Is Meat Eating Going the Way of Tobacco Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened but I never really thought I'd see it in my lifetime. The banning of eating meat to 'save the planet' is akin to banning reading to save the trees....pretty bonkers.

I'm all for protecting our planet but I think there are many far worse things than meat eating that should be dealt with before banning something that we've been doing since the dawn of time.

Regards,

Jay.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened but I never really thought I'd see it in my lifetime. The banning of eating meat to 'save the planet' is akin to banning reading to save the trees....pretty bonkers.

I'm all for protecting our planet but I think there are many far worse things than meat eating that should be dealt with before banning something that we've been doing since the dawn of time.

Regards,

Jay.
The banning of eating meat is not what is happening though.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We opened a restaurant in the student union center of the University of Maryland last year. Our menu is roast beef, burgers and chicken. We've learned the hard way that most student just don't eat meat. I can't believe kids won't eat a burger, but chicken outsells everything 10-1.

Reactions: Model 29

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
We opened a restaurant in the student union center of the University of Maryland last year. Our menu is roast beef, burgers and chicken. We've learned the hard way that most student just don't eat meat. I can't believe kids won't eat a burger, but chicken outsells everything 10-1.
Would there be more profit margin in chicken compared to beef ?

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
People love tailored reporting to get behind a push. I’m sure they all fly in private jets though so it’s hard to be impressed with the initiative.

There are a number of small cattle and dairy farms around me. To some degree, you could call them better neighbors and townsfolk than a lot of other people. They provide local product, keep land from becoming more housing, and often give back to our community through various donations.

Some people are just nuts.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

Less, at least in here in middle Tennessee, where we have an abundance of factory-farmed chicken houses. Profit margin can be very nice for chickens, mind you (with your average layer and broiler chicken houses having over 10,000 birds per house), but things such as avian flu and storm-induced equipment failures have recently led to the loss of entire houses. Some of those birds sell for upwards of $100 each from the major breeding facilities. It's a major loss when something like this happens. Cattle is much more saleable and reliable, at least locally, though both are paying the bills for farmers.

Back to the OP, I have noticed Millennials and Zoomers eat more white meat than red meat. The bigger question on my mind involves the chemicals used to farm vegetables - it's en vogue to lambast the meat industry for environmental damage, but I see in my daily work areas devastated by overspray of herbicides and fertilizer, which are often adjacent to streams and rivers.

The whole farming industry needs a closer look by the EPA, but that's not likely to happen for rea$on$

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Back to the OP, I have noticed Millennials and Zoomers eat more white meat than red meat. The bigger question on my mind involves the chemicals used to farm vegetables - it's en vogue to lambast the meat industry for environmental damage, but I see in my daily work areas devastated by overspray of herbicides and fertilizer, which are often adjacent to streams and rivers.

The whole farming industry needs a closer look by the EPA, but that's not likely to happen for rea$on$
Just take a look at the Dead Zone in the Gulf of Mexico off the coast of Louisiana. Every year we see stories about the size of the dead zone and the impact on fish stocks with the chemical run-off for farms near the Mississippi River being the main culprit. The federal government knows this and does nothing.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Meat will always be available, at least in my lifetime. I'm not worried about it at all. We have a new slaughterhouse at the edge of town.

From their website.
We only slaughter our animals at point of sale. This guarantees freshness of our products unlike other meat markets.

It is not until you (our customer) place an order with us that we process. We process your order while you wait—our products are never frozen. We process the chicken and meat only at the point of sale, guaranteeing its freshness. We offer our customers the opportunity to see the animals and pick and choose what they want before buying.

Providing farm-fresh chicken and meat isn’t easy, but we make it happen. First, we work with local family-owned farms in Iowa to bring 100% natural and free-range live poultry and livestock to our establishment in Marengo. Farmers raise the chicken in cage-free environments to ensure the healthiest and best quality poultry. All our livestock are grass-fed.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Meat will always be available, at least in my lifetime. I'm not worried about it at all. We have a new slaughterhouse at the edge of town.

From their website.
We only slaughter our animals at point of sale. This guarantees freshness of our products unlike other meat markets.

It is not until you (our customer) place an order with us that we process. We process your order while you wait—our products are never frozen. We process the chicken and meat only at the point of sale, guaranteeing its freshness. We offer our customers the opportunity to see the animals and pick and choose what they want before buying.

Providing farm-fresh chicken and meat isn’t easy, but we make it happen. First, we work with local family-owned farms in Iowa to bring 100% natural and free-range live poultry and livestock to our establishment in Marengo. Farmers raise the chicken in cage-free environments to ensure the healthiest and best quality poultry. All our livestock are grass-fed.
I wonder how long term sustainable a fresh, local house is? The farm down the road from me mostly offers it packaged and frozen. If you are going to buy a half or quarter cow or whole pig it’s going to get frozen anyway. Maybe you can get fresh poultry but Iv never inquired.

Carting home a freshly slaughtered pig doesn’t seem appealing to me, but am I missing something? I’m curious how they sustainably operate small without freezing and how all of that works without waste.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Well that famous scientist bill gates is the big push for plant based “meat” and has nothing to do with money through buying up farm land all over the planet and pushing to ban meat. Now I’m off to my new world order meeting to discuss how we can force the remaining Dutch farmers out of business, every plan needs a test bed. As the font says, free will is just an illusion.

Reactions: kola and Kobold

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
There will be some reversal in popular opinion soon enough. Humanity will not become completely vegetarian, trends come and go, and forbidden things come and go.

Reactions: Trainpipeman

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nope. Beef has been way up, grain costs and use in bio-disel is driving that.

Chicken had a reduced hatch rate for the birds we use, due to a genetic engineering experiment gone awry, so that supply is very tight, driving those costs.

There's no good news on protein commodity costs

So, we keep raising prices, but are not keeping pace.

El Capitán

Lifer
Jun 5, 2022
Newberry, Indiana
Nope. Beef has been way up, grain costs and use in bio-disel is driving that.

Chicken had a reduced hatch rate for the birds we use, due to a genetic engineering experiment gone awry, so that supply is very tight, driving those costs.

There's no good news on protein commodity costs

So, we keep raising prices, but are not keeping pace.
The farmers are suffering from it as well. The production houses pay the farmers barebones compared to the final profit. It a huge discrepancy.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I used to be a bone in rib eye whore for most of my life. I also like a NY Strip with grilled onions and of course a Filet Mignon but only with a Bearnaise sauce. Anyone who eats a filet without the sauce is a neophyte and sure burn in hell. Or maybe that is a bit harsh.

I am on all kinds of meds that make swallowing meat like steak difficult. Now I mostly eat fish. Shrimp, Lobster, my sons killer fish tacos made from fresh cod, salmon, trout, Mackeral, Blue Fish, Sword fish. The only thing I can think I will of that I will not eat out of the ocean is freaking sea urchin, that is the most vile thing I have ever tasted. The iodine was so intense. I love sushi so I will eat anything raw. The only chicken and pork I will eat is from a local butcher who grows his own. Some may think I spend a lot on my food but you would be surprised how cheap most of it it. 1.29 a pound for chickecn quarters, 3.99 a pound for real pork chops not that shit from Tyson. 8.99 for Swordfish. Back up north I was paying round 12.99 a pound but that was because it was Block Island Swordfish the best in the world. There is a small island in Narragansett bay that has the best. I offset my cost by eating blue fish as 4.99 a pound which everyone hated. That shit was dark and oily and I loved it.

I eat a lot of sushi as that is easy to chew and I love the stuff. I took my 2 sons for sushi the other day / When the bill came I said 183.00 bucks without looking at it. My younger son who had grabbed the bill to looked on the back side, show it to my other son and they were blown away. I was off 34 cents. I have been buying sushi for so long for thee family I am always within 10 bucks and that includes drinks. I will go through stretches where I eat sushi and Chines Cantonese cuisine once a week.

Reactions: Briar Lee