I Prefer to Smoke Hot and Fast Is There a Tobacco for Me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
I just ordered some bold Kentucky flake so we shall see how that goes. Thank you all very much for the input and suggestions. Hopefully this will help me slow down and reduce the desire to inhale every third hit.

Reactions: luigi and Casual

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Some good advice here. I smoked cigarettes for 25+ years and didn't understand pipes until I quit 10 years ago. They are not the same thing.

Cigarettes are all about the hit, pipes are more of a gentle baking over an extended time. I wouldn't go back to cigarettes now if you paid me.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
Camel lights
I still love that Turkish flavor. You might want to seek out something with a little of that Oriental flavor. Presbyterian has very little Lat so, you are mainly getting Va and Orientals. I used to smoke a lot of the Dunhill 965. It had a nice Turkish flavor with complexity. I, personally, don’t find that in the present Peterson version but, the Match 965 (Match 20) has a similar flavor profile to the original.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Camel lights
Yeahman, if you ever start craving that flavor give Presby a spin. Not much in the way of nicotine but it's as close as I can imagine getting to a camel light in your pipe. Another close one is Ramback Balkan, but it can burn hot and might be too tempting to inhale.

Reactions: dcon
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Ever retrohaled a cigarette? More flavorful than you think. Coming from cigarettes myself, I've yet to experience nicotine in any pipe tobacco I've smoked in the past thirty years, and I'm including the Gawith catalog, Five Brothers, and the like.
Yeah, I’ve retrohaled cigarettes before, but my sample size is admittedly small. I started with cigars and tried OTC cigarettes only a couple times. Just didn’t do it for me. Maybe it was the brands I tried, but it just tasted stale and dried out both times. I never cared much for inhaling either, so I didn’t see the point in my case. But I can see how inhaling cigarette smoke regularly could build up a tolerance and an itch that’s tough to scratch.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Being a hot and fast smoker myself, I smoke Carter Hall 99% of the time. It handles the heat pretty well. Other blends really burn me at my pace.
I remember reading an old thread and saw that you had tried Pegasus for a change to CH. How did you like it, and how does it compare to Carter Hall?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I remember reading an old thread and saw that you had tried Pegasus for a change to CH. How did you like it, and how does it compare to Carter Hall?
Pegasus, I'm still working on. Not a huge fan yet. And honestly I don't know what it is, but it makes my stomach queezy after 3 bowls in a row lmao. But I like the idea of it, the cut, the price, the company that makes it. So I'll have to keep trying. Haha

rdpowell

Might Stick Around
Oct 25, 2017
East Texas
rdpipes.briar.club
As someone already mentioned, smoking hard and fast isn't good for any pipe and in time it'll fail you.
If this is your preferred way to smoke a pipe I think I'd just smoke cobs, a lot less expensive and if one
should burn out , no loss. Otherwise slow down and enjoy life, being in a rush never gets us anywhere except........

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Pegasus, I'm still working on. Not a huge fan yet. And honestly I don't know what it is, but it makes my stomach queezy after 3 bowls in a row lmao. But I like the idea of it, the cut, the price, the company that makes it. So I'll have to keep trying. Haha
Interesting. Maybe the higher nicotine content than of what 3 bowls of CH would contain? Hope it clicks with you one of these days!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Interesting. Maybe the higher nicotine content than of what 3 bowls of CH would contain? Hope it clicks with you one of these days!
Either that, or there's too much Burley. Which is wierd cause Burley is all I smoke. But my blends are usually a VA/bur mix.

Bloody Marc

Lurker
May 2, 2020
Michigan
As someone already mentioned, smoking hard and fast isn't good for any pipe and in time it'll fail you.
If this is your preferred way to smoke a pipe I think I'd just smoke cobs, a lot less expensive and if one
should burn out , no loss. Otherwise slow down and enjoy life, being in a rush never gets us anywhere except........
I'm smoking out of a Dr. Grabow Starfire and I haven't gotten it too hot to hold on to

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I occasionally pick up the Camel Crushes too.
The only time I strayed from camels, me and the wife smoked Marlboro menthol for about 2 years. Then she got pregnant and quit smoking, and I went back to my camels.
But to stay on topic, a cob I believe would also help in staying cool, atleast better than a briar. However, I've gotten cobs too hot to handle before. My Grabow gets hot somedays, when it's really windy, or I'm just being a maniac. I just hold it by the shank. Haha

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Pegasus is my favorite everyday blend. I think it's similar to CH with a higher nicotine content. It behaves like CH but, to me, tastes alot better. Actually, price wise, Pegasus is a better choice.