Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For a few days, I thought I might actually have a shot at this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/By-SASIENI-GOLD-BAND-Specially-Selected-Eight-8-Dot-4X2-LE-9-UNSMOKED-PIPE1979-/331409058441?autorefresh=true&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=PFxJlfv%252FZVyIkuJj3xxl4IRtpnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Richard Carleton Hacker mentions this Specially Selected series in The "Ultimate Pipe Book" and "Rare Smoke". It was rumored that only 100 were made in this series, but Hacker said there may have been more. Non banded pipes sold for $400 in 1979 and the more rare gold banded models went for $550. Hacker says this was the last Sasieni to use the old fish-tail script. I've never seen one for sale before, let alone an unsmoked model with all the tags and wax string seal.
The pipe shot to nearly $200 yesterday and in the final minute, it went from $561 to $676. I became a spectator pretty quickly....
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This shop in Barcelona has a smoked estate available for $1100.....

http://www.sybaritepipe.com/en/excepcional-pipes-rarities/730-sasieni-8dot-specially-selected.html
sasieni-8dot-specially-selected.jpg

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
It's quite remarkable. Love the straight grain. Most definitely for the higher end taste and budget. I lack the latter.

Dec 24, 2012
This, according to Hacker:
Alfred Sasieni continued to run the company prosperously until 1979, when he sold out to another firm. Interestingly, he stayed on in the capacity of a director. At first it seems to have been a harmonious partnership. The new owners started their tenure with a limited edition reissue Eight Dot. This was a generous sized, natural stained smooth pipe which occasionally also had a gold band. Each pipe had a blue string running through the bowl, shank, and stem, affixed with a lead stamp and paper tab signed by Alfred Sasieni himself. These pipes are both strikingly handsome and maddeningly elusive, due to the fact only 100 (or so, accounts differ) were ever made.
Very interesting stuff.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Beautiful looking pipe. A couple of these have come up on eBay, One was represented as a Joel Sasieni era piece. Naturally I contacted the seller, who politely thanked me for the information and continued to misrepresent the pipe. It went for a goodly amount.
Hacker has a lot of good information, but he also has some misinformation. Always verify with more than one source. One example of this is his blanket statement that Barling didn't issue a catalog prior to 1962, which he thought was rather strange. In point of fact, Barling issued a number of catalogs, starting in 1904.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There's a web reference point somewhere with all of the mistakes in Hackers books. In his defense, "Rare Smoke" was written in 1984, long before the web was available as a research tool. It looks like his last pipe book (Pipesmoking in The 21st Century) was published in 2006. He has web articles in the Robb Report on a regular basis, but appears to have given up writing about pipes.

May 31, 2012
There's a web reference point somewhere with all of the mistakes in Hackers books.
Here's the Loring Dunhill errata list for Rare Smoke:

http://www.loringpage.com/attpipes/hackerraresmokeerrata.html

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable, are you suggesting that Hacker is a hack?
Let's just say that the phrases "to the best of my knowledge", "as far as I know", or any other sort of modifier do not appear with any frequency in his text. Hacker's writing on Barling certainly isn't good. But in a way I'm grateful to Hacker for erroneously condemning all of the post family Barling product. The faithful believe him and I get some great buys on fabulous Barlings because of that.
Loring had a lot of fun poking at Hacker, as have a number of others interested in the history of pipes. In his defense, Hacker was doing pioneering work in the field and he's indispensable, just not reliable and clearly not scholarly. It's been decades since he wrote these books and a lot of new information has come to light, brought forth by much better researchers, like Jon Guss.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
It is a beautiful pipe, and definitely worth every penny, but I would not be able to afford that. I also like my estate pipes that I have put the work into restoring, and the sense of pride you get from knowing you saved that pipe and are now enjoying the fruits of your work.

boilermakerandy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
You maybe should have begged, borrowed, or stole to get the funds to buy that. I'll bet you never see another. Reminds me of a couple of guns I missed on. On the other hand, who knows how high the winner would have ran it up to.

Dec 24, 2012
You maybe should have begged, borrowed, or stole to get the funds to buy that. I'll bet you never see another. Reminds me of a couple of guns I missed on. On the other hand, who knows how high the winner would have ran it up to.
Great point. Who knows indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.