PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'm sure this has been done to death, and I _have_ looked into it, but what are your recommendations? I've seen a noodle press used. I'm interested to hear anyones, advice/experiences doing this. I have a number of jarred tobaccos I'd love to try making into cakes.

Reactions: JOHN72 and dunnyboy
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I bought a noodle press that was inexpensive, but, I haven't had time to try anything yet; life has gotten in the way of experimenting with it.
Same.

We are just starting to get the basement back together after Michigan's monsoon season from last year (parts of Detroit were literally under water).

I hate feeling unsettled and having the home in disarray.

I know, what's my next excuse- especially when I have a few blends picked out and some blending mixes in mind.

Sigh. Life happens.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
The noodle press works great. You end up with a dense puck and a melding of the flavors in the blend(s). It’s not a plug unless you started with whole leaf, but it’s dense.

The general process I use with the noodle press is to take the blend I want to press, microwave it for 5-10 seconds, and load the press. Microwaving makes the leaf more pliable and releases some moisture.

Crank it down and re-tighten later in the day. Just give it a crank if it needs it when you walk by the press. After a few days it’ll have stabilized. Leave it in the press for about 10 days before releasing it. You could add gum Arabic if you want a really dense puck but I’ve never bothered.

Adjust the process as needed for you.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You could always just use a caulk gun.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I actually welded a piece onto a tube so that it would hold tobacco, and then used a c clamp to make my cakes. Only about 3 days and it started to form. I want an easy way to make square ones.
I'm a former welder by trade. You could use square tubing. Weld a plate to the bottom and cut a piece to go int the tube. You'll have to round the corners a bit. I may have to do this myself.

Jul 18, 2019
Been enjoying cakes lately, and saw a few videos on this - all with variations on pipes and a clamp! Might try it someday for easy of carrying around some favorite ribbons.

Reactions: AJL67

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
The noodle press works great. You end up with a dense puck and a melding of the flavors in the blend(s). It’s not a plug unless you started with whole leaf, but it’s dense.

The general process I use with the noodle press is to take the blend I want to press, microwave it for 5-10 seconds, and load the press. Microwaving makes the leaf more pliable and releases some moisture.

Crank it down and re-tighten later in the day. Just give it a crank if it needs it when you walk by the press. After a few days it’ll have stabilized. Leave it in the press for about 10 days before releasing it. You could add gum Arabic if you want a really dense puck but I’ve never bothered.

Adjust the process as needed for you.
What do you use at the end of the press? The molds they come with all have holes.
Do you line it with anything? Thanks!

Reactions: JOHN72

n_irwin

Can't Leave
Apr 15, 2022
Oklahoma, USA
I’m genuinely curious…what’s the value in pressing tobaccos at home? Reducing storage space? Maintaining moisture levels? Maturing the tobacco? @renfield mentioned melding the flavors. Seems like an easy, inexpensive process, so I thought I might give it a shot, but I wanted to understand it more.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I've used the noodle press. I put a few layers of tin foil at the bottom to keep stuff from seeping out the noodle holes. As stated above, it makes a very dense puck in a few days.

Reactions: AJL67