PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
In my case, I've done it to mail to friends in countries where only plug tobacco is legal. So I made ribbons into "plugs" (customs doesn't know the difference between plug and cake). It hasn't failed to pass customs yet!
i had no idea there were such distinctions for 'plug' only tobacco. What countries are these and how would one look such a thing up?

Reactions: Yadkin1765

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I made a simple rectangular poplar wood frame that was the same inside-length as a flake of Sliced Edgeworth. and the same inside-width as four Slices laid side-by-side. Its overall height was 5.5-inches, and its sides were each 1.5-inches thick. The sides were joined with wood-screws. I then cut two rectangular plates of the same wood, and that fit closely inside the frame (one at the bottom, the other at the top). Each plate was 3-inches thick. Note that the plates were not attached to the frame, but free to move within it.

The frame was lined with baker's parchment, and the plates were covered with same, this to prevent the wood from affecting the tobacco's aroma and flavor. The tobacco was placed between the plates inside of the frame, and pressure was applied via a heavy 6-inch c-clamp. It's amazing how much pressure the clamp can exert, and I tightened it daily as the tobacco compressed.

After two weeks I had a solid cake that could be sliced with a razor-knife.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
As they say in the NFL, upon further review...

I wrote the above description from my original design notes. After posting it, I got out my press and saw that, in actuality, the bottom plate was cut to the same overall outside dimensions as the frame, so that the frame sat squarely upon it. The fixed side of the c-clamp was applied to the bottom plate, and the moving side to the top plate (which moves inside of the frame).

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I use the $20 noodle press from Amazon. It works fine for me. I put the blend in a light sandwich bag and load that into the press. The bag is easy to remove, no loss of “juices”, no cleanup. You results my vary.

Reactions: Scottmi and SBC

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
I pressed this for only 24 hours in a small Tupperware container with a weight on it inside. It's a bit soft, but it can be handled. I wonder if i leave it a few weeks if I can make slices. IMG_20230102_125527988.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Released the Haunted Woods from the press just now where it has been for the last 6 full days. 10 grams of tobacco compressed down to a sturdy 6mm (~1/4 inch) thick puck. Looks and smells fantastic! Dropped into a jar for the night, will try it tomorrow...
IMG_2874.JPG IMG_2875.JPG IMG_2879.jpg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Released the Haunted Woods from the press just now where it has been for the last 6 full days. 10 grams of tobacco compressed down to a sturdy 6mm (~1/4 inch) thick puck. Looks and smells fantastic! Dropped into a jar for the night, will try it tomorrow...
View attachment 192538 View attachment 192537 View attachment 192536
1/6/23: and it was Magnificent! After cutting some slices off the puck, they crumbled easily, loaded easily, lit easily, tamped nicely and burned wonderfully. The "ghost" in the woods, the perfume/incense from combining (i think) the perique with the latakia, was immediately noticed from the first puff. The mix was pleasantly sweet with background hints of chocolate here and there. Plenty of smoke for the room, nothing bitey at all. Very happy with this effort will do more.
hw.jpeg

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Instead of just packing away the holiday blend "We Three Kings" for a year, decided to put 50 grams of the open tin into the pasta press and make it a cake... kept some loose still in tin and look forward to comparing in about a week. I found this blend quite tasty and very easy to smoke.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Instead of just packing away the holiday blend "We Three Kings" for a year, decided to put 50 grams of the open tin into the pasta press and make it a cake... kept some loose still in tin and look forward to comparing in about a week. I found this blend quite tasty and very easy to smoke.
The week of pressing is done. 50 gram puck of We Three Kings is 2" diameter and 3/4" thick. Quite solid and moist.
IMG_2950.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
As they say in the NFL, upon further review...

I wrote the above description from my original design notes. After posting it, I got out my press and saw that, in actuality, the bottom plate was cut to the same overall outside dimensions as the frame, so that the frame sat squarely upon it. The fixed side of the c-clamp was applied to the bottom plate, and the moving side to the top plate (which moves inside of the frame).
Inspired by this Thread, I blended some of my Shelby Foote mixture: two parts Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend to one-part of what he called "rough-cut" (in this case I used Barking Dog), and pressed it for a week. Today, I removed a beautiful, solid, rectangular cake of enticing-smelling and -looking tobacco. As soon as the weather warms-up, I'll be giving it a try!