Is Pipe Tobacco Currently Threatened in USA?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
If They ever ban internet sales across the board.. that will really shrink the selection. I'm sure most blends would disappear instantly.
The trend was toward fewer and fewer SKU’s up until a few years ago when the companies woke up to the frenzy. FDA, sure, fear of a person to person sales requirement, sure, but every single maker should be paying Mike and Mary McNiel a royalty.

Oct 7, 2016
Anticipating your next question, no there isn't a directory where you can go to see which blends will be affected. You can use tobaccoreviews.com as a guide by looking for the earliest review to see it it was available before the Predicate date of February 15th 2007.
Possibly a start, but not definitive. The latest guidance from the FDA that I have found is more complicated than matrix algebra. They acknowledge that the paperwork is likely to bury them. There are three apparent pathways for NEW blends to get approved. They are shunting Vapes etc., into the most onerous path. Openly and between the lines, they are counting on a good amount of “stakeholder” cooperation.

The sky might fall on August 8, 2021. It might not.

I would bet that prices go up, though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess pipe tobacco will remain available on some basis. But all kinds of limitations could make it more expensive and less available and less readily distributed. Added tax, limitations on new blends and flavorings, restrictions on online sales, and local prohibitions on B&M shops could all play a role. Already, there are not many places where smoking in public, even outdoors, is permitted. I mostly only see pipes smoked at pipe shops and pipe shows. It's as unusual as seeing someone riding a unicycle or juggling indian clubs, except I suspect you could do those in a public park or on a public sidewalk.

Oct 7, 2016
A key paragraph from the FDA release above. I will translate after the quote.

“In addition, we plan to make publicly available a list of the deemed new tobacco products that are subject to the Sept. 9 deadline, were on the market as of Aug. 8, 2016, and for which a premarket application is submitted by Sept. 9, 2020. However, before doing so, we will need to ensure that the publishing of any such information complies with federal disclosure laws and regulations as only certain types of product information from applications can be lawfully disclosed. We request your patience as we work through the appropriate processes to ensure the posted information is accurate and compliant with federal laws. In the interim, we encourage retailers and other interested parties to refer to the public statements made by the companies or contact the companies directly to get information about applications they may have submitted. “

In other words, until they figure out how to deal with all the paperwork submitted for stuff they really don’t care as much about as Vape, etc., it is self regulation.

Even more simply put, it will be easy to get forgiveness once you file paperwork asking for permission. Lawyers are used to playing this game, please believe me. How aggressive a particular company wants to be is really up to the client. Lawyers just tell clients their options.

This excerpt is consistent with informal discussions the FDA has had with various industry players over the last year. They say they have increased their review staff 10 fold. Yet they have ackknowledged it won’t be any where near enough. And they have publicly stated elsewhere that pipe tobacco isn’t an enforcement priority.

Yes, things will change. With the industry’s (read: the large manufacturers) consent. Regulatory capture. Hohum.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
Yes

(b) Prohibiting Flavoring Of Tobacco Products.—

(1) PROHIBITION.—

(A) IN GENERAL.—Subparagraph (A) of section 907(a)(1) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (21 U.S.C. 387g(a)(1)) is amended to read as follows:

“(A) SPECIAL RULES.—

“(i) IN GENERAL.—Beginning on the date that is 1 year after the date of enactment of the Protecting American Lungs and Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2020, a tobacco product (including its components, parts, and accessories, including the tobacco, filter, or paper) that is not an electronic nicotine delivery system shall not contain, as a constituent (including a smoke constituent) or additive, an artificial or natural flavor (other than tobacco) that is a characterizing flavor of the tobacco product or tobacco smoke or an herb or spice, including menthol, mint, mango, strawberry, grape, orange, clove, cinnamon, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, licorice, cocoa, chocolate, cherry, or coffee.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Here in Canada, pipe tobacco has become stupidly priced at $35 plus an ounce. It’s also getting harder to ship from Europe and the US. With the border closed, you can’t even pop across to pick some up. US portal rules have changed, and you can feel the noose tightening.

Plain packaging, public smoking bylaws, customs and excise......

Doesn’t matter which political party is in power either, tobacco is taboo. Dope on the other hand,......

So when I look at my cellar I don’t feel bad when I see my rows of jars contentedly waiting.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I see the biggest threat as a potential ban on internet sales. Modern pipe smokers like options and variety and most local shops are completely anemic when it comes to that.
That's what I've been saying. I am fortunate to live near a couple of blenders...C&D and D&R. Bad news is I lean towards WCC and LJP. If it comes to that I'll get a UHaul.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Back in 2012 when I suggested that pipe tobacco is going to get screwed I was called an alarmist and a paranoid idiot. Well 2 of my favorite blends were totally discontinued. Certain states no longer allow tobacco to be sold to them. My predictions will come true and if you think you are safe you are dreaming. Tobacco sales on line will be a thing of the past, prices are going to go no where but up and pipe tobacco will be taxed at ridiculous numbers.

The cigar lobby has their shit together and the pipe tobacco mfgs don't. When the shit hits the fan, I will say I told you so.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Back in 2012 when I suggested that pipe tobacco is going to get screwed I was called an alarmist and a paranoid idiot. Well 2 of my favorite blends were totally discontinued. Certain states no longer allow tobacco to be sold to them. My predictions will come true and if you think you are safe you are dreaming. Tobacco sales on line will be a thing of the past, prices are going to go no where but up and pipe tobacco will be taxed at ridiculous numbers.

The cigar lobby has their shit together and the pipe tobacco mfgs don't. When the shit hits the fan, I will say I told you so.

Ever seen the tiny fish that swim around whales, picking off little bits of plankton? They are the pipe tobacco industry and the whale is cigars. Size and money create influence...we have neither.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.