Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
Ignoring the COVID denial and lack of appreciation for the complexity of public health legislation...

The real threat to pipe tobacco is lack of interest. I'm sure many on this forum will take great issue with this, but it's true. Whether the owners of McClelland were being honest or not about shuttering the business because of lack of quality tobacco, there just simply isn't enough demand to continue to support a dying hobby. Maybe it will see a resurgence a la Cigars and maybe legislation is part of the decline in demand. But everyone I know that smoked a pipe that wasn't a pipe smoking nerd quit in the late 70s. It's a niche product that will only support niche companies.

This may provide us with enough companies to support our interest, but I think the long, slow decline of pipe smoking will continue until only bottom tier, OTC blends are left. Call me a pessimist. You wouldn't be the first.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Ignoring the COVID denial and lack of appreciation for the complexity of public health legislation...

The real threat to pipe tobacco is lack of interest. I'm sure many on this forum will take great issue with this, but it's true. Whether the owners of McClelland were being honest or not about shuttering the business because of lack of quality tobacco, there just simply isn't enough demand to continue to support a dying hobby. Maybe it will see a resurgence a la Cigars and maybe legislation is part of the decline in demand. But everyone I know that smoked a pipe that wasn't a pipe smoking nerd quit in the late 70s. It's a niche product that will only support niche companies.

This may provide us with enough companies to support our interest, but I think the long, slow decline of pipe smoking will continue until only bottom tier, OTC blends are left. Call me a pessimist. You wouldn't be the first.
Interesting take, for sure, but perhaps not far off the mark.

Just because I've become obsessed with pipesmoking over the last 4 years (after 15 years of very seldom use), doesn't mean others are catching on. I just chatted with a perfect stranger in my neighborhood who noticed me walking with my lit pipe and said "I haven't smoked my pipe in years." He looked to be about my age: 30-40-something. Maybe seeing me smoking will inspire him to pick up the habit.

Anyway, how long before we see online tobacco sales become illegal across the US, now that Congress and the Presidency are controlled by the woke-scolds?

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
By the way, the answer to the original forum post question is: "Yes, it's always threatened in the US."

To which the reply is: BUY MORE TOBACCO.

If I smoked just once a week, I might last 10 years with my supply. But my current regimen is more like 5-7 times a week. I'm screwed if I can't buy the good stuff online for the foreseeable future.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Otherwise known as proof against the existence of intelligent life on earth.
The real threat to pipe tobacco is lack of interest
Absolutely. Away from the rarified hot house of fora, a tiny niche in the tiny niche population of pipe smokers, our pastime is a quaint and sometimes charming curiosity, nothing more.
Most of the public is off smoking from a health perspective. Most of those who continue to smoke do so in the most convenient manner. From a commercial standpoint the money is in cigarettes and cigars.

swan

Lurker
Dec 9, 2018
NYC
Well, at this point I would definitely say YES to this topic question.

last year the bill HR2339 was only stopped by one party that will no longer able to do so. Therefore at this point I am afraid it might come back soon and that would be a big blow to our hobby :(

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
So ... enjoying a pipe is akin to a "doobie"?
As someone who enjoys both, it is not. Even if you get a low psychoactive strain, it's nothing like pipe smoking. Nothing is! It's why we all are drawn to it while the rest our efficiency and convenience obsessed culture marches towards some other brief fad or interest.

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
Otherwise known as proof against the existence of intelligent life on earth.

Absolutely. Away from the rarified hot house of fora, a tiny niche in the tiny niche population of pipe smokers, our pastime is a quaint and sometimes charming curiosity, nothing more.
Most of the public is off smoking from a health perspective. Most of those who continue to smoke do so in the most convenient manner. From a commercial standpoint the money is in cigarettes and cigars.

3f64ad7b4d2b575d8b1fc86953d75d46.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.