High-End Pipes - Do They Improve the Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I suppose that would depend on what you consider a good or great smoking experience. The feel and appearence are a part of it for me. So, yes a more expensive pipe with great wood, a bit of metal maybe, proper heft, eye appeal, fit in the fist and jaw, etc. all contribute to improving a bowl when I'm in a position to leisurely enjoy it. As I've said in the past, the pipe is a very personal experience. It's very similar to a musical instrument for me. Both must be right in ways I'd have trouble putting into words.

I can get an acceptable smoke from most any pipe and do so many times a day. An excellent bowl requires a bit more and everything, pipe, timing, surroundings, blend, etc. can take a bowl to the next level. So, pretty much anything in the rack for my daily bowls and a bit more discernment for the evening smokes, usually meers when home.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’m just as happy with my $20 Brushed Stanwell’s, my no-name .99 pipe and my free St. Regis pipes as I am with my Gamboni (that’s as high end as I get). I understand why people buy the more expensive high end pipes but I’m more interested in tobacco than I am pipes so personally, if I were you, I would spend that money on tobacco for the cellar. If a pipe smokes well, I could give a damn what it looks like. I do drool when looking at a lot of the beautiful pipes posted in the WAYS thread though.

Mar 1, 2014

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
sablebrush said:

This reminds me of a conversation I had some years ago with a collector of ultra high grade Danish pipes, Nordh, Ivarsson, Chonowitsch, etc. These are pipes that sell for between $3,000 and $18,000. I asked him if a $10,000 pipe smoked noticeably better than any others and his response was, "They smoke about as well as my Grabows".

When you say high end pipe, what does that mean in terms of a cash outlay? You you mean $100, or $1,000, or maybe $10,000, like you pay for a Joura King or some obscenely overpriced Dunhill? Or are you talking about maybe $400 to $600 for a mid price range artisan made pipe by a respected maker? Or $100+ for a decently made factory pipe?

As has been said above, the "smoking experience" is a very subjective phrase. And as has also been said above, spending more enables you to buy a better made product, more care taken with materials and assembly, possibly a thinner, and hopefully, more comfortable bit. For a lot of smokers, the "bite zone" significantly impacts their enjoyment of their pipes.

But if you are only speaking about basic mechanics, a $10,000 high grade isn't going to smoke 100 times better than a $100 pipe.

On the other hand, if you're really into status symbols, smoking a $10,000 pipe might give you a woodie that a MM cob doesn't. Pleasure is very subjective.

If you want to potentially get the most bang for the buck, check out estate pipes. They offer a significant reduction in price and access to some of the best pipes made.

Please keep this in mind. Pipe smoking is 75% technique and 25% equipment. If you haven't worked out the basics of this not terribly difficult pastime, a high end pipe isn't going to do much for you.

Last thought. In today's environment, I'd be focused on buying more of my favorite blends to cellar, over buying an expensive pipe.
________

For a long time I thought that pipes that cost more were that much better. When I found out they weren't, I was disillusioned. Yet two mos. before I quit I bought an expensive pipe. Desire.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
How many people here buy a Toyota Corolla and drive it 300K to 500K miles till it totally quits? Those are very nice cars that provide a very reliable ride with great gas mileage. However, many if not most drive something nicer/bigger and more luxurious than a Corolla. And don't drive it till it drops. And even take 6 and 7 year payment plans and get upside down on it. How does that make any sense whatsoever?

Few people are totally pragmatic enough to purchase based solely on practicality. If someone were to spend double to triple the cost of a basic automobile, why is it difficult to imagine they'd spend a few hundred to a thousand dollars more for a pipe? And look at it this way. Let's say you buy 10 pipes @ $400 each vs 10 at $100 each. That's $3,000 additional spent for minimal added functionality. Sounds like a lot, right? But over 5 years, that's $600 per year. Over 10 years, it's $300 per year or $25 per month. Over 20 years, it's $150 per year. In my mind, spending $500 on a pipe isn't impractical when you look at it in that light. Frankly, what's impractical is buying 50, 100, 200 or more pipes regardless of what you pay for them. The fact is, most things we purchase are not done for practical reasons.

How can any sane person argue the practicality of purchasing a device that is practically guaranteed to shorten your life somewhat? We buy expensive pipes for the same reason a dog licks it's own balls ... because he can. @BROBS , now don't go trying that, you'll just end up having to go to the chiropractor.
I think I agree with some of this.

I've often told younger friends to not get caught up in the glitz and glamour of "name brands" when they can buy less expensive that will get the job done. You don't need to buy a Mercedes to drive to the grocery store when you can spend way less for a Nissan or Hyundai, for example.

I know, some will argue that a Mercedes is better engineered and built, but if you properly care for a vehicle it can last just as long or longer.

Now, let's look at the statement about amortizing the cost of a pipe. It's confusing. Let's say you buy a new pipe for $500 and keep it for 10 years. Spread the $500 over 10 years and the cost of the pipe is $50 per year. However, if you do the same thing for a decent $100 pipe spread over 10 years, that's $10 per year. That's a whopping $40 a year you can spend on pipe tobacco.

I believe that the driving force for buying high end anything is for the prestige of owning something that cost more than someone else would spend or because you have so much money you can spend it frivolously.

Jun 23, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So, I've got some spending money that's burning a hole in my pocket. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a high-end pipe. But I don't want to own it just cause it's hand-made, has nice grain, etc... I'm not a collector. I'm only interested in it if it smokes noticeably better than my MM corn cob or my unfinished Savinelli. Talk me off the cliff or convince me to pull the trigger...

Depends on how you define "high-end" I suppose.

I think up until $400/$500 there are fairly noticeable incremental improvements ($50 and below/ ~$120 / $275+): stem comfort being the most important personally. After that when you're in the $$$$ range, it gets a little bit silly with "name brand value" - your Eltangs, S Bangs, LE Dunhill probably aren't "worth" the $2000+ sticker prices. But that's all personal.

But if we're talking "the [entire] smoking experience" then I would say a $500 commission piece is 10x the smoking experience of a $150-$200 factory pipe. (Personal opinion, but I'll fight you to defend it! Haha)

Will your technique be better? Probably not. Will it keep the tobacco lit for the entire smoke? Probably no either. Will the tobacco taste better? Definitely no!

But I enjoy searching for unique pipemakers (both American and otherwise), I enjoy talking pipes so the commission procession is an extended period of joy for me. Then I get to practice my patience as I wait for it, sometimes a commission only takes a few weeks, other times it'll be months!

But to see something develop from an idea on a page to a reality in your hands is worth the premium in my opinion.

Here's two pipes Jeremiah in Melbourne is working on for me. He was supposed to be at the Pipe Show this year but we know how that went. I started a back-and-forth with Jeremiah to lament the cancelling of the show, then we started to discuss his signature "Gumnut" anse shape and that organically evolved into these two commissions.

1) Smooth "Gumnut" Eskimo

gUCPON9l.jpg

2) Sandblast Long Shank "Gumnut"

PbkfW3Zl.jpg

They should be almost done, now I just have to tolerate the shipping from Australia ?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Couldn't tell ya. My cheap pipes smoke nice enough for me, that I've never felt the need for anything..."better"

That's kind of where I'm at with my $100-ish factory pipe collection, bolstered by some inexpensively purchased estates. I've got enough pipes now that I won't buy any more unless they are an upgrade from what I've got now, which will bring me to the $200-$300 price range (or higher) but I just haven't felt compelled to pull the trigger on a pipe in a while. I always end up dedicating my pipe cash to tobacco.

I believe that the driving force for buying high end anything is for the prestige of owning something that cost more than someone else would spend or because you have so much money you can spend it frivolously.

I had this conversation with my wife recently, and I just don't think this is true at all. I have numerous high end / luxury items that I either use mostly in private, or if in public, not many people would know the difference between a high end version as compared to something more middle of the road.

I was talking with my wife about how next time we buy a house (which will presumably have more space than our current house) we will have some large built-in bookshelves made for her book collection, and we can start turning the collection into a library. She said that as much as she likes the idea, she is worried that a home library is pretentious. My response was "and who would you be making this supposed pretense to? Who would you be trying to impress?" It's something she would very much enjoy, and would be for private use in our home. Lots of people like nice things just for their own enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Here's the issue with that statement. I can't speak for everyone but I suspect many if not most of us smoke our pipes in relative solitude. 99% of the time, I'm the only person that knows whether I am smoking a cob or a Jose Rubio.

I would add that I smoked a bowl of MB Dark Twist Roll Cake last night in an Al Pascia Curvy. I think I paid $95 for it on eBay, kind of an ugly little brute. It delivered a phenomenal smoking experience. You do not have to spend big bucks to enjoy great smoking instruments. I'm enjoying a bowl of Vauen No 14 with some coffee at the moment. Perfectly constructed, beautiful pipe and a stem that feels like it was molded for my mouth. Jack's pipe may be the best bargain in the artisan market right now. Happy I'm able to enjoy both of these fine pipes.

85CBA06C-A1A2-4E5A-9F9D-934A5168C883.jpeg

B22DBB22-3466-4794-827D-5CC84AE3FF9C.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Hey Bro,

I see that getting the sand out hasn't worked at all for you.

Perhaps some reading may help you, both financially and on a personal level: People with disagreeable personalities (selfish, combative, and manipulative) do not have an advantage in pursuing power at work - https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/08/26/2005088117

Best of luck to you. I'll be thinking of you next Thanksgiving!
No, I just think that your value system is horrendous and Jesus weeps for you.
Good day.

Life isn't about money or being better than other people.
Or holding oneself on a high pedestal above others.

Just think deeply for a bit about some of the things you have said are important, and ask yourself if this is a good system of values.

I'm not saying money or luxury are bad things, but the way you value them is obviously flawed and deeply rooted in some type of superiority complex... possibly genetic.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Look at estates. That could satisfy both of your feelings. I just picked up a BC estate and while it wasnt 30 bucks, it wasnt 100 either. Also, I have to say, my most versatile pipe is a 15 dollar grabow I picked up on ebay. It smokes anything I throw at it well. I'd say, look at various pipes in various dollar ranges and pick the one you'd enjoy spending time with. Price doesn't matter.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This has been an insightful thread so far. People approach pipe smoking in myriad ways, with differing wants and different priorities. So the answer to the OP's question, do high end pipes improve the smoking experience, would seem to be an unqualified "sometimes".

I own a couple of halfway decent pipes. Some cost more than a few bucks and some cost less. Among my favorite pipes to smoke is a rather beat up Brebbia Avanti brandy glass that I picked up for $2 on eBay. It smokes as well, or better, than pipes costing 400 times its price.

I've yet to meet a single Dunhill that could hold its fit between tenon and mortise like this pipe does. In all of the years I've owned it, in all kinds of weather and temperature, that velvety snug fit never changes. Its a ugly pipe, but it delivers heaven through its airway. The pipe may be a fluke, but I've since bought other Avanti's and they've all been top performers. The artisan carver who made the Avanti pipes for Brebbia knew what he was doing.

What matters to me most of all with actual smoking is flavor. Any pipe that delivers that gets prettier and dearer. Pedigree doesn't matter to me.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I put it a bit differently: The quality of the smoke coming out the airway will be the same for ca. 90% of decent pipes after break-in.

The quality of the experience is as wide and different as the 10,000 words above.

For me, the overall quality is yes indeed it's better for high end pipes. But I limit my high end so far to good estates and great artisans' makes. Under $400, so far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you bring that aesthetic of appreciation to the pipe smoking experience, high end pipes, new or estate, are probably worth it. For the majority of smokers, who have limited budgets, it is not essential. One tobacco pro said simply he was a tobacco man, and the Stanwells he is given free at work are all he needs.