PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerjr

Lurker
Dec 14, 2011
I am new to this forum (only joined last night). I stopped smoking a pipe at 18 and just started back up again 5 years ago (I figured at 55 it wouldn't kill me :). I currently smoke Capt. Black, but I would like advice on a mild, smooth, pipe tobacco. I mainly only smoke on weekends and occasionally during the week in the evenings. I am retired now, but am a stock day trader. I find smoking a pipe relaxing (better than liquer). Hope someone can give me some direction.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Welcome ChandlerJr ... don't think you could have found a better place to ask about pipe and tobacco and everything inbetween.
Paul I find myself saying "Duh" ... I've been reading the forums and making posts with questions about tobacco and there is a list of lengthy reviews you mentioned right there that I had been ignoring somehow.
If anyone knows, I'd be curious to find out how the specific blends to review are chosen, or is it just a run through of all the popular stuff?

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Welcome to the forum. I started with Capt. Black also. I would recommend Lanes 1Q. Many tobacco shops sell it in bulk under other names it is similar to Capt. B. A step up from there i would say Mac Baren 7seas royal. Their vanilla cream is very nice also and a bit lighter flavor wise.
Do you enjoy Capt. Black? Do you have any pipe shops where you live?

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I recently tried Mac Baren Danish Mixture, and was stunned just how flavorful a mild blend could be. A truly wonderful blend.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome to the group.

By "mild" do you mean low in nicotine, or with a low-key flavor? There is a difference. A lot of codger burleys have a simple, smooth, smoke 'em all day flavor, but can be high in nic. :puffy:

atuukson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 14, 2011
Sweden
when christmas is around the corner i would recommend mcClelland's christmas cheer sweet tasting virginia, mild and low on vitamin N! :puffy:

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
mild, smooth, pipe tobacco

I just popped a tin of C&D Kajun Kake this morning, just now smoking my 2nd bowl of the stuff.
Mild - yep

Smooth - oh yes

Flavorful... very much so!
I just commented as much in the "What Are You Smoking" thread before seeing this one.

Just a hint of Perique, this is a mildly sweet smoke. Certainly worth considering chandlerjr.

chandlerjr

Lurker
Dec 14, 2011
Thanks to all for your comments. I didn't think you guys would take a "new-be" under your wing with so many suggestions. I do have a pipe and pipe tobacco shop in my town, but it is a small one with not much of a selection. I am 100 mile from St. Louis and I heard they have a bunch of shops. I will make a list of your suggetions and see what I can find.
By mild, I mean, not an over powering flavor or bite. By smooth, I mean, smokes cool and is nice on the tongue--you can smoke two or three bowls. I have stuck with Capt. Black Royal because that was what the guy who taught me about pipes started me on.
Last winter, I ran into a guy smoking a pipe on a bench outside a mall. He let me sample a Danish blend, but I could not have smoked more than one bowl. He told me it was robust--he wasn't kidding. Made me wonder if all Danish blends were this harsh?
I really made my wife and daughter upset when I picked up the pipe again after 42 years, but, hey, I am 60 now--what the heck could it do to my health especially when I don't smoke too much and with the smoke Nazi in charge in Illinois.
Thanks again!

Chandlerjr

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
Try Sterling/1776 Old Dominion - smooth and delicous. For a real cool smoke give Sterling's Double Eagle a try.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
made my wife and daughter upset when I picked up the pipe again after 42 years, but, hey, I am 60 now--

While a fella needs to keep peace around the house he also needs to take of himself.

Here's to you finding that balance as well as some new blends that satisfy!

chandlerjr

Lurker
Dec 14, 2011
Clanobucklin,

I heard of Sterling/1776 Old Dominion a couple of weeks ago from an old (must have been 80 years old) pipe smoker. He told me that's all he smokes now. Must be good. Funny story: he told me to remember "don't inhale" just savor the flavor and puff it out. LOL!!!
OTD: yes, it was quite the battle. My wife and daughter now let me smoke one bowel in the house when they want to had a little "flavor" in the wind when company is coming over. The rest of the time--I smoke outside in the garage. I sit on the tail gate of my truck and watch the cars go by. I live on a street leading to the local hospital so a lot of police cars go by. Believe or not, I have made a lot of cop friends by them seeing me smoking my pipe and they stop for a cigarret and a cup of coffee. Nice social experience!

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I have made a lot of cop friends by them seeing me smoking my pipe and they stop for a cigarret and a cup of coffee.

And I'm sure they appreciate that. If I were in same position as you, I'd be doing the same thing. Good on ya!
I second the Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal, Lane 1-Q, and Villiger 1888 Mid Day.
BTW, welcome to the forums! Be sure to check out THE RULES, how to POST PICTURES of your collection (no matter how big or small. We LOVE pics!) and also how to UPLOAD AN AVATAR.
-Jason
P.S.- I hope you don't mind but I've gone through and changed all of your "bowel" to "bowl" Every time I see that someone smoked a "bowel", I snicker like a 10-year-old.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I just had Mac Baren 7 Seas Royal Blend today for the time, it's quite nice. Very mellow, gentle and slightly sweet taste.
And I'm ordering some Shortcut To Mushrooms now ... because it's been recommended and for the sheer LotR nostalgia.

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
Welcome, chandlerjr.

My suggestions aren't based on a lot of experience, but I'll add them anyway just to keep you confused.
For and aromatic, try Lane 1-Q.

For a Latakia/English blend try Seattle Evening.
I'd also recommend trying a Virginia or Virginia/Perique blend and one Burley tobacco, but I'll let others suggest something there.
I hope you find something you like. Enjoy the search. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.