PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
p1010961-600x450.jpg

I picked these up a while ago. I love this thread.

stanlaurel

Jan 31, 2015
I picked up this estate last week. I have no other Kaywoodies. I bought it because it is my absolute favorite shape.

kaywoodie-bulldog-98b.jpg

It says Flame Grain, Imported Briar and 98B.

It clenches beautifully. It weighs 37g. I think that it is about 60 years old and has a 4 hole stinger.

dixie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2013
Stanlaurel that is a beauty! Love the stain on that one.
I recently picked up this cool little Kaywoodie Flame Grain also with the drink less 4 hole stinger. It is marked with a 42C…I thought the C was reserved for the Collectors series? Anyone have any info on that?

FullSizeRender-26_zpspzoxy91g.jpg

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The C has nothing to do with collectors. Some shape numbers have several variations indicated with a letter code.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Just got this one in the mail. Its a Rock Ambera. The stem is bakalite and is meant to be like a faux amber. They were made between 1929-31.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The old Ambera stems just weren't very durable. The crack through the clover is a common occurrence. The bit area usually has a lot of damage too. Yours looks pretty good. Soft Scrub and a Magic eraser will take off the oxidation and bring back the original color. The stem color is just on the surface. Don't do anything invasive.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Ya I'm being careful with this. I've had a few bakalite stems before. Whats odd is there are zero markings on the bowl.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The later clear yellow swirl stems are Bakelite. See beefeater33's meerschaum above. I'm pretty sure the early Ambera stems are pressed amber. Some people disagree with me on this. But the Ambera stems chip, fracture, and break much more easily than contemporary Bakelite stems do. And Bakelite doesn't oxidize as bad as the Ambera does. I've bought more pipes with broken or split Ambera stems than ones that are intact. I've never bought a pipe with a broken Bakelite stem. And I've never broken one myself. Ambera stems aren't even similar to Bakelite.
I guess the bowl markings have been worn, buffed or sanded away. It is odd though. Those pipes can have a lot of different stamps. KB&B clover, Kaywoodie, Suntan Rock Ambera, 4-digit code, Aged Bruyere, Synchro - stem with the patent number on the bottom. It can get pretty busy.

xrundog

Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Here's a pic of a couple broken Rock Ambera stems. The material attributes are closer to the amberoid material that was used before the invention of Bakelite than Bakelite.
Broken%20Ambera%20stems_zpsf7kdbqpi.jpg

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I think mine is the bakilite. I had a plasticy smrll on my hands when I was done. Maybe it is that pressed amber and I'm smelling the glue. It cracked just past the logo but it doesn't seem to leak. It might be a once and a while smoker.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
So...here's my experience with Kaywoodie. This was given to me a few weeks ago, friend found it and a The Pipe in the bottom of a craft bin they bought. Kaywoodie Thorn 7476. Don't really get why they'd make a pipe this way...and I hope I never need to ream it.
image_zpsxw26fu3a.jpeg
[/url][/img]

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
That's a cool little pocket pipe. I want to say the thorn series is kind of rare too. There's a Chesterfield on ebay I may bid on. Its cheap but someone carved a bunch of names into the bowl. It's kind of neat.
I just picked up a Wellington. KBB owned them at one point so it kind of counts for this thread.

ccdeere

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I may give the Thorn a go. Stinger seems pretty well attached though...i usually pull them out...may see if I can find someone local who's a Kaywoodie fan that would enjoy it.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015

Just picked up this cool yello bole off the bay. It has the 4 diget bowl number and kbb logo on the band. I figure its pre ww2 but thats all i can figure out.
There are a bunch of names carved in the bowl which is what drew me to it. I wish I knew the story behind it

Status
Not open for further replies.