PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I know many of us have rippling biceps from lifting these heavy pipes to our faces, but that doesn't seem to do much for the ol' waistline. At least not mine.?

Because of my work I sit at a drawing table or a computer (author-illustrator) most days. Before 2001 I wasn't established enough as an artist to pay the bills so I worked many jobs, from different types of construction, building and metal work, as well as other skilled jobs. Most of those types of work kept me fit and active.

These days I have to make it a point to exercise though. I walk a few times a day maybe 3-5 miles, I enjoy bicycling and outdoor activities, like to fish even though it's been a while. We also have a large vegetable garden I work in regularly, aswell as flowers around the yard I tend to. Love mowing the lawn and being outdoors whenever possible. I enjoy woodworking and have a shop I fool around in on occasion. Just making the effort to stay reasonably fit, as I sure many of you.

Just because we enjoy smoking doesn't mean we don't take care of ourselves.

So, what do you enjoy doing to stay fit, healthy and active?

Last edited:

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Gyms aren’t the best place to be right now, but fortunately I have equipment at the house.
I agree with that, no matter how well members or employees wipe the equipment, gyms can be a grem fest. I used to enjoy going to the gym myself. Thankfully you still have an outlet!

• Love
Reactions: STP and JOHN72

JoeKemp

Lurker
Jan 17, 2020
Brooklyn, NY
I have a Peloton bike in the home office and use it in the mornings before I go to work. On the weekends I am up at the house and do alot of wood chopping and landscape work. But I do miss my gym, it was in my building so it was really convenient.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
Walking/kayaking/hiking....simple weight training....limiting sugar and carbs.

I played sports through college, boxed and played rugby amateur/intramural through my early-mid 30's. When I stopped, and especially as I hit 40 last year, I found that steady cardio/modest weight training to be pretty important. For me watching carbs and sugars is actually a huge help....but everyones body is different (some have wild success reducing carbs, other meh result.).

Before we were locked down, I was going to the YMCA twice a day, in the mornings to have coffee and hang out after doing my cardio, and then in the evenings for weight training and swimming laps. Us old people get the Silver discount, and it is a great way to stay social. My wife liked the social part, I mostly drank coffee and read the paper.

Now, I just jog a couple of miles in the morning or ride my bike for about 6 miles. We have a rails-to-trails just down the road that makes it a nice ride. My eyes pop open at 4:30 every morning, no matter what time I went to bed or time of year.

Also, my fitbit tells me that I get the most cardio from mowing my yard, so sometimes I will mow it a couple of times a week, just to get some diversity to my workouts.

We also eat what we grow, and try to watch our sugary sweets, like cobblers, and pies... but watching isn't as much fun as eating them. puffy

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I'm not anywhere close to being "fit" by most standards. I lift weights in my basement and walk my dog for a mile or two every day, try to do a few hill sprints till I gasp for air every week. I am currently losing weight though, less than a year to 40 and I would like to be under 300lbs by then. Currently at about 315-320lbs, at somewhere around 6' tall (was almost 6'2" as a teen before back injuries). Resting heart rate is 53 bpm, my phone says that makes me an athlete.

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
I am finishing my masters currently and spend most of my time at a desk. I lift weights several times a week and this helps to stay fit. However, the area I try and stay most disciplined in is my diet.
Awesome man! My diet is decent but can use some improvement. Way to stay disciplined, especially when you're stuck at a desk. Easy to snack.

I used to run 4 miles every other day, and lift weights on the days I wasn’t running. Then my knees started bitching me out every time I ran more than a quarter mile. So I’m in the middle of some unwanted weight gain right now. I need to figure out something to do that’s a little easier on the joints I guess.
I broke my hip, which led to me looking for exercise with less impact on it as well. This is why I use my bike more now. But, I will sometimes feel good enough to give jogging a try (more cardio per minute of exercise), but then when my hip starts feeling it, I go back to the bike.

My motivation is my gut. When my gut starts to block the view of my junk, I panic and start working out more. puffy

J.GANDY

Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Walking/kayaking/hiking....simple weight training....limiting sugar and carbs.

I played sports through college, boxed and played rugby amateur/intramural through my early-mid 30's. When I stopped, and especially as I hit 40 last year, I found that steady cardio/modest weight training to be pretty important. For me watching carbs and sugars is actually a huge help....but everyones body is different (some have wild success reducing carbs, other meh result.).
Cardio is definitely a constant need for everyone. I agree with the sugar and carbs also. But they sure taste good!

Status
Not open for further replies.