Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm gonna take a bit of a different tack and reiterate my previously-expressed view that that at some point the anti-tobacco freakout will decline to the point where tobacco is scrutinized proportionally to the level of harm that it actually causes. Perhaps at that time, there will be room to acknowledge the difference between cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco etc.

There are plenty of very harmful behaviors that get only minimal or no scrutiny. How to determine which vice to single out tends to be more of a social issue than a scientific one, and social issues tend to come and go in the long term.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm gonna take a bit of a different tack and reiterate my previously-expressed view that that at some point the anti-tobacco freakout will decline to the point where tobacco is scrutinized proportionally to the level of harm that it actually causes. Perhaps at that time, there will be room to acknowledge the difference between cigarettes, pipes, cigars, chewing tobacco etc.

There are plenty of very harmful behaviors that get only minimal or no scrutiny. How to determine which vice to single out tends to be more of a social issue than a scientific one, and social issues tend to come and go in the long term.

i wish I could believe this was possible. The anti smoking sentiment has been so strong, I don’t see that changing in the near future.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
i wish I could believe this was possible. The anti smoking sentiment has been so strong, I don’t see that changing in the near future.

Agree, definitely not in the near future. Smoking has been drastically decreasing for decades, and as tobacco use becomes increasingly rare, then I would think the level of scrutiny that can be justified would have to come down. I'm mainly talking about cigarette smokers here - I think as we dip below a certain threshold number of pack a day type cigarette smokers, then we'll see a fall off in the overall "tobacco bad" thing, and the rest of us will still be free to smoke our pipes and cigars. Of course part of this view counts on pipes and cigars surviving with enough popularity to stick around.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
That theory has been floated about, but the sad truth is that they hit the B&M's hard first, to the point that most of them went out of business. Banning of Internet sales, the next step in tobacco eradication, is highly unlikely to produce a revival of B&M's, since all the restrictions and taxes and red tape on tobacco shops are enough to scare entrepreneurs into looking for different ventures; add to that the insidious anti-small-businesses attitude of current governments and you have no B&M's left.
What he said.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ

You have a different take on human nature than I do. I hope you're right.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Agree, definitely not in the near future. Smoking has been drastically decreasing for decades, and as tobacco use becomes increasingly rare, then I would think the level of scrutiny that can be justified would have to come down. I'm mainly talking about cigarette smokers here - I think as we dip below a certain threshold number of pack a day type cigarette smokers, then we'll see a fall off in the overall "tobacco bad" thing, and the rest of us will still be free to smoke our pipes and cigars. Of course part of this view counts on pipes and cigars surviving with enough popularity to stick around.
I haven't seen that much discernment and/or generosity coming from the Anti's to date. Are you really a lawyer?

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Here in Nanny State Australia, 50g of pipe tobacco is now over $120. [I shit you not]
Plain packaging laws has had a big impact on availability of blends.
Last year it was made illegal to import tobacco without a license. [Though it's not illegal for any kind soul to post tobacco to Australia]

Australians aren't protected by a Constitution so I don't think that tobacco laws would become so draconian in the U.S.. Nonetheless, tobacco is an easy target to tax excessively, so I'd advise those who can to cellar as much tobacco as possible while it's as cheap as chips.

Properly stored, most blends will keep indefinitely and many will improve with age.
Tobacco would be a valuable trade item should the poo ever hit the fan.
Tobacco holds it's value and some blends increase in price [Looking at you Christmas Cheer]

All good reasons to stock up. If the missus whinges about the cost, just tell her that you're 'investing in her future'. :)

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Here in Nanny State Australia, 50g of pipe tobacco is now over $120. [I shit you not]
Plain packaging laws has had a big impact on availability of blends.
Last year it was made illegal to import tobacco without a license. [Though it's not illegal for any kind soul to post tobacco to Australia]

Australians aren't protected by a Constitution so I don't think that tobacco laws would become so draconian in the U.S.. Nonetheless, tobacco is an easy target to tax excessively, so I'd advise those who can to cellar as much tobacco as possible while it's as cheap as chips.

Properly stored, most blends will keep indefinitely and many will improve with age.
Tobacco would be a valuable trade item should the poo ever hit the fan.
Tobacco holds it's value and some blends increase in price [Looking at you Christmas Cheer]

All good reasons to stock up. If the missus whinges about the cost, just tell her that you're 'investing in her future'. :)
I think Americans are tragically naive to the possibilities in spite of our constitution. Freedom is not to be taken for granted. I feel for you my friend.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
EDITED TO REMOVE POST

Setting aside the merits or lack thereof of your arguments, there is a total ban on explicitly political discussion on this forum. There's good reason for that. Such discussion tends to be extremely toxic and a forum destroyer. That's exactly what nearly happened here six years ago and as a consequence a ban on political discussion of any kind was put in place.
There are plenty of other forums where political discussion takes place. Here, we like getting a respite from it. You're new, and clearly didn't bother to read the forum rules, so hopefully you won't get banned. But in future, please observe the guidelines here.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I think Americans are tragically naive to the possibilities in spite of our constitution. Freedom is not to be taken for granted. I feel for you my friend.
The constitution that piece of paper that's brought out when it agrees with what you want and ignored completely when it does not? Reminds of something I read. No one has rights we all have privilege because no one can take a right away and all the privileges we have could be taken away in a moment. Or something like that.

Reactions: chopper
Status
Not open for further replies.