New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I’ve no idea why there are so many complaints about Zippo’s leaking or evaporating lighter fuel. It takes me well over a weak before my Zippo is empty. I do bag ‘m before I place them in the shell though.
For me, the evaporation is not a true complaint. Rather, it's an annoyance.

I generally only smoke a pipe on weekends. Once I get settled with a loaded pipe, beverage of choice, and a good book, it is frustrating to have a lighter shooting blanks. And it happens almost every weekend.

I suppose I could (and have) top off the fuel as a part of my ritual. I'm just not thrilled about it. First world problems, I know.

What do you mean with "bag 'm"? Like put a sandwich baggie over the bottom before returning it to the shell/casing?

Reactions: briarcudgel

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Zippo used to last whole lot longer with cigarettes. But with pipes, it's empty in three days. I just refill when I'm heading out for smoke. Bic is always nice for backup.

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
For me, the evaporation is not a true complaint. Rather, it's an annoyance.

I generally only smoke a pipe on weekends. Once I get settled with a loaded pipe, beverage of choice, and a good book, it is frustrating to have a lighter shooting blanks. And it happens almost every weekend.

I suppose I could (and have) top off the fuel as a part of my ritual. I'm just not thrilled about it. First world problems, I know.

What do you mean with "bag 'm"? Like put a sandwich baggie over the bottom before returning it to the shell/casing?

I usually smoke during the weekends as well. No problem. But I have properly replaced the wick in order to optimise the fuel consumption. I wrap it with a strong sandwich bag before placing it in the case, yep.

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I'd say 3 to 4 days; longer in the winter, shorter in the summer.

I've thought about cutting a bicycle tire tube to use as a band around the lid/body gap, but it seems like that'd be a pain to have to take on and off.
I use the bike tube band and it does extend the life of the fuel. I don’t take it off— I just fold it down to open up the lighter if that makes sense.

jeffya2

Might Stick Around
Oct 29, 2015
Ontario Canada
The basic function of a Zippo is about the same as dumping lighter fluid on a cloth.

I've never heard of a liquid petroleum based lighter that does hold a charge, but all my Butane lighters from AliExpress seem to retain fuel just fine (various $6 jet torch lighters and some $30 Ligne 2 lighters).

I agree very much. I have owned all the expensive lighters with discust
I ordered 2 pipemasters had some small leakage BUT I ordered 2 pipemaster knock offs from Aliexpress $9.95 each They don't leak, never need bleeding, fill easy without leakage, better angled flame, only drawback is doesn't light well in wind {like most that I have owned} it takes 2 months delivery as they seem to order them in from Denmark then ships from China

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I've two zippos that I routinely use, both experience fuel evaporation. I do coat the insert with a thin film of vaseline and that seems to slow things down a bit. I find they last longer if you take your time filling them to ensure they are in fact full. I suspect that my butanes also leak but at a rate too low to be noticeable.

briarcudgel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 6, 2016
Zippos when they are new seem not to have a serious problem with evaporation. I just purchased one and I can get up to three days out of it. The fit between the lid and body is almost perfect. As they age, the hinge and pin wear so the lid is not seated well and evaporation can drain the lighter in a day. Fluid lighters today don’t come with the lid that directly covers the wick as in table and pocket lighters from the 40s through the 60s. One of those lighters should certainly solve most of the problem with evaporation.

Reactions: kcghost