PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I smoke Gawith Mahogany Flake in my Ennerdale pipe as they have a similar profile.
Is that one still obtainable there? That stuff is heavily scented. I don’t smoke it much but I do enjoy it from time to time… I was gifted a tin but I’ve not seen it available in the US market since I’ve been smoking a pipe.

Reactions: ofafeather
Jun 23, 2019
It happened sometime in the middle of 2021. First quarter drops were fine but from there on, things changed for some reason.

It got lighter yet again? I was referring to the ~2017 changes. The last time I picked up a haul was in 2019 when I joined the forum and that already much lighter that my 2015/16 hauls.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It got lighter yet again? I was referring to the ~2017 changes. The last time I picked up a haul was in 2019 when I joined the forum and that already much lighter that my 2015/16 hauls.
Oh yeah, the Ennerdale and other Lakeland blends that I and others have gotten since Autumn of last year forward may as well not even be topped for being so lightly flavored. The era of the pipe ghosting florals is over.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
No kidding, you taste more tobacco than topping now. I doubt even the current Ennerdale could ghost a pipe.
I have smoked close to half a pound of recent Ennerdale in my Albertson and it has not ghosted. Hell, it doesn't even smell of Lakeland. I could smoke straight Virginia in it and not get a hint of ghost.
There is no mistaking my Exotic Passion pipe though. That stuff can ghost a pipe.

Jun 23, 2019
Oh yeah, the Ennerdale and other Lakeland blends that I and others have gotten since Autumn of last year forward may as well not even be topped for being so lightly flavored. The era of the pipe ghosting florals is over.

This is a shame...

- - -

Online comments like that are probably more what swayed their decision. Thinking they could reach more smokers with less flavoring.

This was my suspicion as well. I figured those lakeland blends of old were so polarizing that they'd figure this is better for business; which it probably is. Just a shame for us that enjoyed the old panties taste, lucky I stocked up a little bit extra every haul.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
That's such a shame. I love the Lakeland casings. Needless to say that's what made them unique along with the great quality leaf.
I guess I will hang on as long as possible to those tins I purchased in 2014 & 2015 and open them only on very special occasions.