Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I wonder if these bidders realize that the stem on this pipe is probably not original.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAYWOODIE-SUPER-GRAIN-5178B-PIPE-/361183275750?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5418336ae6

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I stand corrected. The stem probably is original, but not particularly attractive.
http://kaywoodie.myfreeforum.org/archive/kaywoodie-shape-numbers__o_t__t_218.html

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
rsuninv, I suppose so, but that pipe's price jump is unbelievable. I am going to watch this one to see where it goes.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
sablebrush52, First, the lines and thickness of the stem did not look right. Second, the only other 1930s or later Kaywoodie churchwarden I had ever seen was the #95. Third, admittedly, I confused 78B with 72B (I guess I should follow the words of Mark Twain shared by your every post).
Apparently, Kaywoodie made this pipe only in 1938, which might make this bidding sane.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Yes, I rushed to judgment. Lesson learned, humble pie eaten cold. A shank logo Super Grain made for only one year will probably draw top dollar. I still can't get over the looks of that stem, though.
The other astounding facet of this auction is that the seller has only posted two pictures. Don't the bidders at least want to know if the stinger is intact? Maybe they are relying on eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I picked up several nicer Kaywoodies over the last month. Once was a 4 hole lovat flame grain with a BIN of $17.50 and cleaned up real nice. Same with a few others in the $15 to $30 range. Some get a lot of bidders others fly under the radar and are not noticed and are a good price.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
the shank logo kaywoodies always pull pretty good money
Yep. The stem is oxydized, but not chewed. I think bidders recognize that can be a really attractive, very desirable pipe with about 10 minutes worth of work. Intact stingers are nice, but most people don't miss one terribly. Bidding isn't crazy, it will reach $150 easy.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I also think it could go past $150. KW churchwardens seem to be highly sought after. I asked the seller to show the stem unscrewed. I have not seen that shape number on a KW Churwarden, typically they are stamped Shape 95. (mine has no shape number)

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
With the taste of humble pie still in my mouth, I will say that a high final price for this pipe would not be unjustified. Given the pipe's early leap in price and its rarity, I suspect it will go for an uncommonly high price. But, like sablebrush52, the stem does look like someone has tinkered with it. I wish I could find a picture of another specimen.
ssjones, Your churchwarden has the Dublin bowl of the #95, right? I think this pipe must be the churchwarden variant of the large breakfast pipe. http://chriskeene.com/kwg-36app6

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
hittelusedpipes, That aspect of the listing is indeed a little strange. Maybe the winner of the churchwarden will get bonus pipes, too.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
There is almost no telling how high those pre-1936/1937 4 digit numbered pipes can go if in decent, unaltered condition.

I collect the large and extra large Dublins - #13, 45c, and any 4 digit. Although very, very similar in style (I have to hold them side by side to really tell a difference) the 4 digits go for 3 to 6 times more than the later ones when one can find one.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
From the info on the dedicated Kaywoodie forum this is a 1938 pipe. Usually the Imported Briar stamp would put this pipe at a disadvantage against pipes with the Aged Bruyere stamp (even in the shank logo Super Grain market), but I think that will not be the case here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My pipe does look like the Breakfast Bowl, but no shape number. I find no other reference to that 5178B shape.

Kaywoodie_Supergrain_95_Gallery_zps844002a5.jpg

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Yours looks more like the 95 to me, but my track record is flawed of late. http://chriskeene.com/kwg-55app9
iamn8, I did check those, expecting to see single or double-digit numbers. Presumably the current bidders know what they want.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
ssjones, Your request for more pictures has been answered. Having an intact stinger should put that pipe over the top. I still cannot get over that stem. The stem on yours looks proper and good, but that pipe's stem just does not have the same graceful appearance.

Status
Not open for further replies.