Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Ever seen the tiny fish that swim around whales, picking off little bits of plankton? They are the pipe tobacco industry and the whale is cigars. Size and money create influence...we have neither.
Mike S.
Curiously ICPR has changed its name and mandate, and now pretty much ignores pipes and are now the “Premium Cigar Association”.

I suspect a political move as “flavoured tobacco” raises hackles, and the cigar manufacturers would pretty much throw pipes under the bus, rather than be associated with “other tobacco”.....

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
So as a doomsday prepper.....
Has anyone calculated the ounces per year you would need of your favourite blend if you smoked 10 bowls of it per week....

My head hurts
1 bowl a day is about two pounds per year, according to a recent thread.

10 bowls a week is 520 per year. At 2.5g per bowl, that’s 2.86 pounds per year by my calculations. Get three to be safe.

Now, just calculate how long you’re going to live…

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
I see the biggest threat as a potential ban on internet sales. Modern pipe smokers like options and variety and most local shops are completely anemic when it comes to that.
Yes. But flip side to that is in the unlikely event that a ban ever happens, entrepreneurs will step in with B&Ms to fill the void. And a local (ok, maybe “regional”) B&M is a great thing.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Yes. But flip side to that is in the unlikely event that a ban ever happens, entrepreneurs will step in with B&Ms to fill the void. And a local (ok, maybe “regional”) B&M is a great thing.
That theory has been floated about, but the sad truth is that they hit the B&M's hard first, to the point that most of them went out of business. Banning of Internet sales, the next step in tobacco eradication, is highly unlikely to produce a revival of B&M's, since all the restrictions and taxes and red tape on tobacco shops are enough to scare entrepreneurs into looking for different ventures; add to that the insidious anti-small-businesses attitude of current governments and you have no B&M's left.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
That theory has been floated about, but the sad truth is that they hit the B&M's hard first, to the point that most of them went out of business. Banning of Internet sales, the next step in tobacco eradication, is highly unlikely to produce a revival of B&M's, since all the restrictions and taxes and red tape on tobacco shops are enough to scare entrepreneurs into looking for different ventures; add to that the insidious anti-small-businesses attitude of current governments and you have no B&M's left.

+1

Reactions: edger

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana

I am not going to hang my tobacco enjoyment in the years to come on the dubious hope that someone else will step in to sell me what I want. Especially when I can buy it cheaply now.

I really and truely cannot see one single down side to cellaring as much tobacco as you can. People can say its chicken little syndrome, but even if it is, there is zero downside.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I am not going to hang my tobacco enjoyment in the years to come on the dubious hope that someone else will step in to sell me what I want. Especially when I can buy it cheaply now.

I really and truely cannot see one single down side to cellaring as much tobacco as you can. People can say its chicken little syndrome, but even if it is, there is zero downside.
Who says it's chicken little syndrome?
There are a few downsides, like blends that don't improve, or get worse, with age. There are tins that fail and jars that fail. Blends you fell in love with and now you want a divorce.

But if you really feel that smoking a pipe is something that you enjoy and want to continue to do as long as you can, then by all means build up a stash.

If you later decide enough is enough you can always find some sucker fellow pipe smoker, to whom you can gouge sell your crap weed discerningly fine vintage blends, just as long as you do it face to face off the back of a truck in a back alley at midnight.

marconi

May 17, 2019
England
Perhaps not totally but the equivalent for most of us. No one is going to attack the Second Amendment head on but taxing ammunition will be just as effective. If you go after demand supply will follow. Inflated prices via taxes will kill our hobby for all but the wealthy and even they will give up.
This is a tried and tested formula in the UK and it works.They say based on good data that 1million Brits gave up the Ciggies during the lockdown. With RYO costing £24 for 50 grams I can see why. FVF is less than £15 for 50 grams at the moment and it will never be as cheap as it is today.If you go by the UK pipe forums there is a lot of interest from younger ex RYO smokers price is one of the main factors.

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Perhaps not totally but the equivalent for most of us. No one is going to attack the Second Amendment head on but taxing ammunition will be just as effective. If you go after demand supply will follow. Inflated prices via taxes will kill our hobby for all but the wealthy and even they will give up.
Exactly what happened in Florida. Legislature enacted a pipe tobacco tax rate of 85% and drove all but a few pipe shops out of business.

Reactions: edger

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com

Oh I don’t disagree with any of that. I cellar. And for all the reasons listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.