PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I basically asked the same thing regarding Zippos in the soft lighter thread.

Seriously, what is with the evaporation and can it be stopped? Inquiring minds want to know.

If you put the lighter in an (small, for ease of carry) airtight bag, you'll slow it down a lot.

Some seal the gap between the fill chamber and the cover, but most evaporation is through the wick and the non seal of the lid with the body.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If so (and I have no reason to doubt you), it may push me over the edge the get an Old Boy - if it weren't for my penchant of dropping things.

My penchant also prevents me from getting a meerschaum. Knowing my luck, the pipe would sink during its maiden voyage (and I'd slice a finger picking up the pieces).

Last edited:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's simply a fact of life. Science is involved. Most of us simply fill the lighter when needs filling and move on. If you are one of those obsessed with evaporation here's a chance and the inspiration to find a solution and become rich. Although I doubt many people are concerned enough with a bit of fluid loss to pay for a solution. Zippo and others might buy the invention. Keep in mind that lighter manufacturers often sell branded fluid so, maybe there isn't a market for the solution. I could suggest lighting with a hand lens and sunlight, there will be days when you don't get to smoke. I won't though.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
These give me a few extra days on the Zippo: https://www.amazon.com/5PCS-Lighter...1651364166&sprefix=lighter+gas,aps,132&sr=8-1
51zwpkWnIWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Several days? Excellent.

Still, the lid and body junction lets out what's in the wick, which then wicks up more, and then.......
I'd say 3 to 4 days; longer in the winter, shorter in the summer.

I've thought about cutting a bicycle tire tube to use as a band around the lid/body gap, but it seems like that'd be a pain to have to take on and off.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
A quick search on YouTube and I found this.

Btw. I have no clue how long a zippo lasts with fluid. I top it off and if I forget I carry a small tin in my truck. In the summer I relieve the pressure when the can bloats up. (Pro Combustion Tip ….. fuel needs an ignition source. My truck is in no danger)

Mar 1, 2014
Don't say a Bic.

Is there any nicer lighters out there that don't leak? My Zippo is perpetually empty and I've tried all the tricks.

I bought an old stock IMCO and even that leaks, although not as much.

Has anyone made a liquid fueled / gas fueled lighter that never leaks?
The basic function of a Zippo is about the same as dumping lighter fluid on a cloth.

I've never heard of a liquid petroleum based lighter that does hold a charge, but all my Butane lighters from AliExpress seem to retain fuel just fine (various $6 jet torch lighters and some $30 Ligne 2 lighters).