PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Artifact Blend is very good although I dont think its been available for some time now. The berry topping is just right and accentuates the dark fruity notes from the mature virginias and 12 year old perique quite nicely. It might need a couple extra relights than normal but it burns fairly slow with a nice creamy flavorful smoke.

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
Ken Byron Ventures produces some very excellent blends. The fellow behind the name is incredibly passionate about tobacco and is committed to sourcing the best quality leaf available. His knowledge base is very deep. I've smoked a lot of his stuff . My favorites at the moment are : Burley Morning Pipe for a very light aromatic, all of his English blends, although Mountains of Madness is particularly good, Krampus for an old timey burley blend with deer tongue, Artifact for Virginia lovers, and for a medium aromatic, King Black. There may be some slight variation in the taste of the blends based upon availability of leaf but if KBV can't get what is needed you just won't see a blend offered for a while. Serious quest for quality from this company. Highly recommended.
Im confused. So KBV does actual blending...or just changes retail blends and repackages with his name on it?

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Im confused. So KBV does actual blending...or just changes retail blends and repackages with his name on it?
I might be wrong but I think the only blend he "repackaged to sell" was a stoved version of LBF called Ravens Eye (at least since ive been aware of him). Now I think he has his own VaPer coin. I'm not sure where they source their leaf but I'm certain the rest of the blends are "made from scratch".

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There may have been one or two blends where a component was an already tinned blend. That's not a completely uncommon occurrence in the history of small batch blending either.

I hadn't ordered any from KBV since pre-COVID, and went browsing around a couple weeks ago. Seems he has a pal doing blends too - under the name Mr. Christian.

I got a pouch of the Mr C Brightside, and the KBV Patience of Dr Silence.
I've been enjoying both since their arrival.

I get a fair amount of Sutliff vibe and also some interesting almost Germaine or British house tobacco vibe.
I've quite enjoyed all the blends I've gotten from him.