PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
Ken Byron Ventures produces some very excellent blends. The fellow behind the name is incredibly passionate about tobacco and is committed to sourcing the best quality leaf available. His knowledge base is very deep. I've smoked a lot of his stuff . My favorites at the moment are : Burley Morning Pipe for a very light aromatic, all of his English blends, although Mountains of Madness is particularly good, Krampus for an old timey burley blend with deer tongue, Artifact for Virginia lovers, and for a medium aromatic, King Black. There may be some slight variation in the taste of the blends based upon availability of leaf but if KBV can't get what is needed you just won't see a blend offered for a while. Serious quest for quality from this company. Highly recommended.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Sakura tastes like play doh.

Like play-doh tastes, or like play-doh smells? Because the smell of play-doh is one of the best smells in existence to me...so...are you being hyperbolic, or should I make it a point to get some of this?! ?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Like play-doh tastes, or like play-doh smells? Because the smell of play-doh is one of the best smells in existence to me...so...are you being hyperbolic, or should I make it a point to get some of this?! ?
It had a similarity to the smell IMO.
certainly not the actual taste of eating it. The taste of eating it is more like an unbaked pretzel with extra salt ?

• Haha
Reactions: lightmybriar

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
my problem is you have to guess if you're going to like it and buy it anyways or it will be gone.
A few I figured I'd like I did not.
I sold them off, but at a loss really.

so that's really my main beef, is that you have to just hope that you like it!

Reactions: captainsousie

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
So is there one particular type of blend or leaf that y’all would say he excels at?
for me it's been a mix..
as I really like Verge Engine Overdrive.. Dark Fired Cherry... and Mycroft.
I did not like Sakura, or Byronic Slices.
I felt like Fat Old Sun had an odd taste and damn near could ghost a pipe but it was just OK.

so I wish it was that easy.. like say all non-aros are always good or all aros from him are good.
But it will most likely come down to individual tastes with every blend.

So that's what makes it very hard for me. It's like spinning the wheel whether I'll like it or not.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
for me it's been a mix..
as I really like Verge Engine Overdrive.. Dark Fired Cherry... and Mycroft.
Is the cherry pretty natural tasting, or is it cough drop cherry? I love some DFK, but cherry toppings are hit or miss for me. Almost ordered that one a while back, but held off.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Is the cherry pretty natural tasting, or is it cough drop cherry? I love some DFK, but cherry toppings are hit or miss for me. Almost ordered that one a while back, but held off.
nope it's not over the top or medicinal IMO

but the sakura was supposed to be more floral.. to me though it just tasted like play-doh.
Some people loved it.. so obviously it must be a taste issue with me.

the Byronic was horrible.. it was like a burnt flavorless mess IMO.
It's like someone took C&D red flake, wiped ketchup on it, and burnt it.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
My KVB came today.First timer.The only ones available at the time of order were the cherry,and the Burlier Coffee.I pulled the trigger.The cherry is good right out of the bag,a bit moist,but smokable,and some drying will make it better,and reveal more of the components.As they say in certain circles......it's nose forward.The Burlier I have yet to try.Not a full time aro smoker,this is OK.I want to try their heavier non flavored mixtures as they become available.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Having my first bowl of Live Wire now, and damn it’s good! Nice sweet VA flavor lightly floral, smokes cool. Any one else try this one yet?!

Here's my review of it:
The bright and dark Virginias provide a lot of tart and tangy citrus, grass/hay, some sugary fermented tangy dark fruit, mild floralness, vegetation, a bit of earth, wood, bread, a few pinches of spice, very light vinegar, acidic, lemon notes and a bare hint of cigar. The strength and taste levels start out a couple of steps below the medium threshold, but reach that position about a third of the way through the experience. The nic-hit is a step behind the medium mark. No chance of bite or harshness, but there are a few small rough edges. Burns cool, clean and a tad fast as shag cut blends will do. The tart and lightly sour, acidic citrus and rose water toppings moderately sublimate and synergistically meld with the tobaccos to create a very consistent, deeply rich, earthy sweet and mildly floral, sour, lightly acidic savory flavor that translates to the pleasantly lingering after taste, and room note. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Despite its inherent punchiness, it can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars out of four.

Aug 1, 2012
I ordered some Burley Morning Pipe and some (can't remember the name) dark English. I'll know in a week or so whether that was a good idea.

It would be nice to have a sample pack without having to join the feeding frenzy.

I also understand that KBV is in with the young (often hipster or its newer variant crowd) pipers since Instagram is the preferred method of communication thereby sidelining the less hip crowd. Too bad there isn't a middle ground to where all can be part of the cool kids...