PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
This little 1952 patent Dunhill lovat shows ( despite the dirt ) a very agreeable blast and I liked it a lot. Price is imho moderate .
Unfortunately I also suspected repaired damage.
Can you see where it is?

The underside of the shank that looks chunky? Could be a repair. Could even be a chunky section from an uneven sandblast.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Does kind of look like a badly done stem fix. 1952 Dunhills are not seen very often, so I was considering buying this one for a birth year, but the damage and that it's a Lovat, which is not a shape that appeals to me, made it a no go.
Is there a special reason they are not often seen and it you only feel attracted to it because it is a birth year pipe ?

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you all .
This is what happened. I asked the seller and he immediately replied in a most civil manner.
Told me he knew nowt about pipes, but convinced me the pipe showed no damage. Also offered me a full refund etc.
So I decided to jump on it . Once arrived it clearly showed a cracked shank repair. Actually it is quite neatly done, apart from some residue of glue on the shank which of course can be dealt with. I posted the gentleman some close up photo's and he immediately apologized and saw to an entire refund the same day. When I asked him about the postal costs of returning it he kindly told me to keep it to "play with" . I consider my self very lucky and am now contemplating how to reinforce the shank ( have some ideas ) I love the blast on this one and the pipe will clean up nicely !
Also believe the stem is a replacement considering the somewhat larger dot/spot. The fit is perfect though.
Good show, what ?

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
This little 1952 patent Dunhill lovat shows ( despite the dirt ) a very agreeable blast and I liked it a lot. Price is imho moderate .
Can you see where it is ?
That one interested me as it is a birth year pipe. And a Lovat.

Lost interest when I saw what looked like a great vertical crack/fissure on the front of the bowl

Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Can you see where it is ?

Maybe a diagonal break about 3/4" from the stem connection? Still, a war-time Dunhill is rare and probably worth the gamble at that price.

Edited - my bad, I didn't look closely at the stampings and took the seller's word at 1942.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
The 1952 Dunhill Lovat I was referring to is NOT the above pipe.
It is still available on EBay.
There is a distinct long crack/fissure on the front of the bowl extending from the rim downwards
Sorry, but my lack of IT skill means I can't do an attachment.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Lately I’ve been finding quite a few 1920s pipes for relatively inexpensive. I was able to get this lot for $10 a pipe. I bought it for the Orlik Scoop. However, the other pipe with the quotation marks may be of interest too. Not a $1300 Dunhill sale like Aaron’s Dunhill, but enjoy.

Dec 10, 2013
Lately I’ve been finding quite a few 1920s pipes for relatively inexpensive. I was able to get this lot for $10 a pipe. I bought it for the Orlik Scoop. However, the other pipe with the quotation marks may be of interest too. Not a $1300 Dunhill sale like Aaron’s Dunhill, but enjoy.

Well done sir ! Look as if they will clean up nicely too !
The Orlik "scoop" patent is a wonderfully grained apple.

Dec 10, 2013
Maybe a diagonal break about 3/4" from the stem connection? Still, a war-time Dunhill is rare and probably worth the gamble at that price.

Edited - my bad, I didn't look closely at the stampings and took the seller's word at 1942.
Here are two more accurate pictures of the shank ; two of the three - I posted to the seller.
It is of course not a crack, but a fracture . Actually a triple one !
Apart from the entire shank fracture ( first picture ) there was also a triangular one on the under/left side of the shank, if you understand my meaning.
Oddly, there was no briar missing, so the repair looks very agreeable . It looks much better in real. What you might think of as a poor glue joint ( right upperside triangular fracture, second picture ) is in the blast .
Ideas for a shank reinforcement, apart from my poor one ? Please share.
Or could it hold ? It looks and feels solid.
Dunhill 1950 lovat breuk.jpgdunhill pijp met barst 01.jpg