PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
My dad hates smoking, he grew up in a haze of smoke, My mum likes the smell, always asking what I've got today, and she enables by buying me cigars, pipes and tobacco.
Most people are a bit amazed that anyone still smokes a pipe at all, let alone a 29yr old. Get lots of questions about it, none are judgemental, mostly curious.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
Who cares?
My dad hates smoking, he grew up in a haze of smoke, My mum likes the smell, always asking what I've got today, and she enables by buying me cigars, pipes and tobacco.
Most people are a bit amazed that anyone still smokes a pipe at all, let alone a 29yr old. Get lots of questions about it, none are judgemental, mostly curious.
It's fantastic to have a mother like that. ?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I was at a Celtic party over the weekend, ages from 20's top 60's. I ended up talking to 3 the 20 year old girls because they said my pipe reminded them of their Grandpa...and I was OK with that. lol

Act like you belong there and you wont stand out.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You make a good point but I was actually kidding- most on this forum seem to have some level of PAD/TAD which can make pipe smoking a pretty expensive endeavor
My favorite cigarettes are $85/carton, but my favorite pipe tobacco is $32/pound. I go through a pound of tobacco/month so definitely cheaper.

Reactions: OzPiper and JOHN72

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
My favorite cigarettes are $85/carton, but my favorite pipe tobacco is $32/pound. I go through a pound of tobacco/month so definitely cheaper.
That’s why I say you make a good point.
However, if (for arguments sake) you were just starting out and tried to purchase all of the pipes you currently own and all of the pipes you have ever owned (especially considering you prefer to give away or throw away pipes rather than reselling) and you wanted to amass the cellar that you have (for variety and protection against the tobacco apocalypse) it would require a substantial financial commitment that would easily rival if not exceed $85 every week, 2 weeks or month.

My only point is that pipe smoking can result in a significant savings over cigarette smoking but that that savings is often offset by the smoker’ PAD/TAD purchases.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That’s why I say you make a good point.
However, if (for arguments sake) you were just starting out and tried to purchase all of the pipes you currently own and all of the pipes you have ever owned (especially considering you prefer to give away or throw away pipes rather than reselling) and you wanted to amass the cellar that you have (for variety and protection against the tobacco apocalypse) it would require a substantial financial commitment that would easily rival if not exceed $85 every week, 2 weeks or month.

My only point is that pipe smoking can result in a significant savings over cigarette smoking but that that savings is often offset by the smoker’ PAD/TAD purchases.
I'll give you that, but for the first 20 years I owned four pipes, three Grabows and a gifted Big Ben and mainly smoked two B&M bulk blends. I didn't even know anything about online sales until 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.