PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hallmarked and looks new, I guess was the right combination. I was also surprised at the interest in this pipe.
Maybe the buyers knew what they were looking at. F C in an oval. A couple of years back I did some digging for Ken Barnes regarding a 1910 pipe stamped F C in an oval and that turned out to be a Charatan, F C for Frederick Charatan. This makers mark looks like that one.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I have a soft spot for family era Weingott pipes and it is a bloody nuisance ( understatement ) I missed this one

Reactions: sablebrush52
Dec 10, 2013
Deadmans Pipes had a winner today, with a pretty rare Comoy's shape. I can't recall seeing a shape 100 go off anytime in the past few years.

Deadmans Pipes only has winners. Todd has a way with words and his pictures are spot on.
His restorations look very agreeable, though he is a little too generous with the carnauba wax to my taste. Apart from that he is a most kind and congenial person to talk to, always responding adequately and lightning fast.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
This early Barling with an alatross extension and replacement bit did really well:BARLING'S MAKE EBWB SILVER MOUNTED READING PIPE ALBATROSS BONE EXTENSION | eBay -
Looking at the bidding shows there was quite a sniping shootout at the end, with the predictable result that the pipe went for a pretty high price.

There was a group of five of these that was sold months ago, and went for a little more than $100 per pipe. See what better presentation can do?
I'm guessing that the group of five failed to mention albatross. I've had a search active for "albatross pipe" for a few years and don't recall being notified of those. I was one of the bidders on this piece. It's hardly in the class of some of their finer cased reading pipes. The bone looked quite narrow to me and the fitments were basic by Barling standards. I have a similar, unstamped pipe, but the stem is in two segments. Very delicate.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I have a soft spot for family era Weingott pipes and it is a bloody nuisance ( understatement ) I missed this one

Hi Orlando,

I’m curious, how is Weingott family era determined? The business was at the 3 Fleet location for over 70 years, and the brand changed hands more than once during that time. The family (in the person of Weingott’s grandson) was out by 1933. Is there a reliable way to date the pipes?

Cheers,
Jon
ps amazing deal, by the way, I’m sorry you missed it

Reactions: greeneyes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm guessing that the group of five failed to mention albatross. I've had a search active for "albatross pipe" for a few years and don't recall being notified of those. I was one of the bidders on this piece. It's hardly in the class of some of their finer cased reading pipes. The bone looked quite narrow to me and the fitments were basic by Barling standards. I have a similar, unstamped pipe, but the stem is in two segments. Very delicate.
The auction that this pipe came from, that group of five, was so badly listed it barely existed. I only found it by accident.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This poor pipe was owned by a beaver. If it was smoked it couldn't have been more than a couple of times, but the owner left a good amount of tooth chatter.

Dec 10, 2013
Hi Orlando,

I’m curious, how is Weingott family era determined? The business was at the 3 Fleet location for over 70 years, and the brand changed hands more than once during that time. The family (in the person of Weingott’s grandson) was out by 1933. Is there a reliable way to date the pipes?

Cheers,
Jon
ps amazing deal, by the way, I’m sorry you missed it
Hello Jon,
Sorry for the delay, I own you a elaborate answer and it will come.
There's trouble with my parents. It is very engaging, they live remote and there's no internet over there.
Please bear with me kind fellers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Dec 10, 2013
This poor pipe was owned by a beaver. If it was smoked it couldn't have been more than a couple of times, but the owner left a good amount of tooth chatter.
Yes, beavers eat pipe stems for breakfast, mice prefer the briar part :(
I own a wonderful unsmoked Charatan, showing similar toothmarks, only many more.
It is what toddlers do when you give them a pipe to play with :eek:
Can be dealt with, sadly on cost of losing some material :(

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
This is bonkers

I didn't expect to see it go that high. Was this set the only way to get certain reissued shapes?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wtf?!?….

well I have the A series 1910 bulldog if anyone wants to buy it lol.

also here is the same set for sale for much less

The purpose of an auction is to obtain the highest possible price for an object. If the seller doesn't screw up the listing, the price can be quite high. eBay often generates very high prices for collectibles that are not matched in auctions of more limited visibility.