PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I've been told I smoke "alot" and "too much." Don't know what the real answer is, but I generally smoke 2-3 bowls a day. (Sometimes more)

When I'm at home, I rotate my pipes, generally only smoking the same one once or twice a week. I keep two pipes in my pickup. I keep four pipes in my semi, which are my workhorses. I admittedly beat the hell out of those pipes. I don't clean them as often as I should, and I've been known to smoke the same one multiple times a day for days on end.

You'll find that mileage may vary when it comes to this question, however, I would encourage you to purchase at least 4 pipes if you plan on smoking twice a day. At a minimum, don't let follow my bad example, allow each pipe to rest at least a day between smoking.

Good luck on this and happy smoking. Also, please keep us posted on your progress.

v/r,
Chris

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
I feel jealous of all yall long time smokers that can somehow stave off the urge and keep yourselves to a couple bowls a day.
At the point the nicotine addiction/oral fixation is so strong that the only reason i wouldnt want to smoke again and again would be tongue bite or that weird feeling on the roof of your mouth, but as long as i smoke slow thats not a problem.

do yall chew seeds or something to resist the urge, or are you possessors of “self control”?

Reactions: HopHand

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
I feel jealous of all yall long time smokers that can somehow stave off the urge and keep yourselves to a couple bowls a day.
At the point the nicotine addiction/oral fixation is so strong that the only reason i wouldnt want to smoke again and again would be tongue bite or that weird feeling on the roof of your mouth, but as long as i smoke slow thats not a problem.

do yall chew seeds or something to resist the urge, or are you possessors of “self control”?
What is this “self control” you speak of? Lmao

Reactions: OlJawBone

Kissel bixby

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 10, 2021
A LOT, all day one after another when I am not working and don't have to go out. I started with 1 brier pipe, had a hard time resting it. Let it cool,, Cleaned it often then packed again. Bought a 2nd, a dr watson on Amazon, smoked the 2 even more. Found tobbacopipes.com and started ordering more. I rotate now and dedicated some aro vs English. A handful of long stem cobs are really nice and didn't taste like burnt corn(others like the corn taste), I have a straight stem that tastes nasty. I have a Molina Peppino, dr grabow and most recent Molina churchwarden. I like to clench but the corn churchwarden, brier and long stem cobs and now I also enjoy holding a pipe. If it's tasting sour, give it a break, clean good. If you are smoking all day I can see if the experience getting bad but let's say 4 xs a day, you can get away with it. A purist will disagree but in the beginning days enjoy and don't overthink it.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
I'm very inconsistent indeed. Sometimes 3 bowls a day, sometimes nothing at all for a week or three. Also, though I prefer a pipe to all else overall, I tend to prefer cigars in the summer months... Pipe smoking is something I very much associate with the coziness of the cooler seasons.

And I'm still a social cigarette smoker, unfortunately... though my consumption could be measured in weeks per pack rather than packs per day. One thing is for certain, my cellar will certainly outlive me. Yet I keep acquiring like a nut... lol.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
Good evening guys! As a newbie I'm very enthusiastic about smoking and I try to smoke a bowl or two a day. I'm kind of anxious if I mistreat my pipe but I try to rest it as much as I can and I'm thinking of buying a second one in the near future. So my question is how much do you smoke? Do you smoke two different pipes a day?
I would suggest that a better question is what is the weight of tobacco smoked per day. Bowls come in all manner of sizes and capacities. For example my work horse cobs are quite small bowled--good for a 10-15 minute smoke whereas I have a briar Canadian that has a bowl that looks like a golf club.

I haven't really measured it for myself but it seems that 453g of tobacco per month (1 US Pound per month) is my average, and I do smoke every day (though number of bowls seems to differ depending on what I'm smoking).

How exactly would you mistreat a pipe? Don't put it into a blender. Try to not sit on it, and definitely don't run over it with a tractor. If you avoid these things you should be fine. That advice does not necessarily apply to meerschaum those always seem so delicate to me. I have one, but I don't really smoke it, or even take it out of its case very much.

I'd say for a decent pipe as long as you don't remove the stem while it is hot, clean it on a semi-regular basis will last a long time. Cobs less so because they are a corn cob (depends on how often they are smoked--work horse cobs last around 6 months, those I smoke far less have lasted years--cobs will eventually burn out but they are cheap so its alright even the "fancy ones" are cheap), but briars will last a long time, I have some I still smoke, that I bought at the drug store in the late 1990s that I still smoke on a semi-regular basis.

I typically smoke two to three different pipes in a day. In the morning I like a strong English with my coffee, when I'm at work I usually prefer burley bends and smoke small bowled pipes (as I can usually justify a 15 minute smoke break but not an hour) and then if the mood strikes and I don't want an English when I get home I smoke yet a different pipe.

I'm sure it has been suggested by others, but I suggest picking up a couple cobs so as to give your briar pipe a rest between smokes. As I said earlier even the fancy ones are cheap. I ordered just recently a churchwarden style cob that I'm waiting on, and only ran me about 30 USD which depending on where you are could be considered "budget" level for briars.

I would also suggest that if you plan on trying many types of tobaccos to pick up cobs as in my opinion they provide the truest taste of the tobacco save for a new/clean clay pipe. Also my experience indicates that different types of tobaccos impart different flavors to pipes. For example if you smoke an English in a pipe and then smoke a neutral burley in the same pipe later I've detected residual Latakia/Oriental flavor.

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

makhorkasmoker

Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I smoke 1-2 small bowl cobs per day. I will often take a few puffs, set the pipe down, go do something, and not get back to the pipe for an hour or two. This means a pipe will often spend the better part of the day with partially burned tobacco in it. Because of this, and because I store the pipes in a high humidity garage, I try to give them extra rest time. I have four to five in rotation.

Effortlessdepths

Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
Good evening guys! As a newbie I'm very enthusiastic about smoking and I try to smoke a bowl or two a day. I'm kind of anxious if I mistreat my pipe but I try to rest it as much as I can and I'm thinking of buying a second one in the near future. So my question is how much do you smoke? Do you smoke two different pipes a day?
I am bad. I rarely smoke during the day, but every night I sit on my back porch and smoke 7-10 bowls back to back until my tongue and palate are shot. Word of advice: get a fleet of corn cob pipes from Missouri Meerschaum and rotate them. Also, after every smoke, clean them with a pipe cleaners and paper towel in the bowl. It takes 15 seconds, and by the time I've smoked 2 more bowls I can often resmoke a second bowl in that pipe I already smoked with. You can be a bit lenient with the resting time.

Chris81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 11, 2021
Malaga, Spain
Right now I'm smoking around 5 bowls everyday because after years of neglect (I was mainly a cigarette smoker) now I have bought new pipes and trying new tobaccos, so it's a lot of excitement and discovery.

Reactions: WildTurkeySurprise

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm a newbie too. But since that means something different for everyone, for me it means I've been playing around with early experimentation of aromatics in pear wood pipes for the first 1.5 - 2 years having maybe a bowl or so a day. But since just about the time the calendar rolled to 2021 I've been getting "serious" and upped my purchasing of briar pipes and jumped into the tobacco "tasting" wagon. (Some simply call this PAD & TAD) So for about 10 months now I've been pushing closer to 3 bowls every evening. (In fact, I've wondered if I'm harming my oral internals in any way. That will be another thread.) What I prefer is to grab a fresh pipe for each bowl. Now sometimes I'll have a 2nd or even push for a 3rd in the same pipe, but I actually think that is more "research" driven for me to learn how the pipe performs, what it's limitations may be, etc. So when I'm at home with my collection I like grabbing a fresh one. And if that idea is cost prohibitive to you, I recommend the cob option. Just a week or so ago I got a dozen new cobs off of ebay for maybe $30 delivered. I smoked my first one soon after and was very impressed. I'm still needing to do more "research" ;) , but I'm initially very impressed. That makes it cheap and easy to see if your pipe prefers being rested. Mine might enjoy that partially because of the generally high humidity in AR and an inserted finger can quickly note if it's still damp from the night before; often they are.
Cheers.