toned down though, but for me they are far from flavourless.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
Erindale - seems to be the only way to solve the f*ck ups since the S&G merger. I think the tobacco Oompa Loompas who mixed up the Lakeland Sauce pissed off to work at Mr. Wonka's confectionary company and August Gloop got a job in the Lakeland department of S & G!
Oh.......haven't bought any for ages......but that doesn't sound good. Shame as most is readily available over here in the U.K.

Reactions: ofafeather

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
In my opinion erinmore and st bruno are very different to lakeland blends. St Bruno will ghost a pipe, but it is more of a vinegar note. Erinmore is more fruity.
They often get lumped in with Lakelands, so does Condor because they do have florals in the “sauce”, some pick up on them some don’t. I pick up a flowery finish at the tale end of each retrohale in Erinmore, I get florals much heavier in Condor and St. Bruno but those two are odd ducks, some don’t pick up on the florals in those either, I’ve heard Cosmic describe Condor as tasting like sun tan lotion and oddly enough, I see what he means but. The only way I can describe it is, St. Bruno, Condor & Erinmore taste somewhat floral while most GH&Co taste “perfumed” or scented. I agree, St. Bruno is more vinegary but I see it as a sweet and sour and it’s friggen gold to my palate, I just love the stuff, especially the RR. I’m smoking on some 6 year old stuff right now and it just gets better with age, the flavors are much more rich, gets more sweet and savory as it ferments, just talking about it makes my mouth water, the tobacco is almost pitch black now too. Another tobacco with a flowery finish is C&D’s blend they did for Savinelli, the 140 Anniversary blend, it’s subtle but it’s there, I love that blend, stocked up deep. I would have been okay if they put just a bit more sauce on it but it’s great how it is, though I’m not sure if they’ll release it again, I have a feeling they will.

Other blends that I always have to mention when it comes to florals and some of the best out there are from HU.

- Hadde’s Best Irish - It’s a very subtle floral finish like 140, the base tobacco are as good as it gets.
- Sissinghurst - floral and fruity, it’s a very underrated blend that could pass for an old British tobacco like St. Bruno and Condor, it actually reminds me of Maltan RR.
- Daddy Gefftl - I don’t even know how to describe this one but it’s a very unique gem, I imagine it’s probably polarizing too but I dunno, barely talks about this one.
- Great Dixter - if you are missing the hit you used to get from GH&Co you’ve gotta try this, like I said before, it’s too much for me, it’s literally all Rose Geranium.

And back to Gawith but Samuel Gawith this time, Kendal Cream is a bad ass flake that doesn’t get much love. It also has a nice floral topping, I’ve heard it described as milk and honey and I agree but with a splash of rose water, it sometimes reminds me of the topping they used on Velvan Plug but if I had to compare it to anything current I would say it shares some similarities with Erinmore Flake.

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
They often get lumped in with Lakelands, so does Condor because they do have florals in the “sauce”, some pick up on them some don’t. I pick up a flowery finish at the tale end of each retrohale in Erinmore, I get florals much heavier in Condor and St. Bruno but those two are odd ducks, some don’t pick up on the florals in those either, I’ve heard Cosmic describe Condor as tasting like sun tan lotion and oddly enough, I see what he means but. The only way I can describe it is, St. Bruno, Condor & Erinmore taste somewhat floral while most GH&Co taste “perfumed” or scented. I agree, St. Bruno is more vinegary but I see it as a sweet and sour and it’s friggen gold to my palate, I just love the stuff, especially the RR. I’m smoking on some 6 year old stuff right now and it just gets better with age, the flavors are much more rich, gets more sweet and savory as it ferments, just talking about it makes my mouth water, the tobacco is almost pitch black now too. Another tobacco with a flowery finish is C&D’s blend they did for Savinelli, the 140 Anniversary blend, it’s subtle but it’s there, I love that blend, stocked up deep. I would have been okay if they put just a bit more sauce on it but it’s great how it is, though I’m not sure if they’ll release it again, I have a feeling they will.

Other blends that I always have to mention when it comes to florals and some of the best out there are from HU.

- Hadde’s Best Irish - It’s a very subtle floral finish like 140, the base tobacco are as good as it gets.
- Sissinghurst - floral and fruity, it’s a very underrated blend that could pass for an old British tobacco like St. Bruno and Condor, it actually reminds me of Maltan RR.
- Daddy Gefftl - I don’t even know how to describe this one but it’s a very unique gem, I imagine it’s probably polarizing too but I dunno, barely talks about this one.
- Great Dixter - if you are missing the hit you used to get from GH&Co you’ve gotta try this, like I said before, it’s too much for me, it’s literally all Rose Geranium.

And back to Gawith but Samuel Gawith this time, Kendal Cream is a bad ass flake that doesn’t get much love. It also has a nice floral topping, I’ve heard it described as milk and honey and I agree but with a splash of rose water, it sometimes reminds me of the topping they used on Velvan Plug but if I had to compare it to anything current I would say it shares some similarities with Erinmore Flake.
Yeah you're probably right about the St Bruno. I differentiate it from the other lakeland-y codger blends because I absolutely love it, while I can't stand Condor and the like. The sour tang from the vinegar preservative is delicious.

Speaking of HU, have you tried their 5 Year Anniversary blend? It has a balsamic vinegar topping apparently. I wonder if it tastes anything like St Bruno.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet

Great write-up! Thanks for that!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here is an interesting question I pose to all you posters. What is the flavoring used in Condor? I have no idea personally. It is not a true Lakeland since it has that 'Washing Up Liquid' taste. It doesn't taste of Rose Geranium, neither does it have any Heliotrope. I asked Russ and he nodded sagely and said he had no idea, this is born out by the fact that War Horse Green, his tribute to Condor neither tastes nor smells anything like Condor. Anyone got any ideas? I mean after 40+ years of smoking the stuff you would think I would have an inkling but I draw a complete blank. Thoughts?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah you're probably right about the St Bruno. I differentiate it from the other lakeland-y codger blends because I absolutely love it, while I can't stand Condor and the like. The sour tang from the vinegar preservative is delicious.

Speaking of HU, have you tried their 5 Year Anniversary blend? It has a balsamic vinegar topping apparently. I wonder if it tastes anything like St Bruno.
Yes, the 5 year Anniversary is amazing stuff. I haven’t really made the comparison to St. Bruno though, I’ll have to keep that in mind next time I smoke it.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Here is an interesting question I pose to all you posters. What is the flavoring used in Condor? I have no idea personally. It is not a true Lakeland since it has that 'Washing Up Liquid' taste. It doesn't taste of Rose Geranium, neither does it have any Heliotrope. I asked Russ and he nodded sagely and said he had no idea, this is born out by the fact that War Horse Green, his tribute to Condor neither tastes nor smells anything like Condor. Anyone got any ideas? I mean after 40+ years of smoking the stuff you would think I would have an inkling but I draw a complete blank. Thoughts?
I don’t think this puzzle will ever be solved. Whatever it is, it’s brilliant and truly unique. I don’t know if you remember the thread MLC posted regarding the sauce on St. Bruno? He posted the recipe, which was cryptic if memory serves. I think even if we knew all the different ingredients that went into Condor it would still be extremely difficult to copy.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I don’t think this puzzle will ever be solved. Whatever it is, it’s brilliant and truly unique. I don’t know if you remember the thread MLC posted regarding the sauce on St. Bruno? He posted the recipe, which was cryptic if memory serves. I think even if we knew all the different ingredients that went into Condor it would still be extremely difficult to copy.
This ^^^

This is the perfect example of the sum being greater than the parts.