I Prefer to Smoke Hot and Fast Is There a Tobacco for Me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
But to stay on topic, a cob I believe would also help in staying cool, atleast better than a briar. However, I've gotten cobs too hot to handle before. My Grabow gets hot somedays, when it's really windy, or I'm just being a maniac. I just hold it by the shank. Haha
If you build up a thick cake in a cob, it's darn near impossible to burn out. On the other hand, a cob freshly reamed to the bare cob will burn out easily.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
A slight word of caution with cobs: they are great pipes, I smoke several MM cobs, but without a filter they can be really drafty. It’s easy to smoke one too fast if you haven’t gotten your cadence slowed down yet. A filter will add enough resistance to the draw to fix that, but I don’t know how you feel about filters. Another solution lies in packing the bowl a little tighter, but that is very technique-dependent.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Do you buy the tubs or the pouches? I've seen people saying that the tub OTCs sometimes have a slightly different cut. I'm trying to find a post-deeming regulations daily smoke.
I have purchased both, and yes they are totally different cuts. Almost like different tobaccos. I much prefer the tub.

20170923_190400.jpg

And this is the tobacco that comes out of the tub.

IMG_20200506_121608.jpg

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hey guys, I just recently started smoking a pipe. I started mainly to stop smoking cigarettes and made a seamless transfer a week ago after smoking a pack a day of nearly 10 years (hurray me). Anyway I know it's not SOP to smoke a pipe fast and hot but I can't seem to help it because I want to feel it when I inhale. I've been smoking aromatics and I know I'm just torching the topping and I taste absolutely nothing. Would switching to a non aromatic give me some flavor even when I smoke this way or am I up a tree?
Yes, it will.

Mar 1, 2014
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hey guys, I just recently started smoking a pipe. I started mainly to stop smoking cigarettes and made a seamless transfer a week ago after smoking a pack a day of nearly 10 years (hurray me). Anyway I know it's not SOP to smoke a pipe fast and hot but I can't seem to help it because I want to feel it when I inhale. I've been smoking aromatics and I know I'm just torching the topping and I taste absolutely nothing. Would switching to a non aromatic give me some flavor even when I smoke this way or am I up a tree?

First off if you're trying to treat your lungs better then I'd suggest getting a Vape mechanism. I'm not an expert on the subject but I have seen some tests and various opinions that Vape is a big step up in quality of life for many people.

I know it might sound weird to have a mechanical nicotine source sitting right beside your tobacco pipe, but if your excessive puffing is due to the desire for a nic-hit then you'd probably be better off getting nicotine somewhere other than the pipe and then enjoying the pipe just as a way to relax instead of trying to use it as a wholesale replacement for cigarettes.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
First off if you're trying to treat your lungs better then I'd suggest getting a Vape mechanism. I'm not an expert on the subject but I have seen some tests and various opinions that Vape is a big step up in quality of life for many people.

I know it might sound weird to have a mechanical nicotine source sitting right beside your tobacco pipe, but if your excessive puffing is due to the desire for a nic-hit then you'd probably be better off getting nicotine somewhere other than the pipe and then enjoying the pipe just as a way to relax instead of trying to use it as a wholesale replacement for cigarettes.
This is what a buddy of mine does. He was a heavy smoker and now mostly vapes but supplements it with a pipe or occasional cigar.

Mar 1, 2014
In general you're never going to get flavour with a hot pipe because the molecules you actually "taste" are contained in steam, not smoke. It's a fine line between "Smoke" and "Steam" but one is a destructive combination of carbon and oxygen, the other is just supplying enough energy to release vapour from the leaf.
A perfect tobacco pipe would never burn any tobacco. It just happens that sacrificing some of the leaf to flame is a very convenient way to steam out the rest of the leaf in the bowl.

It's kind of like what I've learned with ideal cooking temperatures recently, my lungs were starting to react poorly to oven smoke, turns out most oils don't start to smoke until heated to over 350f, so if you just cook at 350f then you don't get any smoke, and the nutritional value of food is maintained much better at lower temperatures.

Reactions: smokey789

desrtrat68

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
This is what a buddy of mine does. He was a heavy smoker and now mostly vapes but supplements it with a pipe or occasional cigar.

This is what I do. I switched to vaping from Cigs about 10 years ago. It will satisfy the nic desire and will deliver a lot of flavor, but it's an adjustment (takes a couple weeks to get used to). It tastes nothing at all like a cigarrette, even when you get the tobacco flavored liquids, however, since switching I haven't had a cig in about 8 years. I tried one about 5 years ago and put it out immediately as they just taste bad to me now. I guess it remains to be seen whether vaping is actually better for you compared to smoking, but I know I stopped wheezing at night almost immediately after switching. YMMV. Right now I'm looking to cut back on the vaping and work in more pipe smoking...eventually not inhaling anything. It's been good and bad so far haha.

tmgaus51

Might Stick Around
Oct 12, 2015
GL Pease makes really good semi-aromatic blends. I find you can sip them at a decent speed and still get a lot of flavor. If you want something powerful to slow you down, I seem to remember War Horse packing a good punch.

smokey789

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2020
Western Pennsylvania
GL Pease makes really good semi-aromatic blends. I find you can sip them at a decent speed and still get a lot of flavor. If you want something powerful to slow you down, I seem to remember War Horse packing a good punch.
Got a tin of that to try in my cupboard. No basement here.

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
Alright so I've been playing with it for a few days. I've managed to slow down and I can actually taste it! I still inhale occasionally but only about 2 or 3 times per bowl. Usually right when I get it lit when it is the hottest and has the thickest smoke. I was watching muttnchop Piper on YouTube and he mentioned that smoking a pipe is like eating a sucker. That made sense to me so I tried keeping that in mind and found it to be to my advantage.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I agree it's definitely a nicotine thing right now! Like I said it's only been a week. I'm sure I'll slow down with time but until I get there it sure would be nice to taste something. I bought the Mac baren seven seas variety pack and they all smell nice but I literally taste nothing.
Yes, well done to you.

When one switches from cigs to a pipe, one goes through a withdrawal period from some of the 300+ added chemicals as well as from the nicotine.

Over ten years ago I switched from 40-a-day after many failed quit attempts.
At first I smoked blends with mild to medium nic levels but now mainly smoke blends with mild Vit N.

Psychologically it was a compromise where I figured that a puff on a pipe was better than nothing.
The pipe still is a placebo. I tend to have several puffs before putting the pipe down so I don't smoke a bowl from start to finish like many/most pipe smokers.

You're going through an adjustment period atm so just persevere. Give it time and your enjoyment will increase with time and experience.
I'm so glad that I switched not only because pipe tobacco tastes way better than cigarettes but because I no longer crave.

Try pipes with smaller bowls [Like a Dr Grabow Duke for e.g.] They don't get as hot as larger bowls when you're puffing fast.

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
Try pipes with smaller bowls [Like a Dr Grabow Duke for e.g.] They don't get as hot as larger bowls when you're puffing fast.
[/QUOTE]

I have a Duke in the cupboard but haven't tried it yet as I really enjoy the bent stem on my Starfire.