Is Meat Eating Going the Way of Tobacco Smoking?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
24 Fresh Rossi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
People should be more concerned that the world has reached a point where concern over cow farts can actually gain some traction. We should all be scared to death there's that many morons alive and walking around. It is more than alarming when stupid, radical interest groups have a cause and find equally stupid fictional science to attempt to support their beliefs.
These ideas and "movements" are not grass-roots...it's astroturfing. It's coming from the criminally insane "elite"...social engineering and fraudulent science to promote their lunatic "great reset" agenda.

We need a good reset instead.

The+Good+Reset+200.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Beef, pig, infrequently mutton or lamb, and potatoes here. Well, a roasted turkey breast now and then, mostly sandwiches. And then there are the sausages, bologna and such. I pay little to no attention as to how humane my food is raised unless the treatment affects taste and texture. I'm eating it and not cuddling it. Free range does seems to make for tastier chicken I think. I've made my opinion on the best tasting beef frequently known.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A bushel of blue crabs (they say Jumbo, probably really large,at best) is now $300 and more in my more rural area of Western MD. That's about 7 dozen crabs. I have to pass at that price. My wife bought a dozen true jumbo's at a local spot in July, they were $100. For perspective, in 2018, they were around $175 per bushel

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
This is a lot of hay over a lot of nothing. The article has a clickbait title meant to fish in the easily angered and confused, but the article itself is a big nothing burger (pardon the pun). There is a small town in the Netherlands where a small local green party has put out what amounts to a suggestion to stop placing adverts for beef products within city limits. This hasn't even been taken up by city council or put a vote. No one is banning meat. That is absurd.

Look, let's get lucid for a moment. Beyond the obvious environmental and economic impact that mass livestock places on us, especially that of beef production, it is safe to say that what is really impacting the beef industry isn't the college hipster vegans or whatever group right-wing media feels like vilifying on any given week, but rather simple market forces are to blame. Beef production is very expensive, time consuming, labor and land intensive, and subject to a variety of economic and political vagaries that typically mean nothing but the big dogs have a chance of turning reliable profit.

Until the 20th century, beef was a treat enjoyed only occasionally unless you were very wealthy. Only recently has beef been a regular factor in most Americans' diets. Beyond changing mores (which lower demand for product) and environmental concerns, a lot of beef producers are finding the hassle may not be worth the effort, especially if current trends continue. I would not be surprised that if in my lifetime many lower/working class people were essentially priced out of enjoying beef regularly, and instead consume cheaper meats or meat substitutes instead.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
People should be more concerned that the world has reached a point where concern over cow farts can actually gain some traction. We should all be scared to death there's that many morons alive and walking around. It is more than alarming when stupid, radical interest groups have a cause and find equally stupid fictional science to attempt to support their beliefs.
When I used to eat properly, I found that me eating vegetables made me fart way more than when eating just meat so if it's to be a choice of a cow farting in a 20 acre field or me cutting the cheese in a typical dining room well I'm sure we all know where the answer lies.

And for what it's worth, I lived on a farm and we had a suckler herd and I can't recall the cows farting or belching in great frequency. As you say, radical groups will always find dodgy science to back up their wacky claims.

Regards,

Jay.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
In the 20th century, beef was enjoyed only occasionally unless you were very wealthy.
Or, a cow puncher, farmer or, lived in cow country. Sailors, for hundreds of years lived on salted beef. Beef roasts on Sunday was a regular event for many Americans, many Brits and so forth centuries go. Beef was comparatively cheap where it was raised.

The number of beeves trailed to rail-heads and shipped to various markets beginning after the "War of the Rebellion" shows that, indeed, many Americans could afford it and savored it often. Chicago alone had a huge stock yard and many, many abattoirs. Kansas City nearly rivaled Chicago. There's a reason Texans and other states/territories shipped beef east, Americans had/have a great appetite for beef! It's not a recent development.

"Beef! It's what's for dinner!" It's been that way for a couple hundred years. Even the transplanted Irish diaspora could afford beef, often "corned," once they arrived in the US and secured work a maids, railway builders and etc. In Ireland beef was usually consumed only and often, by the landed gentry back in the day.

For sure, the poor ate mainly beef scraps when such was available but, they had a hard time affording any type of vended food. Certainly the lack of food drove many to improve their station in life. Or, at least drove them to improve the chances of their children. Not everyone ate steak or roasts all the time. But, beef has been enjoyed forcenturies in thousands of ways in many different countries. Let's not forget the "fatted calf" of thousands of years ago.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I eat a lot of fish and home made bread. I recently read somewhere that some idiot politician said that 'Meat should be a treat and not an expectation for the average consumer'. Any bets on how much would get served in those peoples private dinning rooms if they had their way. Probably just like those virtue signaling useless eaters tooling around on their private jets. It would be the age old old slogan 'Meat for me but not for thee' as we were told to chow down on our soy burger and be happy that we are helping the planet.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Beef production is very expensive, time consuming, labor and land intensive, and subject to a variety of economic and political vagaries that typically mean nothing but the big dogs have a chance of turning reliable profit.

I work with a variety of farmers and ranchers professionally and spend a fair bit of time on their land. I see all sorts of setups, from small beginner's operations to century farms laid across several square miles. All farming is very expensive, time consuming, labor and land intensive, etc, etc. At least locally, I would say cropping is at least as labor-intensive as ranching, and subject to at least as much risk. I regularly think to myself that it might be more laborious and risky to crop vs raise animals.

Raising a couple cows, chickens, goats or pigs for personal consumption is far less intensive. People who insist on living in cities do not have the option of grazing a cow in their backyards. These citizens need large farms in order to eat, at least until more of them move to the countryside and begin farming what they can.

About the only "easy" farming I've seen are hay operations on big, healthy fields populated by high-quality grasses. Then, it's just cut, bale, and wait for people to drop their money off at your door.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I suppose it was only a matter of time before this happened but I never really thought I'd see it in my lifetime. The banning of eating meat to 'save the planet' is akin to banning reading to save the trees....pretty bonkers.

I'm all for protecting our planet but I think there are many far worse things than meat eating that should be dealt with before banning something that we've been doing since the dawn of time.

Regards,

Jay.
My answer is “no”! I smoke my pipes in moderation, beef l consume with apparent reckless abandon — there may be an ozone hole above my house!

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Coronal mass ejection.. we need one. Like a modern day Carrington Event. Lets see these folks survive for a couple months without their morning star farms, mass produced, vitamin enriched boxed meat substitutes. If outright starvation doesn't get them it will be a lack of bioavailable B12. I am cool with playing the long game.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I would not be surprised that if in my lifetime many lower/working class people were essentially priced out of enjoying beef regularly, and instead consume cheaper meats or meat substitutes instead.

That was a great post and this paragraph stands out for me because I feel this will be true, unfortunately it's already happening with just inflation. In the last 2 years I've seen (Australia) rump steak jump from $20-$22 a Kilo to now $30.
Mind you, beef mince has stayed about the same.
One 'Kilo' being a little over 2 pounds etc.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I eat a lot of fish and home made bread. I recently read somewhere that some idiot politician said that 'Meat should be a treat and not an expectation for the average consumer'. Any bets on how much would get served in those peoples private dinning rooms if they had their way. Probably just like those virtue signaling useless eaters tooling around on their private jets. It would be the age old old slogan 'Meat for me but not for thee' as we were told to chow down on our soy burger and be happy that we are helping the planet.

We could start helping by turning to cannibalism and eating that useless, and I assume fat, prick instead!
Maybe we can invite him over for a dinner party with that odd German fellow down the road..

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
All those bean eaters probably put more methane in the atmosphere than the cows do.................