Is Meat Eating Going the Way of Tobacco Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
1 Fresh Clarin Clay Pipe
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I don’t think meat consumption will be banned. The production will be reduced including the amount of livestock farmers keep. Livestock produce manure which (when mixed with urine) releases ammonia, a nitrogen compound. If it gets into lakes and streams via farm-runoff, excessive nitrogen can damage sensitive natural habitats. That’s why here in the Netherlands farmers are required to lower ammonia pollution. My country has one of Europe’s largest livestock industries, with more than 100 million cattle, chickens and pigs. It is also the EU’s biggest meat exporter.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Yeah, in the USA you can shoot whatever and whenever you want. In Europe hunting is a different, more restricted affair.

False. We have seasons for hunting specific game. Hell, you can't even hunt rabbit or squirrel out of season. All else is considered poaching and they prosecute aggressively. Only way around it is to have your land declared "Agricultural" for tax purposes and then you can kill varmints year-round, including the tastier varmints like deer and wild boar.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A friend of mine used to shoot & eat squirrels, he swore the meat tasted 'nutty'. Was he winding me up or does it really taste thus?

Regards,

Jay.
One of the tests of how civilized a hillbilly is, will he eat possum?

Only an Arkansawyer will admit to possum eating. Some of the rest of us have, but only on the sly.

Every wild game has a gamey taste commercial meat animals must have had bred out long ago.

The tastiest wild game by far and away is bobwhite quail. This is followed by cottontail rabbits, then squirrel.

My mother smiled when I brought home quail, didn’t mind rabbits too much, but for me to bring her a squirrel it had to be a young one, and not one hair on it.

Even then, squirrel recipes were rather exotic, while rabbits and quail could be floured and fried the same as chicken.

Squirrel is somewhat gamey, but the main objection is toughness.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
With all this bean eating you would think there would be an increase in Game Shows on TV that feature pyroflatulence. We had a wonderful show back in the 1980s called 'Game for a Laugh' and I am sure its rebranded return as 'Game for a F*#t' would be equally amusing if not decidedly adolescent. :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
A friend of mine used to shoot & eat squirrels, he swore the meat tasted 'nutty'. Was he winding me up or does it really taste thus?

Regards,

Jay.
Jay- here in Ohio they do have a sweet, nutty taste to them. Not over the top sweet, but its there. My dad loved to hunt and pheasants, quail, rabbit, squirrels, and deer were normal fare in the winter months.
My favorite was squirrel. My Mother would pressure cook them, then flour the pieces and cook them till crispy on the outside, much like chicken.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Growing up in rural Kansas, squirrel was a fairly common meal when in season. Fried in a cast iron skillet then simmered in mushroom gravy is what I remember. Now that I live in Minnesota, when I mention that I ate squirrel growing up, I get a sideways glance. Up here they're referred to as tree rats.

Reactions: beefeater33

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
About 30 years ago I raised rabbits for our own consumption. My wife would never eat them, but the kids and I did. My wife thought of them as pets. That lasted for a couple of years and then I quit...became to much work.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Where did you get an idea like that?
Yeah, not only do we have seasons and licensing requirement but there's also very specific quotas for different conservation efforts. Like black bear season, Fish and Wildlife used to set a very specific harvest number to hit to keep populations in check with very strict requirements for registering each harvest. If that number was attained on day 1 of the season, the season would be over. Unfortunately, the small, vocal anti-bear hunt movement have won their stance and it's been discontinued for now.