Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
(Hey man...hey man...you want some Esoterica...?)
5b852b2d4a8a8.jpeg

I think Esoterica is already like that :ROFLMAO: .

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
If (and when...?) pipe tobacco ever became completely illegal in the same vein as other drugs like crystal meth or heroin - I would pay big money to watch that version of Breaking Bad :) :) :)

(Hey man...hey man...you want some Esoterica...?)
View attachment 59168
**Sniffs** Wait a minute...this is Captain Black Cherry!! (And then out come the handguns)

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
". . . but I assure you the average American would find pipe smoking to be very inconvenient . . . . "
I've found this to be true in my circle of friends and acquaintences. I don't know anyone locally who smokes a pipe any longer. As a kid, I recall seeing pipe smokers in public. My Dad's barber owned the shop and had 3 other chairs in his barber shop--I usually went there as a kid for my bi-monthly hair cut ("Jim," an MP in Europe during and after WWII) puffed his pipe non-stop in that large shop in Tulsa and he even used a straight razor--even on us kiddos (the hot soapy lather he put around my ears and the back of me neck felt great, and then came the sharp and quick strokes with his straight razor--wow, he had a steady hand--I still remember the sound of his razor on the strop hanging off the barber's chair!). A few years later, as an older teen I recall Carol "Smokey" Nightingale puffing his pipe while he tattooed his customers near the bus station in Wash., D.C.--now while he didn't have a razor in sight, he did wear a snub nosed .38 wheel gun on his right side outside his clothes to discourage trouble (as did his "cover" charge just to get inside his tattoo parlor). All sorts of folks smoked pipes and through the years they've completed that higher journey. Now I don't see anyone, ever. I asked a young friend of mine in his 30's if I could give him a pipe and a sample of tobacco--I had shared a cigar with him from time to time--he said, "No, not interested." I was sort of shocked--I really expected he would say, "sure." Our child, whose fairly accepting of others' habits and tastes puts up with my pipe smoking but just barely :)! In my opinion, I think the general attitude I encounter is that smoking of any sort of tobacco is a dirty, sad and dumb habit--and it's from overkill by the anti-cigarette movement. I also think if more folks tried pipe smoking, many would be surprised to find how relaxing, pleasant and fulfilling the habit can be. Back to the thrust of the above quoted excerpt, nowadays I'd be surprised if most folks would even consider the small time and attention pipe smoking requires due to their preconceptions I choose to call, "prejudice." What say you? BTW--I'm heartened by my fellow forum members (brother and sisters) who also enjoy the many pleasures of pipe smoking. Thank you,
mike

de513

Lurker
Feb 15, 2021
What's most ironic to me is that as tobacco smokers become more ostracized, marijuana use only increases in esteem. Now, I support marijuana legalization, but it's a shame that people who espouse the benefits of marijuana fail to recognize the medicinal properties of tobacco.

I get it -- tobacco's not the healthiest thing around. But, neither is marijuana. And if I eat nothing but fruit , my stomach will collapse. The truth is everything in life needs its checks and balances.

Pipe/cigar tobacco, like marijuana, is all natural -- and created with care and artistry. Nicotine has recognized benefits -- from pain relief to relaxation. And unlike marijuana, it doesn't have often debilitating psychoactive effects.

I think our society needs a major turnaround on tobacco. Not sure how that can be accomplished though. Maybe we need to take a stand against tobacco products artificially enhanced with more harmful ingredients. Or reach out to marijuana advocates to get them on our side.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You can't compare pipe smoking to marijuana. Smoking a pipe requires some reasonably careful prep and an hour or more to smoke a bowl. It takes quite some time to perfect the techniques. On the other hand, you could already be finished and feel the buzz creeping in with marijuana before most people would be ready to light their pipe. Pipes aren't for today's instant gratification generation.

some times increasing prices in some luxury lines increases demand.
Absolutely true. Most basic market rules mostly applies to lower middle class. But, when you talk about what motivates luxury market, just throw all of that stuff away.

Most con men will tell you that getting a rich person to give up $20 is nearly impossible. They see this $20 bill and think, "I worked hard for that." But, getting a rich person to hand over $20,000 or so is easy peasy. I was on the board of a local charity, and saw this happen time after time. People who wouldn't spend $20 on a ticket to go to a charity golf tournaments would gladly open their checkbooks and write you a check for $20,000.

No one would buy a brand new Mercedes for $11,000. What's wrong with it?
But, on some luxury cars, they raise the price to get more people in the door to buy. Why this works, I have no idea. But, I have seen it work time after time. What works for Joe Average, doesn't work the same way for Theodore MacRothchild.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Absolutely true. Most basic market rules mostly applies to lower middle class. But, when you talk about what motivates luxury market, just throw all of that stuff away.

Most con men will tell you that getting a rich person to give up $20 is nearly impossible. They see this $20 bill and think, "I worked hard for that." But, getting a rich person to hand over $20,000 or so is easy peasy. I was on the board of a local charity, and saw this happen time after time. People who wouldn't spend $20 on a ticket to go to a charity golf tournaments would gladly open their checkbooks and write you a check for $20,000.

No one would buy a brand new Mercedes for $11,000. What's wrong with it?
But, on some luxury cars, they raise the price to get more people in the door to buy. Why this works, I have no idea. But, I have seen it work time after time. What works for Joe Average, doesn't work the same way for Theodore MacRothchild.
It's exclusivity. Theodore MacRothchild doesn't wish to be seen driving the same vehicle, wearing the same clothes or watch or living in the same neighborhood as Joe Sixpack. It's all about perception.

It's exclusivity. Theodore MacRothchild doesn't wish to be seen driving the same vehicle, wearing the same clothes or watch or living in the same neighborhood as Joe Sixpack. It's all about perception.
All eyewear is made on the same assembly line in the same factory. While the factory may change locations, they are always made exactly the same. I have met with the CEO in charge of the making of these frames, when I was designing eye frames in silver and gold. There is absolutely NO difference between a pair of Raybans and the $5 sunglasses from Walmart. The most expensive pair of frames at you optometrist is made exactly the same way and out of the same stuff as the least expensive pair. That is a range from $5000 down to $15 for the exact same designs and materials. What is the difference... the price. That's it. You can barely even see the logo on Raybans. Even the styles are super similar.

What is the difference? people with money think cost = value. Poor people think value = cost.

I went to the hardware store to get a wrench. A mechanic was there telling me that the more I spent on a wrench the more I would save. Like an $80 wrench is gong to save me money. It's made on the same assembly line as the rest of the swill of this world. And, I may need one particular wrench maybe 10 times a year. If I bought a brand new $1 wrench each time I needed it and threw it away, I would still be saving money. Of course the mechanic uses the wrench more... but he isn't going to be throwing it away after using it. The same logic doesn't apply to everyone.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
All eyewear is made on the same assembly line in the same factory. While the factory may change locations, they are always made exactly the same. I have met with the CEO in charge of the making of these frames, when I was designing eye frames in silver and gold. There is absolutely NO difference between a pair of Raybans and the $5 sunglasses from Walmart. The most expensive pair of frames at you optometrist is made exactly the same way and out of the same stuff as the least expensive pair. That is a range from $5000 down to $15 for the exact same designs and materials. What is the difference... the price. That's it. You can barely even see the logo on Raybans. Even the styles are super similar.

What is the difference? people with money think cost = value. Poor people think value = cost.

I went to the hardware store to get a wrench. A mechanic was there telling me that the more I spent on a wrench the more I would save. Like an $80 wrench is gong to save me money. It's made on the same assembly line as the rest of the swill of this world. And, I may need one particular wrench maybe 10 times a year. If I bought a brand new $1 wrench each time I needed it and threw it away, I would still be saving money. Of course the mechanic uses the wrench more... but he isn't going to be throwing it away after using it. The same logic doesn't apply to everyone.
Not true. The frames may be the same or similar, the lenses are not (at least in most cases).

Not true. The frames may be the same or similar, the lenses are not (at least in most cases).
I didn't even say anything about the lenses. I was merely talking about the frames. You can put absolutely any lens into any frame. They come in the preset prescriptions, meaning, I would take the optometrist's RX and just find the RX on the box and then merely cut the lenses to fit into any frame. I have this whole set up in my studio. Lenscutters are quite simple but amazing machines. Not expensive at all. (side note) this is why I don't understand why pipemakers wouldn't use CAD technology to speed up production. Hell, they technology is the cheapest it has ever been. I never even have to actually do programming. The machine measures the inner curve of the frame as it cuts the edges of the lenses.

But, I can make a pair of frames, and then the customer brings me the RX from their dr, and I just cut the lenses to fit. As far as some lenses being more than others... I can make the most expensive trifocal RX, stigmatism, scratchproof lenses fit into a $5 pair of sunglasses from Walmart, or some frames I made, or a brand new pair of frames, or your great grandmother's frames from the 60's.

But, the name brand Rayban has NOTHING to do with the lenses. No frames go with any lenses. They are sold separately.

I'm not in the frame business anymore though. I did it for three years, and then I just found that I could sell my designs for hinges to them to use for a lot more money than I could make, making them one at a time. I still do some design work for eyeframes, from time to time though.

Oh, and when you frame company tells you that they cannot put lenses into an old pair of frames for you, what they mean is that they want you to spend more money with them. They can put lenses into anything.

The frames may be the same or similar
Nope, they are ABSOLUTELY the same. One company makes the frames for all brands. His name is still in my phone contact list. Rayban is a one room office that pays other people to make everything for them. All brands are the same. Nike, Converse, etc... they pay other people to make the stuff their brands go on, but when they all have shoes made... they all use one company for that also. Because that one company makes so many shoes for all of the companies, that it is just the cheapest way to go. There is nothing more special about a pair of Nikes than a pair of Buddys or Walmart shoes. It's just a brand, or whether you like the style... but if you do your shopping you'll find that all brands tend to have similar styles, because it is cheaper for that one company to make them that way.

Money... make it cheap, sell for as much as you can. The biggest difference between Nike $400 shoes and FMFootwear $50 shoes is that Nike's cost YOU more, but in the long run both companies make the same money, because Nike has to spend a lot more on promotions and sponsorships. So, it balances out. FWIW

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Nope, they are ABSOLUTELY the same. One company makes the frames for all brands. His name is still in my phone contact list. Rayban is a one room office that pays other people to make everything for them. All brands are the same. Nike, Converse, etc... they pay other people to make the stuff their brands go on, but when they all have shoes made... they all use one company for that also. Because that one company makes so many shoes for all of the companies, that it is just the cheapest way to go. There is nothing more special about a pair of Nikes than a pair of Buddys or Walmart shoes. It's just a brand, or whether you like the style... but if you do your shopping you'll find that all brands tend to have similar styles, because it is cheaper for that one company to make them that way.

Money... make it cheap, sell for as much as you can. The biggest difference between Nike $400 shoes and FMFootwear $50 shoes is that Nike's cost YOU more, but in the long run both companies make the same money, because Nike has to spend a lot more on promotions and sponsorships. So, it balances out. FWIW
Sorry Michael, that's not precisely true. But if want to believe it, that's fine. There may be a knockoff brand, somewhere, that is nearly identical to RayBan. But the really cheap sunglasses on the rack at a gas station are not exactly the same as RayBan and the other higher end sunglass companies.

To be clear, I am aware that one company does in fact make the majority of the sunglasses sold today. Some Italian company owns most of the higher end brands and I'm guessing uses factories in low cost markets to manufacture them. Being made by the same company and saying they're made the exact same way and quality are two different things. General Motors make Chevy and Cadillac. Those are not exactly the same. Toyota manufactures Toyota and Lexus. They are clearly not exactly the same. They're not even made in the same factories.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
The relationship between supply and demand is as dependable as the principle of gravity. After that, all is subjective. Demand is a bizarre amalgam of needs and desires. Some rational and some irrational. Suppliers, after getting around imposed regulations, are tasked with responding to that demand. We tobacco users are bucking the zeitgeist as demand decreases and supply inevitably decreases. Unfortunately, we need to hoard and that distorts demand even further. After the hoarding, has demand been fully met, or is latent demand still out there? It can't be easy for the farmers, the blenders etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.