PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Everybody has different tastes but I did not enjoy its play-doh character.
I am quite excited...some Sakura arrived for me today, and I haven’t smoked any yet, BUT...I fully understand the Play-Doh description now hahaha. Fortunately for me, Play-Doh is one of my favorite smells (did anybody know they actually sell that scent as a cologne? :eek: :ROFLMAO: ), so I hope I enjoy it as a smoke. I’ll find out soon! Thanks to BROBS for his bizarre yet accurate description.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I am quite excited...some Sakura arrived for me today, and I haven’t smoked any yet, BUT...I fully understand the Play-Doh description now hahaha. Fortunately for me, Play-Doh is one of my favorite smells (did anybody know they actually sell that scent as a cologne? :eek: :ROFLMAO: ), so I hope I enjoy it as a smoke. I’ll find out soon! Thanks to BROBS for his bizarre yet accurate description.
See I swear I’m not nuts. Well at least about this.

Aug 1, 2012
Tried my bag of King's Ransom a couple times. Aside from being damn near fireproof it's pretty good. When I can keep I lit I enjoy the taste quite a bit and the price is right.

Reactions: BROBS

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I’ve smoked one bowl each of Livewire and Byronic Slices/Fragments.
The Livewire is really elegant looking shag with the aroma and flavor of Cardiff/Peacehaven. I still get plenty of earthy Virginia beneath the flavor additions too. Pretty darn good blend especially if you want a quicker smoke.
The Byronic seems to be somewhat maligned. I love the look of it in person and the tangy “vinegar” smell is not subtle. I spread it out on a tray and let it sit outside for a couple hours because it came “Gawith wet”.

I found it to rub out easily. Took a few more relights than average to get it going. For me, it was an enjoyable smoke. Reminded me of that Cringle Flake that Sutliff put out last year.

Jan 27, 2020
I had another go at the Sakura, don’t hate it and will likely fall finish the bag eventually but will not be ordering it again. Tasted a bit more like Play Doh this time around. Quickly looked up what gives Play Doh it’s smell and this is the first thing that came up:

The scent of the company's iconic Play-Doh has been trademarked. The smell of the squidgy toy product – formed by a combination of a slightly musky, vanilla-like fragrance, overtones of cherry, and the natural smell of a salted, wheat-based dough

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
Have some Live Wire on the way. First time with KBV blends am a big fan of Shag cut tobacco and there are a limited variety of Shags on the market these days. Combined with a sort of Lakeland type essence I'm fairly confident this will be a winner. As others have mentioned these blends are a bit pricy but shipping is included so take that for what it's worth. If something sounds interesting it's worth a shot IMO as pipe tobacco is MUCH cheaper than cigarettes plus is lasts a long time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
pipe tobacco is MUCH cheaper than cigarettes plus is lasts a long time.
A one pound bag of tobacco can make 3 cartons (30 packs) of cigarettes. I go through around a pound of pipe tobacco per month but only eight packs of cigarettes and a pound of cigarette tobacco is between $15 and $20.

Reactions: Pipewizard420

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I had another go at the Sakura, don’t hate it and will likely fall finish the bag eventually but will not be ordering it again. Tasted a bit more like Play Doh this time around. Quickly looked up what gives Play Doh it’s smell and this is the first thing that came up:

The scent of the company's iconic Play-Doh has been trademarked. The smell of the squidgy toy product – formed by a combination of a slightly musky, vanilla-like fragrance, overtones of cherry, and the natural smell of a salted, wheat-based dough
I’ll be damned I didn’t know there was Cherry and Vanilla in play doh?! Yum! ?

• Wow
Reactions: puff_not_snuff