High-End Pipes - Do They Improve the Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So, I've got some spending money that's burning a hole in my pocket. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a high-end pipe. But I don't want to own it just cause it's hand-made, has nice grain, etc... I'm not a collector. I'm only interested in it if it smokes noticeably better than my MM corn cob or my unfinished Savinelli. Talk me off the cliff or convince me to pull the trigger...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
High end pipes, as a rule, will generally smoke better then less expensive pipes, but that is not always the case. It depends on alot of things, but generally the drilling and quality of the briar used are the two most important things in my opinion. I don't have any high end pipes, so I'm speaking from the viewpoint of things I have read. I do have two Altinok meerschaum pipes that I consider somewhat high end, but to be honest I have a couple of cobs and a briar that I think smoke better. We have some pipe makers on the forum that hopefully will chime in with more expert advice. Take your time and do some good research then make your decision.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah, the "smoking experience" is a broad thing, so the answer is a qualified "yes". Better pipes have better stems, and in some cases (but not all) better mechanics/engineering inside and better wood. There's a reason people line up for good pipes, and it's because they are, generally, more pleasant to smoke. Less gurgle, fewer weird flavors, and as noted, a more comfortable bit, sometimes by a wide margin. Smoking technique is still important, and a good pipe given to a rank beginner will probably not help them much. But someone familiar with pipes will see an improved overall experience, is my experience. One of the reasons I got into pipe making is that I had certain pipes that looked great and smoked terribly, and other pipes that smoked fantastic, and I wanted to understand why, or how that could be - they are pretty simple after all. And I think most of the people making pipes in any serious sort of capacity these days really do "get it" in terms of how to build them.

There may not be HUGE measurable objective differences, but there is definitely a bit of magic at work. For me, when I am smoking one of my Beckers or other artisan pipes, I feel a connection with the pipemaker. There are all of the teeniest tiniest attentions to detail that are put into the pipe, but there's also that pixie dust of magic that comes from owning a piece of art. Something of tangible form that was once held and shaped by a master. I'm not sure if this applies to factory-made high ends or not, but for the artisan pipes, I feel that makes it worth the money alone.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't have any high end pipes. Current pipes that I smoke are all production Peterson between $80 - $300. I don't know how well the custom made pipes smoke. All my pipes smoke well, but even among them some smokes slightly better. What I mean is, they smoke cooler, smokes just little smoother, feels better.. They are all about the same, but some just stands out.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

So, I've got some spending money that's burning a hole in my pocket. I'm very tempted to pull the trigger on a high-end pipe. But I don't want to own it just cause it's hand-made, has nice grain, etc... I'm not a collector. I'm only interested in it if it smokes noticeably better than my MM corn cob or my unfinished Savinelli. Talk me off the cliff or convince me to pull the trigger...

As far as practical smoking quality, IMO Savinelli is probably going to be close to as good as it gets. I can only venture to guess that there might be some small room left for improvement as far as performance goes, but most Savinellis are drilled great, finished pretty well, and deliver a good, problem-free smoke. Any improvement in smoking performance over a good Savinelli would only be incremental.

Once you reach a certain price point, most of the improvement to the pipe is going to be in finishing quality etc. rather than better practical performance.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great smoking pipes come at all price levels, so I wouldn't spend more just for that. The added value is in materials, exquisite craftsmanship, and especially original and high level design, art really. With any pipe, but certainly with higher end pipes, you have to take time packing the pipe, to notice its design, balance, texture, and solidity. Some of this can also be available in less expensive factory pipes or even an MM cob, in terms of industrial design. But do I have a special place on my rack for my Ferndown, my Bob Hayes, and my Ser Jacopo, etc.? Sure.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Yeah, the "smoking experience" is a broad thing, so the answer is a qualified "yes". Better pipes have better stems, and in some cases (but not all) better mechanics/engineering inside and better wood. There's a reason people line up for good pipes, and it's because they are, generally, more pleasant to smoke. Less gurgle, fewer weird flavors, and as noted, a more comfortable bit, sometimes by a wide margin. Smoking technique is still important, and a good pipe given to a rank beginner will probably not help them much. But someone familiar with pipes will see an improved overall experience, is my experience. One of the reasons I got into pipe making is that I had certain pipes that looked great and smoked terribly, and other pipes that smoked fantastic, and I wanted to understand why, or how that could be - they are pretty simple after all. And I think most of the people making pipes in any serious sort of capacity these days really do "get it" in terms of how to build them.

This should be the definitive answer every time this subject comes up.

redrooster1977

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2020
"High end pipes" will improve the "smoking experience " if YOU believe it will. Do they actually smoke that much better? In my opinion.... not much. But it does make a huge difference in the experience if you like the pipe you're smoking, the car you're driving or the shoes you're wearing. So is a high end pipe worth it? I think so....

Mar 11, 2020
Southern Illinois
My high end pipes are 2 nording pipes $45 dollars a pipe. at the end of the day I still keep smoking my Dr Grabow. Habit or laziness i dont know it smokes great to me. I am in the frame of mind that I have to justify the cost of everything I buy and for me my low end and estate pipes suit me just fine. But to each there own and thats why this forum is so great each person is allowed to voice there opinion and not get looked down on for how or what they smoke

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This reminds me of a conversation I had some years ago with a collector of ultra high grade Danish pipes, Nordh, Ivarsson, Chonowitsch, etc. These are pipes that sell for between $3,000 and $18,000. I asked him if a $10,000 pipe smoked noticeably better than any others and his response was, "They smoke about as well as my Grabows".

When you say high end pipe, what does that mean in terms of a cash outlay? You you mean $100, or $1,000, or maybe $10,000, like you pay for a Joura King or some obscenely overpriced Dunhill? Or are you talking about maybe $400 to $600 for a mid price range artisan made pipe by a respected maker? Or $100+ for a decently made factory pipe?

As has been said above, the "smoking experience" is a very subjective phrase. And as has also been said above, spending more enables you to buy a better made product, more care taken with materials and assembly, possibly a thinner, and hopefully, more comfortable bit. For a lot of smokers, the "bite zone" significantly impacts their enjoyment of their pipes.

But if you are only speaking about basic mechanics, a $10,000 high grade isn't going to smoke 100 times better than a $100 pipe.

On the other hand, if you're really into status symbols, smoking a $10,000 pipe might give you a woodie that a MM cob doesn't. Pleasure is very subjective.

If you want to potentially get the most bang for the buck, check out estate pipes. They offer a significant reduction in price and access to some of the best pipes made.

Please keep this in mind. Pipe smoking is 75% technique and 25% equipment. If you haven't worked out the basics of this not terribly difficult pastime, a high end pipe isn't going to do much for you.

Last thought. In today's environment, I'd be focused on buying more of my favorite blends to cellar, over buying an expensive pipe.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
As long as the engineering, the airway drilling being the most influential aspect, are well executed cost related improvements drop of rapidly after around $300.00. This, for a “new” pipe, in estates after $100.00.
If your Savinelle is a well drilled pipe you will notice little actual smoking improvement in pipes costing 10x or 20x as much, any measurable difference will be mostly aesthetic which is enough for many.
My advice is to buy whatever floats your boat but don’t spend more than makes sense for your personal financial situation.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
My grandfather taught me something about high end pipes, though he wasn't a pipe smoker.

Each Thanksgiving, he always had a 3 pound turkey leg on his plate. Before tucking in, he'd bellow with laughter and say "I wonder what the poor people are doing tonight!?"

Having a high end pipe is a lot like that.