PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
This is bonkers

Deadmanspipes again :) Nice carnauba wax smear too.
Complete unsmoked sets are rare, individual pipes all look somewhat different regarding the finish etc.
Some have P-lips, some feature normal bits.
I own one complete set, some individual pipes and an empty display case in like new condition.
Which imho makes the GBP 650,00 set very agreeable.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
More big dollar Petes.

I've never seen a Shape 3, on the web or in person.

This one really caught me out. 80S are plentiful, as are London & Dublin Petes - cased examples, with the short stem and "Hand Worked" stem stamp? Well, I've never seen this combination period. 61 bidder thought the same I guess - $1135

• Love
Reactions: Ahi Ka and jpmcwjr

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
More big dollar Petes.

This one really caught me out. 80S are plentiful, as are London & Dublin Petes - cased examples, with the short stem and "Hand Worked" stem stamp? Well, I've never seen this combination period. 61 bidder thought the same I guess - $1135

Have never seen a Pete swan neck like that either and would love to own it. Price not bad but the price on that 80s is ridiculous.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
More big dollar Petes.

It's eBay... where idiocy trumps common sense.

• Love
Reactions: ashdigger

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
It's eBay... where idiocy trumps common sense.
Well, sometimes, but not typically. Sales prices definitely follow trends. A seller just had some decent Sasieni Four Dot auctions end today. His asking price was $50 or so over typical, and they went unsold. I'll be curious as to what Mark says about the cased 80S.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A seller just had some decent Sasieni Four Dot auctions end today. His asking price was $50 or so over typical, and they went unsold...
Well there you go.

I think the mentality that plays out on eBay is that if something starts out at a low initial asking price and then starts being picked at by bidders who make 20 incremental bids to beat the current bid is that there is a lot of interest in the item, so therefore it must be really special or worth a lot. Then the bidding becomes no holds barred, Gotta have it at any price. Then maybe I can flip it and get even more...

In the case of the Peterson, there isn't a Peterson on the face of the earth that's worth that much to me.

As for Sasieni, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest currently. They tend to vary in cycles as to popularity.

Prices for everything seem to be adjusting downward from what they were a year or two ago; They are still up from what they were 5-6 years ago. With the economy in poor shape and the recent crop of people new to the hobby most likely having filled their want lists I would expect that prices will remain off for the time being.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well there you go.

I think the mentality that plays out on eBay is that if something starts out at a low initial asking price and then starts being picked at by bidders who make 20 incremental bids to beat the current bid is that there is a lot of interest in the item, so therefore it must be really special or worth a lot. Then the bidding becomes no holds barred, Gotta have it at any price. Then maybe I can flip it and get even more...

In the case of the Peterson, there isn't a Peterson on the face of the earth that's worth that much to me.

As for Sasieni, there doesn't seem to be a lot of interest currently. They tend to vary in cycles as to popularity.

Prices for everything seem to be adjusting downward from what they were a year or two ago; They are still up from what they were 5-6 years ago. With the economy in poor shape and the recent crop of people new to the hobby most likely having filled their want lists I would expect that prices will remain off for the time being.
Really nice examples are still getting good prices. I've seen several Sasieni One Dots and a couple of mint condition Barlings reach very respectable prices.

It remains to be seen whether vintage Britwood will retain its aura with newer collectors. People are getting introduced to new carvers on social media platforms that weren't very active just a few years ago. A new generation of collectors may well have completely different focus than collectors who got into the hobby 20 years ago.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Really nice examples are still getting good prices. I've seen several Sasieni One Dots and a couple of mint condition Barlings reach very respectable prices.

It remains to be seen whether vintage Britwood will retain its aura with newer collectors. People are getting introduced to new carvers on social media platforms that weren't very active just a few years ago. A new generation of collectors may well have completely different focus than collectors who got into the hobby 20 years ago.
Yeah, there is that… younger collectors don’t have direct attachment to old Britwood either, whereas someone my age does, and that’s primarily why I collect them.

dPero

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2022
Stafilic

If so tahat’s great pipes will have decent price, and some sellers will come back down to the earth

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If so tahat’s great pipes will have decent price, and some sellers will come back down to the earth
Remains to be seen. While I own some very nice and rare pipes, I never, ever overspent to get any of them, and rarely spent more than about 1/2 current market at the time of acquisition. I'm on a budget. Pipes are not an investment vehicle. Sometimes fortune favors the patient.
Case in point:
W9I9CK1.jpg

While prices on these have com down quite a bit from 10 years ago, you rarely see them for under $700 to $800 and not in this condition. I spent well less than $300 for it.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Remains to be seen. While I own some very nice and rare pipes, I never, ever overspent to get any of them, and rarely spent more than about 1/2 current market at the time of acquisition.
Pipes are not an investment vehicle. Sometimes fortune favors the patient.
Case in point:
W9I9CK1.jpg

While prices on these have com down quite a bit from 10 years ago, you rarely see them for under $700 to $800 and not in this condition. I spent well less than $300 for it.
Jesse,
Are you speaking of 1975 prices ? ;)

Seriously most of us looking at Barlings now are following your well-trodden footsteps and have to put up with elevated prices because you cornered the market a couple of decades ago.

Oh, to be a trend-setter bdw