High-End Pipes - Do They Improve the Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Yeah, the "smoking experience" is a broad thing, so the answer is a qualified "yes". Better pipes have better stems, and in some cases (but not all) better mechanics/engineering inside and better wood. There's a reason people line up for good pipes, and it's because they are, generally, more pleasant to smoke. Less gurgle, fewer weird flavors, and as noted, a more comfortable bit, sometimes by a wide margin. Smoking technique is still important, and a good pipe given to a rank beginner will probably not help them much. But someone familiar with pipes will see an improved overall experience, is my experience. One of the reasons I got into pipe making is that I had certain pipes that looked great and smoked terribly, and other pipes that smoked fantastic, and I wanted to understand why, or how that could be - they are pretty simple after all. And I think most of the people making pipes in any serious sort of capacity these days really do "get it" in terms of how to build them.
Yes, that’s it. I have sub- $100 pipes that smoke as well as my $300 Ardor or my Dunhill. But... those pipes are pretty nice just to look at without even smoking them!

64alex

May 10, 2016
[ I find that after the $100 price point, the smoking qualities sort of plateau and you get more refined looks.]

Probably correct for briar. For morta and meer, which are more expensive materials, I would move the price point to 200-250$ for brand new unless you can find some closout deals.

Reactions: Casual

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
I find that after the $100 price point, the smoking qualities sort of plateau and you get more refined looks. My old GBD's that I paid $20-$40 for smoke as well as my Radices and Tinskys.

This brings me to a somewhat sad realization. I bought a Peterson Sherlock some time ago and upon receiving it, felt it looked too nice to be smoked.. so it sits in a box while my $30-$60 pipes get daily use lol.

I think I'll save the Peterson Sherlock for some grand event worth celebrating.. it seems deserving of that.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I can wait :)

I doubt it'll be a bad smoker since it's a Peterson. But I have backup pipes if it ends up bad!
I've had nothing but positive experiences with Peterson, but man their critics are rough! I have a few pipes I keep just to look at. My wife got me an unsmoked Preben Holm Hallmark that I get out from time to time just to admire.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
In the end, a pipe is a piece of wood and plastic, in which a little bit of the maker’s heart and soul are sometimes captured. As long as the stuffy baccy and sucky wucky holes are both drilled right and the holdy end doesn’t get too hot and the bitey end is comfy in the pearlie-wearlies, it’s gonna smoke pretty much okay, regardless of whether it’s a $20 pipe or the $18,765 Exhibit A in divorce court.

The chief difference between the two is, I think, all in the I Feel So Pretty effect. You’re holding something that makes you feel like a million bucks and that gives you a little dopamine jumpstart, of course it’s gonna feel like it smokes better...until the novelty wears off, you get bored with it, and then realize it’s basically a fancy Dr. Grabow that costs more than an used Hyundai Prolapse, Ford Stercus, or Kia Shart.

I’m perfectly content with $150-$200 factory pipes and don’t begrudge the tastes of high-end pipe collectors. Some people collect glass eyeballs, some people collect baseball cards, some people collect expensive old paintings of delightfully zaftig ladies in the altogether, and some people collect high end pipes. It’s a beautiful world with room for all tastes!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In the end, a pipe is a piece of wood and plastic, in which a little bit of the maker’s heart and soul are sometimes captured. As long as the stuffy baccy and sucky wucky holes are both drilled right and the holdy end doesn’t get too hot and the bitey end is comfy in the pearlie-wearlies, it’s gonna smoke pretty much okay, regardless of whether it’s a $20 pipe or the $18,765 Exhibit A in divorce court.

The chief difference between the two is, I think, all in the I Feel So Pretty effect. You’re holding something that makes you feel like a million bucks and that gives you a little dopamine jumpstart, of course it’s gonna feel like it smokes better...until the novelty wears off, you get bored with it, and then realize it’s basically a fancy Dr. Grabow that costs more than an used Hyundai Prolapse, Ford Stercus, or Kia Shart.

I’m perfectly content with $150-$200 factory pipes and don’t begrudge the tastes of high-end pipe collectors. Some people collect glass eyeballs, some people collect baseball cards, some people collect expensive old paintings of delightfully zaftig ladies in the altogether, and some people collect high end pipes. It’s a beautiful world with room for all tastes!
Don't forget the crazies that collect crystal and mineral skulls.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
This similar dichotomy comes up a lot in car forums, i.e., is a 100K Corvette as good as a 500K Ferrari. Both have similar horsepower, torque, 0-60, performance, etc., but one is 5Xs as much. The person owning the Corvette might think so, but the owner of the Ferrari might not... A lot of it is mental. I agree w/the above in that a Savinelli is hard to beat. Any improvement would be negligible... and mostly mental, which you’d have to be to spend 500K on a car ;)

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Tennessee Dave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Dayton, Tennessee USA
This brings me to a somewhat sad realization. I bought a Peterson Sherlock some time ago and upon receiving it, felt it looked too nice to be smoked.. so it sits in a box while my $30-$60 pipes get daily use lol.

I think I'll save the Peterson Sherlock for some grand event worth celebrating.. it seems deserving of that.

Grand event, huh? Given that none of us are promised tomorrow I'd say most any day is a grand event. You know Tuesday night ( or Monday, Wed. Thurs. ....etc) might be just the right time to fire that baby up. Life is short. Get all of it can brother! Enjoy that pipe.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a few of both, high and low end pipes, and to me the biggest difference is in the fine tuning. The lower the price of the pipe the "sloppier" the care in the fit and finish. Gaps between the stem and bit, coating spilled into the bowl, shapes slightly out of round etc. are visual differences but the big one for me it the drilling of the bowl and the draft hole. Higher end seem to, but not always, have a bit higher quality control and smaller tolerances for mistakes. When buying a Peterson, Ratray, Sav etc. I tend to go through the pipe extensively to make sure things are perfect where with a higher end hand made the artist is already (least they should be) making sure things are perfect.

Reactions: Tennessee Dave
Jan 5, 2020

This happened with a Posella that I bought years ago when I worked at Park Lane Tobacconist. Even with the discount, it was well over the $400 mark in 2013 and it just sat in its box unsmoked until I sold it in 2016. Most of my pipes are in the 100-200 range and smoke great, so I don't think I'm missing out.

Reactions: eugenepark

rajangan

Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
For morta and meer, which are more expensive materials, I would move the price point to 200-250$ for brand new unless you can find some closout deals.
In Eskisehir, in person, it is easy to buy a quality, decent sized meerschaum at €40-€55, directly from the artist. Anything above that is artistry. The reason we pay $250 is because of the sheer number of middle men, in and out of country, each with their own markup, not the cost of material.

Reactions: marconi and jpmcwjr

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
As a bassist, I can follow the musical instrument analogy. For me, a cheap instrument does not sound or feel good under the hands. My hands are the ones that really pick up on the difference. After playing for over 30 years, I can feel the higher-end instrument play like butter in my fretting hand (obviously it's a setup issue but I've found the higher end instruments take to a much lower action than cheap basses). Maybe it's like this for pipe smokers too? It just feels differently in the hand and mouth and draws just a little differently???

As a musician, you get it. If you spot a pipe you like that's more expensive, buy it for the joy of it being your own little work of art. People who buy high end pipes tend to buy them for only one reason - they like them. They like the aesthetics, they like the unique designs, they like the hand craftsmanship. I like the flawless wood. I can't stand filler in a pipe. 99% don't care at all about. I know it's my issue but I love looking at my pipes so I don't buy any with filler. I agree with all the comments about the engineering and attention to detail. But remember, Savinelli, Ropp, Peterson, Stanwell, Vauen, etc. didn't make their reputation by producing crappy smoking pipes. Like a handmade bass, once the money is spent, it's just yours to enjoy. Pipes are no different than anything else really. Will a Lamborghini drive 5X better than a 2020 Corvette? 10X better than a Supra? Probably not (and really, how often will you get to enjoy the difference? Speed limit around town is 30 mph anyways). Sure, the Lambo is 10X more likely to make a hot girl take her top off but there hasn't been a high end pipe than has that effect on any woman, ever. So just buy what you like.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[ In Eskisehir, in person, it is easy to buy a quality, decent sized meerschaum at €40-€55, directly from the artist. Anything above that is artistry. The reason we pay $250 is because of the sheer number of middle men, in and out of country, each with their own markup, not the cost of material. ]

Absolutely correct as for everything else where middle man take most of the final price. Problem is that you have to go to Eskisehir which is not exactly around the corner if you are in the USA and at the end it is cheaper paying the middle men than traveling there. Talking about USA it is unfortunately likely that 40-60 € which in Eskishehir buy a direct piece from the artist, here it can give a piece of crap.

Reactions: rajangan

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I endorse everything you say. I've been a pipe smoker since 1972 and tried almost every popular brand and they have been a hit-and- miss affair. While this may be heresy, I've found that my falcons are the most consistently good smokers. My theory is that the good quality but small briar ebauchons are available to falcon. Any thoughts?
my falcon isn't my best smoker, though it's the best smoker for the price. They're a great pipe. A pipe that smokes great, the gimmick actually works, they look kinda cool though also kinda lame, and it's a pipe that if you drop into a deep lake you won't have to cry about it and apologize to your bank account.

Reactions: edger and paulfg