PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Capitalized important words. Please see Rule 9.

How do others view your pipe smoking?

-Family and friends...
-Stangers...

Etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
There's a place where I smoke, a restaurant that belongs to a golf club. There's only foreinger nordic, too EEUU, and spanish, golf players who love cigars and pipe tobacco. You can smoke on a large terrace with views of the golf course. It's the only place where I can smoke quiet and with a good atmosphere. He 's next to a big Hotel 5 stars......Also the marine port but in winter when there is no tourism. And usualIy ar home..........In my city, no one walks with a pipe in the street. They're used to watching it alone on tv, cinema, movies.......There's some young people who are trying on pipe tobacco, because of the infotmation we have on the internet............Hopefully this tradition grow in the new generatios

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife and sister buy me gift pipes, some really nice ones, and blends that nearly always turn out well. I don't think most of my friends know I smoke a pipe, since I don't carry a pipe about or light up in public much. Some wouldn't like that. My late wife had a serious cigarette habit which, after several tries, she managed to quit, so I stopped pipe smoking in solidarity, very proud of her effort. I was smoking a pipe once a day, and she was going through three packs. My second wife used to smoke Camels and Galtois (sp?) but quit long before we got together. My dad smoked a pipe and cigars from age 15 to 65 and quit cold turkey when he took a job on a non-smoking campus. My mom bought a pack of nails now and then to flourish in conversation but never really had a habit, no nicotine receptors at all -- I think I inherited some of that. I have one pipe-smoking friend, and we compare notes, but he is in Queens, NYC.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
There's a place where I smoke, a restaurant that belongs to a golf club. There's only foreinger nordic, too EEUU, and spanish, golf players who love cigars and pipe tobacco. You can smoke on a large terrace with views of the golf course. It's the only place where I can smoke quiet and with a good atmosphere. He 's next to a big Hotel 5 stars......Also the marine port but in winter when there is no tourism. And usualIy ar home..........In my city, no one walks with a pipe in the street. They're used to watching it alone on tv, cinema, movies.......There's some young people who are trying on pipe tobacco, because of the infotmation we have on the internet............Hopefully this tradition grow in the new generatios
'97 in Paris. I was smoking in the restaurants I went to. By that time, smoking was already banned in restaurants here. It felt good. Good food, good wine, after meal cigarette.. To bad their beer suck.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the 70's, smoking was permitted in restaurants in France, but the protocol was strict. My late wife, before I met her, was having a meal in Paris, and when she lit up a cigarette between courses, the waiter ended the meal right there. He may have just been a screwball, but I think he was observing some pride in the food, that you mustn't smoke until after the meal is over. Needless to say, she didn't go back.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
I've only ever gotten compliments/inquisitive questions when out in public. I'm in an area where tobacco use in general doesn't automatically make one a social pariah like in large progressive cities, though.

I think most people, if they don't approve will keep moving. But I heartily believe that most people at least tolerate if not outright adore the smell of pipe smoke... far more than cigarettes or cigars for sure. Many it reminds of a father/grandfather as smell is our strongest sense tied to memory.

One time at an outdoor sporting game my father's friend was smoking a cigar while in line. The woman in front of him turned around and said "Your cigar is offensive to me!" He paused, looked her up and down, then replied "Your weight is offensive to me!" She turned around and didn't say anything else... ?

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I smoke my pipe in public. I try to be mindful of where I do smoke, but if it is allowed, I won't put it out just to accommodate and make happy a nonsmoker. That said, bellowing about not giving a damn what other people think or parading antisocial views and behaviors serves no one, especially the one dishing out those views. Mindfulness of one's surroundings and a general respect for the concerns of those one has placed themselves is not only appropriate, but admirable. I am always curious why so many people pride themselves on being unconcerned or dismissive of the people they are surrounded. Being a hermit is fine, but it has consequences - and I have yet to run across a hermit that that is attractive to be around, let alone one who smells good. But YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.