PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse,
Are you speaking of 1975 prices ? ;)

Seriously most of us looking at Barlings now are following your well-trodden footsteps and have to put up with elevated prices because you cornered the market a couple of decades ago.

Oh, to be a trend-setter bdw
This pipe I bought in 2018. MY little collection? It's very modest, has few of the highly prized models and is mostly comprised of well smoked beaters that basically kick ass. I work strictly on a budget and, without any regret, will pass on anything that exceeds it. That said, I have accumulated a few nice and rare pieces, as well as the single rarest item associated with Barling. And all done well below what others pay.

I've privately seen some extraordinary collections that so far exceed anything on a forum that to compare one's collection to them would be like comparing one's cocktail napkin doodles to the Uffizi. Those were assembled as expressions of passion, without any consideration of cost. Most people have little to no idea what heights of craftsmanship were achieved in the arcane area of smoking pipes. And, exactly none of them ever show up on eBay.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
This pipe I bought in 2018. MY little collection? It's very modest, has few of the highly prized models and is mostly comprised of well smoked beaters that basically kick ass. I work strictly on a budget and, without any regret, will pass on anything that exceeds it. That said, I have accumulated a few nice and rare pieces, as well as the single rarest item associated with Barling. And all done well below what others pay.

I've privately seen some extraordinary collections that so far exceed anything on a forum that to compare one's collection to them would be like comparing one's cocktail napkin doodles to the Uffizi. Those were assembled as expressions of passion, without any consideration of cost. Most people have little to no idea what heights of craftsmanship were achieved in the arcane area of smoking pipes. And, exactly none of them ever show up on eBay.
Okay. My ears or eyes perked up. What is the rarest of rare you speak of?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Okay. My ears or eyes perked up. What is the rarest of rare you speak of?
A complete Ca 1914 Barling Catalog, the only one known to survive, that was the company's own reference copy as well.
A couple of Barling magnums ain't bad either, but printed material is much rarer than pipes.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have a soft spot for family era Weingott pipes and it is a bloody nuisance ( understatement ) I missed this one

Here's a nice one with a replacement bit. It looks like they smoked it in the case to keep it from coloring.

Weingott meerschaum

s-l1600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That would not stop the coloring, which comes from the inside. It would keep dirt and oils off the stummel, though.

I thought it might affect the heat distribution, which would affect the coloring. There's been a lot of debate over the years, as to what affects coloring, but the guys 100+ years ago seemed to have a handle on it.

In any case, it's well-smoked and it's real meerschaum - unusual to see one this old, and smoked, with no coloring.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Any thoughts on this one? The top set of hallmarks are on the band, the bottom set are on the pipe's rim.
Very nice Ben Wade calabash. It will probably require lots of cleaning internally. No date, but it's possible to guess approximately from the shape of the stamp. Not sure if that's actually gold though, seems to be a gold-plated alloy, perhaps even a gold-plated "Silveroid" that they often used on economy level pipes. If it's available at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. It will likely smoke just as well as any other calabash.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Very nice Ben Wade calabash. It will probably require lots of cleaning internally. No date, but it's possible to guess approximately from the shape of the stamp. Not sure if that's actually gold though, seems to be a gold-plated alloy, perhaps even a gold-plated "Silveroid" that they often used on economy level pipes. If it's available at a reasonable price I wouldn't hesitate to purchase it. It will likely smoke just as well as any other calabash.
Thanks - I was hoping it was Ben Wade, but I know nothing about them. It should arrive soon and hopefully can be smoked soon. I've had mixed luck with these old gourds.

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Thanks - I was hoping it was Ben Wade, but I know nothing about them. It should arrive soon and hopefully can be smoked soon. I've had mixed luck with these old gourds.
Perhaps after you've cleaned the pipe up to your satisfaction I can ask you to send me photographs of the markings? I'm compiling an index of them. Congratulations again.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Ahi Ka

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Peterson 9BC's are rarely found with a silver band, this Sterling went off on Sunday. We were at a college graduation party, I had set an alarm to bid but didn't hear it go off. I might have been in the hunt, oh well.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Which is most often so; it is mentioned in the listing. These were "hot melted" logos and they tend to "dissolve" in the oxidation.
I do not mind that SO much, as long as the stem is original. Bowl looks neatly topped.
Nice pipe overall ( allegedly Barling was not so very particular about grain designation ) , but what money !

Reactions: jpmcwjr

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
The price that this Barling straight grain got was about what I expected it to get. I'm not convinced that it's been topped. There's slight texture to the rim consistent with grain shrinkage. The stampings are crisp. The stem has more wear, not unusual for a pipe whose stem has been removed for buffing. The straight grain is neither the best, nor the worst I've seen on a Barling straight grain. A mid level example that got a mid level price.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The price that this Barling straight grain got was about what I expected it to get. I'm not convinced that it's been topped. There's slight texture to the rim consistent with grain shrinkage. The stampings are crisp. The stem has more wear, not unusual for a pipe whose stem has been removed for buffing. The straight grain is neither the best, nor the worst I've seen on a Barling straight grain. A mid level example that got a mid level price.

Maybe not topped, but I believe a lot of sanding was done to get rid of as many use issues as possible;i.e-the rim wear isn't consistent with the the restoration to the stem. In hand I think we could figure it out quickly. I don't know this seller. There are other sellers on ebay where, if I saw them selling this pipe, I would be positive that it had been topped, just because...they top pipes.