New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
The price that this Barling straight grain got was about what I expected it to get. I'm not convinced that it's been topped. There's slight texture to the rim consistent with grain shrinkage. The stampings are crisp. The stem has more wear, not unusual for a pipe whose stem has been removed for buffing. The straight grain is neither the best, nor the worst I've seen on a Barling straight grain. A mid level example that got a mid level price.
You have a good eye :) It is also because the edges of the rim look too sharp to my eye .
Some residue of polishing compound too ?
About the grain shrinkage ; are you reffering to picture 8 , on say 10:00 - 02:00 ?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
You have a good eye :) It is also because the edges of the rim look too sharp to my eye .
Some residue of polishing compound too ?
About the grain shrinkage ; are you reffering to picture 8 , on say 10:00 - 02:00 ?
In general, no a specific area. There is a slight softness to the rim, and a little bit of burn right at the chamber edge. Then there's the matter of color. All I can say is that when I examine one of my unsmoked Barlings against this rim it looks kosher to me. Others will believe what they are disposed to believe.

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
In general, no a specific area. There is a slight softness to the rim, and a little bit of burn right at the chamber edge. Then there's the matter of color. All I can say is that when I examine one of my unsmoked Barlings against this rim it looks kosher to me. Others will believe what they are disposed to believe.

Hopefully I didn't offend anyone here by not being in total agreement :(

Reactions: orlandofurioso

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
It was all so right. It was all so wrong. And "interesting" definitely an understatement. And as someone who tends to be skeptical of emails from deposed Nigerian foreign ministers who want to wire millions to my bank account, and investment opportunities involving bridges to Brooklyn (or bitcoin artwork), I've decided to give up on the pursuit of this purportedly unsmoked seven-day, circa 1920, Dunhill set of "Billiards & Bulldogs" [sic] offered in an auction by a zero-feedback seller who opened his account a day before posting the auction, claiming to be based in Yonkers, NY.

Whatever else, the dozen pictures posted of seven pipes (four shells, three bruyeres--the largest a beautifully cut bent more than likely a model 56) perfectly fitted in a Dunhill "vintage" case with a white silk lining lacking the Prince of Wales ostrich feather, beg more than a few questions--in addition to the obvious threshold issue of cunning scam or bizarrely incurious real seller.

My own first question was whether this was a known set? One that a someone here among the Duke Street irregulars has seen before. One clue--worthy of Agatha Christie--is a half open, apparently unused envelope laid on the open case with Harry Rosenthal and a Manhattan 10021 return address engraved on the rear flap.

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

Seven D set A.jpg

• Wow
Dec 10, 2013
It was all so right. It was all so wrong. And "interesting" definitely an understatement. And as someone who tends to be skeptical of emails from deposed Nigerian foreign ministers who want to wire millions to my bank account, and investment opportunities involving bridges to Brooklyn (or bitcoin artwork), I've decided to give up on the pursuit of this purportedly unsmoked seven-day, circa 1920, Dunhill set of "Billiards & Bulldogs" [sic] offered in an auction by a zero-feedback seller who opened his account a day before posting the auction, claiming to be based in Yonkers, NY.

Whatever else, the dozen pictures posted of seven pipes (four shells, three bruyeres--the largest a beautifully cut bent more than likely a model 56) perfectly fitted in a Dunhill "vintage" case with a white silk lining lacking the Prince of Wales ostrich feather, beg more than a few questions--in addition to the obvious threshold issue of cunning scam or bizarrely incurious real seller.

My own first question was whether this was a known set? One that a someone here among the Duke Street irregulars has seen before. One clue--worthy of Agatha Christie--is a half open, apparently unused envelope laid on the open case with Harry Rosenthal and a Manhattan 10021 return address engraved on the rear flap.

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

View attachment 146152

Many thoughts ; mere confusion and speculation .
Too good to be true , or only an uninterested and incurious seller who wanted to make snabba cash? Total scam ?
I cannot tell, but ( at first sight ) the pipes look legit and do fit in the case properly.
You could have gone Yonkers , paid in cash and collect them :)
I would .

Last edited:
Reactions: guylesss

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Thoughts, Gentlemen?

View attachment 146152

Billiards and bulldogs? Methinks the seller is no pipes person. I'm curious as to what the printed card is that's barely visible when the flap on the envelope is flipped up.
@jguss will have the answer to this mystery, including which maid the mysterious Mr Rosenthal was jack hammering against the parlor wall when the delivery man showed up with the set, and how much child support he paid out over the years for the seller's grandmother.

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Many thoughts ; mere confusion and speculation .
Too good to be true , or only an uninterested and incurious seller who wanted to make snabba cash? Total scam ?
I cannot tell, but ( at first sight ) the pipes look legit and do fit in the case properly.
You could have gone Yonkers , paid in cash and collect them :)
I would .
To me at least the wonder of eBay's huge global success is (or was when it was rather more transparent and not only about protecting eBay's own interests) how much everything turns on total strangers routinely trusting each other. So, whenever, as you say, something looks too good to be true (or fishy in some other way), I fish for more information before doing anything else, and engage the seller in a conversation--in most instances with a request for additional photos showing what isn't in whatever photos they've posted.

In this instance, my request was for well-focused images of each pipe's nomenclature. I got an instant message back that he was going to send me just that or post new pictures to the listing. Something which--to cut to the chase--never happened. And, shortly after another round of messages was exchanged, the listing was ended (ostensibly because of "error").

So, regarding this last event, my guess is that (1) you orlandofuioso, and I were not the only people with the idea of jumping on a commuter train to Yonkers with a pocketful of franklins, and someone else actually did so. Or (2) it was some kind of scam, and it became clear to the seller that Ebay's fairly thorough-going measures to promote buyer and seller "safety" were going to make it difficult to extract any actually cash money from a victim no matter how willing and eager.

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
To me at least the wonder of eBay's huge global success is (or was when it was rather more transparent and not only about protecting eBay's own interests) how much everything turns on total strangers routinely trusting each other. So, whenever, as you say, something looks too good to be true (or fishy in some other way), I fish for more information before doing anything else, and engage the seller in a conversation--in most instances with a request for additional photos showing what isn't in whatever photos they've posted.

In this instance, my request was for well-focused images of each pipe's nomenclature. I got an instant message back that he was going to send me just that or post new pictures to the listing. Something which--to cut to the chase--never happened. And, shortly after another round of messages was exchanged, the listing was ended (ostensibly because of "error").

So, regarding this last event, my guess is that (1) you orlandofuioso, and I were not the only people with the idea of jumping on a commuter train to Yonkers with a pocketful of franklins, and someone else actually did so. Or (2) it was some kind of scam, and it became clear to the seller that Ebay's fairly thorough-going measures to promote buyer and seller "safety" were going to make it difficult to extract any actually cash money from a victim no matter how willing and eager.

I bet it was legit. It will all come down to whether or not someone finds the exact same images that the seller used in the ebay auction.

Regarding "total strangers routinely trusting each other", If the item doesn't arrive in described condition, ebay refunds the buyer 100%. So it might be a scam, but as long as you pay the $20 shipping rather than showing up in person, you're safe. Ebay - not so much.

Even twenty years ago when ebay's reins weren't so tight, I received total refunds for fake and broken items a few times when the seller was telling me what I could go do with myself.

What would make everyone feel warm and fuzzy would be if someone contacted the seller, tells them that these pipes are historically significant, and for documentation reasons the community would like more details on their history. Basking in the luxury of a few grand they just pocketed, they might respond.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The retired Hollywood restoration guy did well with this patent era Ashford, with original stinger.

That's a steal compared to the unsmoked, boxed Commemerative 8-dot Sasieni with a gold band AND ribbon at a "buy it now price" of only $10,000 !

Would that be a later re-issue, I wonder ?

Sorry my lack of skill precludes me from attaching the appropriate link.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The retired Hollywood restoration guy did well with this patent era Ashford, with original stinger.

Pretty good return on a less than pristine pipe. Must be a popular model.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's a steal compared to the unsmoked, boxed Commemerative 8-dot Sasieni with a gold band AND ribbon at a "buy it now price" of only $10,000 !

Would that be a later re-issue, I wonder ?

Sorry my lack of skill precludes me from attaching the appropriate link.
You mean this one?

It's a tad above market for these. Just a tad.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I posted one of those 1979 Commemorative "Specially Selected" Sasieni's back in 2014 (yikes, 8 years ago). Unsmoked with seal, this one sold for an eye-opening $676. If you read Peck's cryptic last reply, you might deduce who bought that one. As far as I know, it is still usnmoked. Yeah, $10k would be a stretch....

Reactions: OzPiper

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I got an "inside" deal which I let slip away... What was I thinking?

I saw one of these go up for sale on eBay back in 2017 or 2018 which closed at $1700.00.

While it's an interesting piece, I wouldn't be interested at that price. Or the $9000 Upshall E listed for years on eBay.

charatan 8.JPG

• Sad
Dec 10, 2013
Reactions: Papamique

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Now we are discussing 7 day pipe sets I dare post because it is a Buy It Now :
He does a good job on his restorations and I like his listings a lot.
Those sets are a tough sell. He'd be better off selling that at Chicago.

Dec 10, 2013
This little 1952 patent Dunhill lovat shows ( despite the dirt ) a very agreeable blast and I liked it a lot. Price is imho moderate .
Unfortunately I also suspected repaired damage.
Can you see where it is ?

Reactions: aquadoc