Is Meat Eating Going the Way of Tobacco Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
One way or the other, BF, Big Food, is going to poison you to make an extra guilder or two. Cows fart, and it's putting the Earth's survival at risk. The only solution is to ban eating, or drinking, of anything whatsoever.
Cow farts have zero impact on earth.

I’d get in my electric vehicle that’s going to save the planet but the mines for the lithium and other such chemicals is poisoning the earth at a staggering rate.

What was that? The electric grids are compromised by nitwits who live on Twitter and now I can’t charge my car?

Oh well, it doesn’t matter, nobody matters, unless you’re in power, then you can wear a sweater in a heat wave a lecture everyone.

Now, I’m going to have a steak and not give a shit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meat is an expensive way to get protein, both in terms of the prices of the products and and cost to the environment. However, us carnivores are set in our ways, so for the time being, meat will stay on the menu. I think the frequency of meat eating and the size of the portions will slowly diminish. Meat will become more of a side dish, and non-meat meals will become less of an issue.

I'll leave the issue of animal cruelty aside for this post. My hungry cats will eat mostly only protein. Plant foods are just to scrub out their short intestines and keep them ready for the next protein meal.

All this doesn't mean we won't still cherish cheese and other dairy. But tofu and faux meats will become less repulsive and more taken in stride. I've gotten to the place where, when I do have a meal of entirely vegetable matter and maybe carbohydrates, I'm completely satisfied. I don't feel like I've done something virtuous, just that I'm well fed until the next meal.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I don't eat as much beef as I did when I was younger but I don't eat as much of everything as before. I can eat chicken which is okay, or pork which is fine, but beef is where its at. I find it hilarious that people will eat fish because eating beef offends their sensibilities.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I love meat and fish and its derivatives. I do not like animal suffering, of any living being. Today we enjoyed a good steak, a good fish, grilled tuna, something that is delicious, no doubt for non-vegetarians. We have received this culture or education, which comes from the time of the caves. I don't have a definitive answer, I don't know what is the real correct or definitive answer to this ethical and moral, philosophical, religious, etc. headache, blessed animals that are sacrificed every day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't eat as much beef as I did when I was younger but I don't eat as much of everything as before. I can eat chicken which is okay, or pork which is fine, but beef is where its at. I find it hilarious that people will eat fish because eating beef offends their sensibilities.
I eat loads of fish because I like it better than beef which I also love. Lobster, raw little necks on the half shell, raw oysters, steamers, fried belly clams, smoked salmon, smoked sable, I could keep going but you get the idea. One thing is for sure is the seafood I eat costs way more than the beef I eat so it is not not a money thing. Living in Boston, I learned how to tear apart a Lobster by the time I was 6.

One of the greatest pieces of fish is the collar from a yellow tail tuna. When perfectly grilled there ain't a better tasting piece of fish than that.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tell them to ban cars before meat. Ban having sex before meat. Those create more problems than meat. Go to the source of the problem and stop blame fine piece of rare steak!
Well spoken! Cars should be banned, along with Bitcoin mining, thought, and ban everything else. Ban it all. Eventually nature will take care of the problem, whatever it turns out to be.

WhiteDevilPress

Might Stick Around
I used to live in a liberal college town where being vegan or vegetarian was de rigueur if you wanted to be accepted as a cool hipster. But those who worked in those type of restaurants found out quickly that tofu and bean sprouts don't provide enough protein to sustain an active lifestyle that includes vigorous work, so the joke was that nobody who worked in the vegan places were vegans for long.
And the history of the South Pacific alone teaches us that so long as there are human beings around, there will always be meat! ;) But if eschewing the chewing of animal flesh is a signal of one's virtue, then I'll happily eat their share of bacon.

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Well spoken! Cars should be banned, along with Bitcoin mining, thought, and ban everything else. Ban it all. Eventually nature will take care of the problem, whatever it turns out to be.
Banning meat has never been seriously suggested by any politician to my knowledge, and no country is planning to ban meat. It will not happen. I like to eat meat and will not be stopping any time soon. Its not my area of expertise but I can imagine that it is extremely bad for the environment. Farmland is not considered biologically diverse. Also, I am sure a forest is better placed to reduce climate change than an equally size area of grazing land or arable crop. Having fields to feed ourselves is one thing, but we currently must be turning over unimaginable areas of land to create feed for the planets 1billion cows, 1billion sheep, 800m pigs and goodness knows how many chickens.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I wonder how long term sustainable a fresh, local house is? The farm down the road from me mostly offers it packaged and frozen. If you are going to buy a half or quarter cow or whole pig it’s going to get frozen anyway. Maybe you can get fresh poultry but Iv never inquired.

Carting home a freshly slaughtered pig doesn’t seem appealing to me, but am I missing something? I’m curious how they sustainably operate small without freezing and how all of that works without waste.
Not sure how it all works. They opened 6 months ago (?). What I find interesting is the chickens and livestock are brought in from family farms in Iowa.

I'm going to have to stop in and check it out.

I've been to a meat processing plant in Seward, Illinois (45 minutes away) and everything is frozen. REALLY frozen, I don't need to bring a cooler.

I don't eat as much meat as I used to, but I'll never give it up.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If I want to have a "pig pull", I call a farmer up north, tell him what I want. I drive up and back the next day. Hell, It's barely cool when I pick it up. Put the pig on the smoker early the next day. Very fresh.
I can do the same with locally sourced beef although, the beeves are way too young in my opinion. No rancher wants to be feeding his product longer that is absolutely necessary. So, I order my beef, custom cut, only the cuts I want, from a ranch in Nebraska, They handle raising/purchasing, aging and such. The utilize a contract butcher, a very good one, for processing and supervise closely the entire process, range, cutting, aging to vending. The product is "flash frozen", free of additives, unfortunately corn finished (not a tasty as aged, grass only fed beeves but, that's the state of the business these days.). Expensive? Certainly a bit more than the refuse usually displayed on a grocery store shelf. But, more flavorful, beef taste, than grocery store offerings.

My local butcher shop isn't much better than the local grocery. Costco is usually comperable meat at lower cost than the grocery stores. But, it's near impossible to get a rib steak. Rib eyes? Certainly but, not a rib steak. I'm old school, a rib steak is bone-in. A rib eye is boneless (the "eye' of the rib steak). The terms change with the geography and years. I don't so, I have to educate, as it were, the younger butchers/vendors. It's the same when ordering a standing rib roast. A "prime rib roast" was necessarily graded "prime." Now days, it's simply a cut of beef no matter how low it has been graded. Trust me, a standing rib graded "good", even when advertised as a "Prime Rib Roast" is nothing, taste wise, the compared to a "Prime" graded standing rib.

There was a time, in my lifetime, when words meant something.

My apologies to Jay and others concerned for sliding waaaaay off topic.

Pipingntrucking

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2022
Zebulon-JoCo NC
Not sure anyone who says beef is harmful to the environment truly has study ecology and the circle of life.
Herds in confined spaces that major corporate farms have yes. Due to the constant trampling of the same ground with no time to recover. The free grazers of time long gone had it right. You let the herd roam, they eat, they crap (fertilize) and move on to allow that land to recover.

Anyone putting their faith in all plants again....has not studied much beyond propaganda, and ignore the lurking problem. The governments are pushing GMO's on the supposed problem of food capacity. Most of those GMO's do not reproduce germinating seeds, creating a need for you to go back to said government to get more food. Then lets take into consideration the amount of clear cutting you have to do to make fields big enough to feed a meatless population to cover the protein needs of humans. how many ecologies would that kill off. All the species that thrive in forest canopies? Where then will the fertilizer come from?
Fish and general sea food are good options......until they are not. IE you are a landlocked country or state. Oceans are over pressured. Then where do you turn?
Best thing to do is learn to garden foods for your available space and learn to keep the seeds so you and your future doesnt have to rely on certain entities. Support your local beef and chicken growers. Prices may be higher, but so should the quality be. And thus the family farmers can afford to freeze out ego maniacle control seekers such as Gates and others.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
People should be more concerned that the world has reached a point where concern over cow farts can actually gain some traction. We should all be scared to death there's that many morons alive and walking around. It is more than alarming when stupid, radical interest groups have a cause and find equally stupid fictional science to attempt to support their beliefs.