Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
Actually, I use most forms of tobacco daily. A pipe is just one of them.
that's cool. I'm sure a lot of forum members smoke cigarettes, dip, chew, cigars, etc. I don't think smoking a pipe necessitates excluding other forms of tobacco or other hobbies, only that mass culture is far more interested in experiences of convenience. Pipe smoking is the antithesis of convenience.

ahinesdesign

Lurker
Jan 4, 2021
NC, USA
In my teens (1990's) I distinctly remember tobacco being lumped in with hard drugs. "Just say no!" I passed on hard drugs, but tobacco turned out to be pretty awesome... I haven't seen anyone smoking a pipe or cigar in public in years, and very, very few smoking cigarettes. When I was in Denver last year, there are pot shops everywhere, and people smoking pot all over — but tobacco was a no-go, which makes zero sense!

The local B&M is the only place I know of that "allows" smoking indoors, and I'm not sure its even legal... they are pretty skittish, and have the smoking area out of sight from folks walking in the front door. The place has a very "speakeasy" feel to it.

The only thing that gives me hope is that tobacco still brings in a lot of tax money, an no politician is going to kill a cash cow. Although tobacco growing in the US has fallen 63% in the last 20 years (production is roughly on par with the 1870s now) and tobacco use has fallen consistently for more than 50 years, tobacco tax revenue peaked in 2010 and still brings in more than $10 billion per year now. Money rules, no matter the consequences.

We had a complete prohibition on alcohol once — a complete failure — and now alcohol consumption is practically encouraged, even by 'pruritan' types. I don't think tobacco will ever get to the full prohibition treatment, but excessive taxes and regulations are certainly likely. I do think that eventually a new substance or activity to hate will arise and tobacco regulations will relax, or at least stabilize, just because there is some new evil to rail against. Perhaps one day tobacco will see a resurgence like alcohol? One can dream!

philairfoil

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
If any thought Gov't can 'solve' a problem, look at what happened to the American Indian...
As to current events...I got a feeling there is a, as they say, a 'reset' coming...and I won't like it. I wish I was wrong, but I'm betting against it. Stock it deep.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
Depends on how you go about it. I'm not a ritual dryer, packer, and sit down and think type. I pack a pipe before bed, have it burning when I wake up, pack it again, and smoke it multiple times at work. I smoke my pipes on the go.
You can parse it out all you want, but plainly and broadly speaking, pipe smoking is not convenient, especially by modern standards.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You can parse it out all you want, but plainly and broadly speaking, pipe smoking is not convenient, especially by modern standards.
With 400 pounds of tobacco in the cellar and multiple pipes prefilled at home and at my desk at work, it's really no different than those that roll their own cigarettes. I'm a smoker, not a hobbyist.

wayoutwest

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2016
KY
With 400 pounds of tobacco in the cellar and multiple pipes prefilled at home and at my desk at work, it's really no different than those that roll their own cigarettes. I'm a smoker, not a hobbyist.

It may be plenty convenient enough for you and people on this forum and other pipe smokers and people who like to can food and forage for mushrooms and make their own knifes out of rail road ties they found while foraging for mushrooms but I assure you the average American would find pipe smoking to be very inconvenient.

And you're using RYO as a parallel? How many people do you know that RYO? Most cigarette smokers haven't even tried rolling their own.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And you're using RYO as a parallel? How many people do you know that RYO? Most cigarette smokers haven't even tried rolling their own.
RYO is big business around here. I do, many of my workers and co workers do. They've even commissioned artisan cases for them. Even cigarette stores around here carry more RYO supplies than branded packs. You can even find tubs of OTC pipe tobacco there. The biggest sellers of branded cigarettes around here are the gas stations and truck stops.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
RYO is big business around here. I do, many of my workers and co workers do. They've even commissioned artisan cases for them. Even cigarette stores around here carry more RYO supplies than branded packs. You can even find tubs of OTC pipe tobacco there. The biggest sellers of branded cigarettes around here are the gas stations and truck stops.
In most of the rest of the country, no.

I rarely see anyone smoking at all here.

Reactions: wayoutwest
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

But you live out in the sticks where the hoot owls f''k the chickens and the definition of a Virgin is a 13 year old girl that can outrun her brothers. That is not representative of the country as a whole.

I think tobacco will be taxed to near death in the U.S. as is being done in Australia, England, most of the EAEU, etc.

One thing is for sure in that I we can all agree that any member of this forum that gets caught unprepared deserves it. The warning signs are all around us and it is inevitable.

With nearly 200 pounds in the cellar, I have enough for me and to share with my buddies that might care to join me for a smoke in my impending retirement years.

A pipe a day equals just under 2.5 pounds per year. Simple math, Plan accordingly.

Or not.... puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Maybe we should switch to marijuana? It seems that is becoming easier to obtain.
I happily enjoyed the occasional joint for years until I dropped it completely over 30 years ago. Marijuana has never been hard to obtain. I'm not going to demonize it. It's not better for you than tobacco, it's possibly worse, but all banning Marijuana did was enrich criminals. Bans don't work, which is why I don't believe that you'll ever, ever, see an outright ban on tobacco. There's no need to do that and it would be counterproductive. Once the problems with dope become more apparent, a similar slow information and anti dope culture campaign against it will have the same effect at it's had on tobacco.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
This right here.
prices up
Availability down
Is the trend.

This along with what I believe will be an inevitable ban on internet sales just screams "cellar deep".

Even if you end up with some blends you don't like, you can always sell them for at least what you payed or use them in trade. There is no downside that I can see.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This along with what I believe will be an inevitable ban on internet sales just screams "cellar deep".

Even if you end up with some blends you don't like, you can always sell them for at least what you payed or use them in trade. There is no downside that I can see.
Also, support your local B&M. You're going to need them to be around and interested when online sales go away.

Last edited:

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
In most of the rest of the country, no.

I rarely see anyone smoking at all here.
But you live out in the sticks where the hoot owls f''k the chickens and the definition of a Virgin is a 13 year old girl that can outrun her brothers. That is not representative of the country as a whole.
Did either of you read what I was replying to?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Did either of you read what I was replying to?

You actually think I study these threads? You were talking about how things were where you live, work, etc.. That's where the comment came from. If I took something out of context, shoot me with a cyber bullet. I also seem to recall you live in Eastern Kentucky, East of Lexington. I've been there a number of times, I have a reasonable idea of the area. My comments were in jest, I'd mostly rather live somewhere like that than in a city.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I agree that making tobacco inaccessible either by prohibition or extreme taxation will simply create a black market, since growing tobacco is an established industry. I surmise the supply and distribution will be pared down. I have not hoarded a huge cellar. I could smoke a pipe or two a week and sustain this for a decade or more on my modest stash. As it is, buying just a few tins or bags every six months or so, I buy more than I smoke.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.