PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Meanwhile, arguably in the department of very saddest looking Dunhill grail ever seen (which is to say something that apparently began life as a so-called swan neck LC shell), there was this sorry looking specimen.

Listed as "Vintage LC Dunhill's "SHE" Large Pipe"--and held together with electricians tape obscuring most of the pipe's nomenclature (as well as quite what damage the shank had sustained), the seller ended the listing early because of "error"--so my guess is it was then sold off EBay by private treaty, and someone somewhere is now bravely tackling what can only be called its resurrection.

Sad LC 1.jpgSad LC 2.jpg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Meanwhile, arguably in the department of very saddest looking Dunhill grail ever seen (which is to say something that apparently began life as a so-called swan neck LC shell), there was this sorry looking specimen.

Listed as "Vintage LC Dunhill's "SHE" Large Pipe"--and held together with electricians tape obscuring most of the pipe's nomenclature (as well as quite what damage the shank had sustained), the seller ended the listing early because of "error"--so my guess is it was then sold off EBay by private treaty, and someone somewhere is now bravely tackling what can only be called its resurrection.

View attachment 148515View attachment 148516

Even as rare as LC's are....no

Reactions: Ronv69

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
This one is much better looking and the price is fair :

No LC stamp though.
Pretty much impossible to fail being "better looking." And more importantly, a promising candidate for restoration (depending on how advanced the stem oxidation turned out to be). But while 6.25" was certainly a very decent sized for a 1925 Dunhill, LCs are considerably larger.

One intriguing thing about this pipe is that it appears to lack any shape stamp (nor to have a innertube size), even though the nomenclature is quite crisp. The sales prose in catalogues of the time suggest that unlike Dunhill's smooth pipes, blasted ones might not conform to their standard shapes, but almost all surviving shells from the 20s have more than just patent numbers. Definitely one of those "never say never" kind of things.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Pretty much impossible to fail being "better looking." And more importantly, a promising candidate for restoration (depending on how advanced the stem oxidation turned out to be). But while 6.25" was certainly a very decent sized for a 1925 Dunhill, LCs are considerably larger.

One intriguing thing about this pipe is that it appears to lack any shape stamp (nor to have a innertube size), even though the nomenclature is quite crisp. The sales prose in catalogues of the time suggest that unlike Dunhill's smooth pipes, blasted ones might not conform to their standard shapes, but almost all surviving shells from the 20s have more than just patent numbers. Definitely one of those "never say never" kind of things.
Nice old 120 with a great swan neck bend. I'm sure the new owner will be happy with it.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
Nice old 120 with a great swan neck bend. I'm sure the new owner will be happy with it.
A rose by any other name. . . I'd also be inclined to say it's a 120. But more than a few mid-1920s Dunhill shells stamped only with a "9" (presumably indicating the correct innertube size) have turned up over the years.

Arguably a distinction without a difference (or enough of one for anyone rational to waste time thinking about), but something perhaps a few of us feel worth noting.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Went over my limit, but I tried. Buyer got a hell of a deal.

Should this have shown up for me within my US-based Ebay account? I did not see it and would have liked to...

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Indeed, a coup! Here it is, crap photo and all, but best in the set.

s-l1600.jpg

guylesss

Can't Leave
May 13, 2020
Brooklyn, NY

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My top bid was $3 too low. I would have liked to have won this one. I've been collecting GBD's for 11 years now, and check Ebay auctions for that brand every day. I've never seen a GBD true Author shape. "Extra" grade, which is older, although I'm not sure about Rodrigo's claim of the 1920's. The button doesn't necessarily strike me as 1920's, but the smaller GBD rondell was used in the 1930's, and validated with hallmarked pipes. Maybe the winner will turn out to be a dead-beat buyer!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Did any of the comoys fans go for this?

I picked this dunny up this morning