PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Alaskan moose hunters, many of them anyway, spend big bucks to minimize the effort of the hunt. UTV's, shooting from the boat, putting the moose down within easy distance of the boat, all minimize the need for
back packing" the quarters. Used to do my moose hunt on horse back. Back then it wasn't the hunt, it was the meat.

Our general rule is we don't shoot any moose more than a mile or so from whatever vehicle we are hunting from. It's not necessarily the amount of work that prompts this (although packing moose on foot is certainly a herculean effort) it's the time. Packing that much weight (usually 5 to 600 lbs) for miles and miles across muskeg can quickly become a multi-day affair, especially as it usually takes at least 3 trips on foot. We have broken that rule a handful of times and it makes for an extremely difficult few days. Even when it's all back to camp, there is no guarantee that the weather will cooperate for flying it back to town. It's a great way to spend the better part of a week out there longer than you had intended.

The other consideration is the time of day the moose gets shot. If you shoot it late enough in the day and have to pack it out on foot, you may have to leave some of the meat out there overnight, which where we hunt is a great risk, as you may return to find it buried and pissed on with a bear camped out on top of it. Hanging it obviously helps, but getting it high enough to be out of a bears reach is nearly impossible with the equipment (or lack thereof) that you can take into the field on foot.

But no matter which way you do it, field dressing and getting a moose out of the field (or worse/better yet, two like we did this season) will burn a substantial amount of calories. And time.

Last edited:

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I'm a desk jockey, so my job unfortunately is sedentary. I live about a half mile from my office, and I walk to work every day. I also usually walk home for lunch. That adds up to about two miles a day during the work week. I also mow my rather large yard with a push mower in the warm months, and I heat my house mostly with wood during the cold months. Both of those chores involve a couple hours of moderately intense effort per week on average. I kayak and canoe a lot on the weekends during the warmer months as well.

I probably don't get as much exercise as I should, but it could be a lot worse. Luckily I'm not very prone to putting on weight, and I also keep a pretty healthy diet, so I stay in decent shape easy enough as far as weight goes.

For a few years in my late 20's I was very into weight lifting and the corresponding diet, and I was in very good shape. However, the fitness lifestyle is really just not for me. I do keep telling myself I'll at least get back into a pushup / pullup routine, and then I'll successfully stick with it for a while, then fall off again.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I'm a desk jockey, so my job unfortunately is sedentary. I live about a half mile from my office, and I walk to work every day. I also usually walk home for lunch. That adds up to about two miles a day during the work week. I also mow my rather large yard with a push mower in the warm months, and I heat my house mostly with wood during the cold months. Both of those chores involve a couple hours of moderately intense effort per week on average. I kayak and canoe a lot on the weekends during the warmer months as well.

I probably don't get as much exercise as I should, but it could be a lot worse. Luckily I'm not very prone to putting on weight, and I also keep a pretty healthy diet, so I stay in decent shape easy enough as far as weight goes.

For a few years in my late 20's I was very into weight lifting and the corresponding diet, and I was in very good shape. However, the fitness lifestyle is really just not for me. I do keep telling myself I'll at least get back into a pushup / pullup routine, and then I'll successfully stick with it for a while, then fall off again.
Those are great functional ways of staying in shape. A push and pullup routine is great. I'm like you on that one. On and off, mostly off these days!

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I've been litter picking again today with the Don Catchment Rivers Trust, been handling some big bags of rubbish!
Dad and I are making a sword training dummy at my parents' house to give me a good workout while Dad's not fit enough for sword fighting.
Going swimming again tomorrow!
That's amazing! Sword fighting to stay fit!

dquisenberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2016
dallas tx
I finally realized you can’t out exercise your fork about 3 years ago. Lost 35 lbs and have kept it off. I go to the gym now but it’s because I want to stay fit, not to keep a trim waistline. Feel better at 59 then I did at 39 living a healthy lifestyle.7770F73D-A974-40BB-A155-DA7119BE5458.jpeg

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I used to be sort of pencil shaped. I played soccer for fun and did some rowing and swimming, but age, workload and a growing number of kids has taken all that away.
I lift my tired body up in a bar now and then, do some pushups or lift a kettle bell hoping to avoid the dreaded pear shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.