High-End Pipes - Do They Improve the Smoking Experience?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SDJ1967

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Central Florida, USA
I think as a general rule, the higher the price, the better the materials and crafting that goes into making the pipe. I would expect a batch of $30 pipes to have more defective pipes produced than the same number of $200 pipes. In my mind, if I spend over $80 for a pipe, I'm looking for a good smoker, crafted well, free of defects, that I find aesthetically pleasing. And to be sure, you can always buy that one high end pipe that was defective, but I would expect that to be a rare occurrence.
This is what goes through my mind anyway. I'm new at this, so I may be in for one heck of shock.:eek:

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Like most are saying: they do noticeably smoke better, sometimes improving the smoking experience substantially. But at a certain point it's just about the pleasure of the thing itself--I own a few of Scottie Piersel's pipes because she lives in my town. It makes me enjoy them a bit more knowing I bought them from a craftsman, rather than off the line.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Cobs have good smoking qualities.with pipes in general,the air flow in makes the difference.I have Grabows with good flow,Castellos with good flow.The up and coming american makers have good if not better flow.Good flow allows the smoker to taste the tobacco more completely.I had an MT Natural Billiard with terrible turbulence issues,and it smoked wet,due to the careless engineering.Go for larger,wide open drillings,and tenons that have the sharp angles rounded,with little gap as possible between the end of the tenon,and the end of the mortise.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Grand event, huh? Given that none of us are promised tomorrow I'd say most any day is a grand event. You know Tuesday night ( or Monday, Wed. Thurs. ....etc) might be just the right time to fire that baby up. Life is short. Get all of it can brother! Enjoy that pipe.
Isn’t that the truth. I don’t know if today is my last day, same as anyone who’s honest. I don’t save anything for that special super-duper day. I enjoy what I have.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
High End to me is Audio gear
That's the interesting thing to me in these threads. If I spend $1k on a pipe, that's insane to some people. And then if I went on a tour of some people's lives and looked at what they spend money on, I would likely find a lot of things that I would never spend my money on, but are just as expensive. And in a lot of cases, they are a lot more expensive.

To me, cars are the big one. I drive old, shitty cars that work and I pay in cash. I could lease the latest Tesla or Porche or whatever and get my rocks off there while forgoing other things I like much, much more than driving, but I have zero interest in zooming around in a shiny new car. I spend my money on different experiences.

A friend of mine with an $80,000 truck asked me about a pipe I was smoking. I gave him the history, a bit about the carver (his eyes were glazing over) and how long I've had it, etc. When he asked the price, I was thinking... 'well, fine. Here we go.'

His eyes popped out of his head. And it wasn't more than $1k. I thought it was in the ballpark of reasonable for something unique and interesting to me.

I looked at his $80,000 truck and kept my mouth shut.

People are interested in different things for different reasons.

To the pipe collector who will spend a thousand bucks on a pipe because they really, really like it, they're vain and tone deaf to the troubles of the less fortunate. But nobody seems to blink when people drop $20k, $50k, $80k or more on a hunk of metal with four wheels that gets them to the same place as my hunk of shit that costs $4k.

Hell, don't get me started on stamp collectors and model train builders.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
My favorite briar is a Sav series III. Cheap but gives the best smoke. I have some Mastro de Pajas from 2 suns down to their lower end offerings. They all smoke good. Its all about what what we are drawn to. I am thankful that there are great pipes at prices that will forward pipe smoking and pipes that we dream of obtaining.

Reactions: 02Knight

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Like most are saying: they do noticeably smoke better, sometimes improving the smoking experience substantially. But at a certain point it's just about the pleasure of the thing itself--I own a few of Scottie Piersel's pipes because she lives in my town. It makes me enjoy them a bit more knowing I bought them from a craftsman, rather than off the line.
I was an early Scottie adopter. She makes an excellent pipe. The only pipe I bought at last year's West Coast Pipe Show was a Piersel. I also steered several people to her table. Girl owes me a commission. We had a mini Piersel club going at our table, with almost everyone smoking their newly bought Piersels.

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
I have several cobs, then I own 4 very nice Estate pipes, then some lower end estate pipes I pick up at sales from now and then. I have 2 nice Savinellis and 2 Sam Learned that I consider higher end pipes. Now as to if they smoke better, I believe they do. One thing for sure they sure as hell look good! My cobs smoke well and i use them for my aromatics, then on my Savs & Sam L pipes I use most other blends I have, such as HH ODF, Pete IF & Nightcap, & Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. Now as for the common estate pipes I have there is one that smokes like a dream and that is my Falcon. So my suggestion would be to search ebay for some better Estate pipes, you can even find Estate Pipes that have never been smoked. I know this because I have some on there and they have never had a wisp of tobacco in them. So to each his own and this is just a humble opinion from a newbie who is trying to grasp just a hint of this pipe smoking world.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
That's the interesting thing to me in these threads. If I spend $1k on a pipe, that's insane to some people. And then if I went on a tour of some people's lives and looked at what they spend money on, I would likely find a lot of things that I would never spend my money on, but are just as expensive. And in a lot of cases, they are a lot more expensive.

To me, cars are the big one. I drive old, shitty cars that work and I pay in cash. I could lease the latest Tesla or Porche or whatever and get my rocks off there while forgoing other things I like much, much more than driving, but I have zero interest in zooming around in a shiny new car. I spend my money on different experiences.

A friend of mine with an $80,000 truck asked me about a pipe I was smoking. I gave him the history, a bit about the carver (his eyes were glazing over) and how long I've had it, etc. When he asked the price, I was thinking... 'well, fine. Here we go.'

His eyes popped out of his head. And it wasn't more than $1k. I thought it was in the ballpark of reasonable for something unique and interesting to me.

I looked at his $80,000 truck and kept my mouth shut.

People are interested in different things for different reasons.

To the pipe collector who will spend a thousand bucks on a pipe because they really, really like it, they're vain and tone deaf to the troubles of the less fortunate. But nobody seems to blink when people drop $20k, $50k, $80k or more on a hunk of metal with four wheels that gets them to the same place as my hunk of shit that costs $4k.

Hell, don't get me started on stamp collectors and model train builders.

This. Most everybody has their "thing" where they spend excessive money. For many, it is vehicles which are the worst investment on the planet. And whatever your thing is, is not likely to be justified logically. Which is okay. For many, their thing is part of their motivation to work a little harder so they can enjoy a bit of luxury. No need to justify it or attempt to rationalize it. It is what the is, just enjoy it as long as the expenditures don't put you and your family at risk financially.

On this subject, I'm sitting here enjoying a bowl of Wessex Gold Virginia Flake in my latest acquisition from Jack Howell. This was a commission built to my general requirements with Jack putting his flair into it. Given Jack's very reasonable pricing, this isn't ultra high end for sure but what a marvelous carve that smokes fabulous.

6F994AEF-F4BC-45ED-B5E3-11C6F1AED24D.jpeg

59CEA745-0F45-4D29-B1C8-AB94F39DBF68.jpeg

heathandleaf

Might Stick Around
Aug 29, 2020
Tennessee
I was an early Scottie adopter. She makes an excellent pipe. The only pipe I bought at last year's West Coast Pipe Show was a Piersel. I also steered several people to her table. Girl owes me a commission. We had a mini Piersel club going at our table, with almost everyone smoking their newly bought Piersels.
I recently acquired a Piersel. I LOVE it. And I'm not one for a long pipe, but it is so light, I don't even notice.

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
my latest acquisition from Jack Howell
That is a nice looking pipe. And maybe the best value, for spending on a pipe, whatever the cost.

If you have a say in how it is made (and know your preferences well), that seems tough to beat if you're getting it from a carver who can execute that plan.

But, like Hoosier says, it's crazy to buy any pipe at any cost if your finances are not in order. If I had debt, I would not consider a pipe.

I know some people who carry thousands in credit card debt or lines of credit, etc., yet still buy "stuff".

I'm not sure they're very good at math.

If the average credit card interest is what, 20% or something?, then you would need to tack that on to every purchase you make to get the real cost. And probably plus some on top of that.

It's nuts. And a lot of people seem to do it.

I would pay off the bills first, then buy the best pipe that attracts me, whether that's $50 or $1,000, but only if that was money I would not be missing.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
"Unadopted" has it nailed!

I know people financially illiterate enough to buy food with a credit card which they do not pay in full monthly. I never pay interest on a credit card, too expensive. Debit cards and cash are the proper way to purchase most items. Credit purchasing is for "high ticket" items only. A house, maybe a car, never a vacation or those items which disappear with use such as, tobacco, food, etc. simply a waste of money. Paying the minimum on a credit card means you are paying for food you ate and voided months ago. And, paying for the use of that money. Insane!

02Knight

Can't Leave
Aug 24, 2020
Rockett, Texas. South of DFW Metroplex
The age-old forum question. Did we clarify what is the OP's "high end"? To some it is $200, others $2,000.
There you go, That is a point well taken, some peoples High End is different than others. High end to me is in the $2-$500 range. Although I do own some $800 to $1,000 pipes they are pipes I got from an Estate Auction and I am reselling them. Now if they don't sell then I guess I will really own some HIGH END pipes, way above my High End anyway. Thanks for that statement @ssjones

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There you go, That is a point well taken, some peoples High End is different than others. High end to me is in the $2-$500 range. Although I do own some $800 to $1,000 pipes they are pipes I got from an Estate Auction and I am reselling them. Now if they don't sell then I guess I will really own some HIGH END pipes, way above my High End anyway. Thanks for that statement @ssjones
Though I do own a few four figure pipes, I would consider a nicely made artisan piece more high end regardless of price versus a thousand dollar factor make.

20191016_013645.jpg